• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ultimate

Jkoz

Anyone out there play ultimate as well as disc golf? I am going to my first pickup game on Monday to try it out. I have never thrown an ultimate disc but have experience with regular whamo type discs and midnight flyers.

I live in Michigan and the winters kill the disc golf game, so my thought is to take up indoor ultimate once the snow flies.

Just looking for any feedback around the game or experiences to be good fast and not mess up the dg game.

To be good fast be very althetic, quick, and run endlessly. Short passes that don't turn it over are always best.

You will have a disc throwing adjustment but just throw the lid light on a hyzer and you'll be all right....oh and fan grip. I wouldn't even think about a power grip.

Yeah the short passes are what I have in mind at first. I don't know if they'll be able to handle my nasty forehand lol.
All I know is it looks cool and will be a great way to keep the throwing arm up to speed during the winter months. Grand Rapids michigan cleared 120" of snow last winter and it put the kibosh on playing dg a lot. It feels like I spend the first two months every spring just getting back to where I was the year before.

I've been playing my whole life and love it. Although I'm not impressed with the new low-risk style of Ultimate (short, safe passes, handlers, the stack, designed plays, zone D). I personally think Ultimate is much more fun when it is just man on man D, big crazy hucks, hammers, everyone has an equal chance to throw, etc.

I look at it like soccer. You need a foundation to bust out of for the big play. Im sure you've played a bunch more than me, but particularly when starting out in fast paced sports, it's good to learn a rhythm before going for a bomb every time.

I got into Disc Golf because I played Ultimate. Totally different world. Ultimate is exercise, but fun as hell....I enjoy it a lot. Very different than DG. but sweet

I learned that this game existed from an old Atari game in the '80's. I have never seen it. It doesn't exist on the west coast as far as I know. I know more serious rugby players. To that point, Lacrosse doesn't exist here either. It's like like trying to find professional field hockey players......

the funny thing is when I started playing DG in the late 70's I threw an ultimate frisbee lol

I've been playing my whole life and love it. Although I'm not impressed with the new low-risk style of Ultimate (short, safe passes, handlers, the stack, designed plays, zone D). I personally think Ultimate is much more fun when it is just man on man D, big crazy hucks, hammers, everyone has an equal chance to throw, etc.

I'm with you. I played pickup Ultimate for >20 years and loved it. I tried a few leagues where people had assigned tasks (huckers, runners, handlers) and it wasn't as fun as the good days of wide open play where everybody was equal and it was a game of attrition. On the other hand, I played the other weekend with a bunch of high schoolers and all they did was make end zone to end zone throws. Not much running involved after the kickoff - you basically chose which end zone you would stay in where you either defended and made long throws or you tried to make the catch in a crowd. Probably fun for them since it became a body position and who can jump highest game - but for an old timer like me, it was boring.

When I went to breakwell steel I saw a kickass ultimate game going on. I am "retired" from ultimate but I used to be able to run and catch bombs..I got good hands for catching. Now that I am addicted to dg I learning how to throw, but I do like to have a catch with the ultimate disc it's all about timing and it seems to help my dg release timing.

I learned that this game existed from an old Atari game in the '80's. I have never seen it. It doesn't exist on the west coast as far as I know. I know more serious rugby players. To that point, Lacrosse doesn't exist here either. It's like like trying to find professional field hockey players......

I played on a club at SF State in the mid 90's. Tournaments at Sac State and UCSC, with other college level clubs. Big fun.

I started playing both Disc Golf and Ultimate around the same time in 2009, and started to get competitive in both as well. I've played a handful of Ultimate tournaments over the years, ranging from more serious tournaments with Men's Club Teams, and very casual events with a bunch of guys looking to play Ultimate and party.

I still play Ultimate in Summer League here in KC (sometimes Spring/Fall league if I have time). It's fun, it's a good workout, and I have a lot of really good friends that play as well. And I still play one or two 'tournaments' a year, although I usually stick to the casual events where most everyone is there to have a good time.

Having said that, I knew I couldn't play both competitively and I had to pick one. I chose Disc golf. Duh.

Throwing a Frisbee, or 'Lid' is a lot easier than people think, although it seems to plague disc golfers especially. Just throw it softly, like it's a flippy putter or something. No snap is required, just a soft release.

I tried ultimate, and thought I would really like it, but coming from basketball background, ultimate was too big of an adjustment for me. Peace-loving ultimate people were getting pissed off at me for being too physical -- boxing out and trying to rip the disc out of their hands and elbowing for position and so forth -- just natural stuff for basketball. But I found it was difficult to avoid falling into those habits, having played hoops for many many years. Maybe more serious ultimate players are OK with a little physical play, but the games I got in were way too non-confrontational for my taste.

Don't get me wrong, I love me some golfin, but I originally come from more of an Ultimate background. Flinging plastic is probably my favorite thing to do with my time. The biggest down side to playing Ult is the need for a larger group. If my buddies weren't always flaking out on pick up games I would have never gotten as serious about golf. No matter what you are chucking, the flight of a perfectly thrown disc is one of the most spectacular things to witness.

The trump card for Ult is the sheer exhilaration of the entire game. Granted, hitting an ace is quite an experience, but laying out for a diving grab is one of the best feelings one can have (except for the lost skin afterwards).

What it all boils down to is the fact that I have only hit 1ace in all my years of golfing. However, I try to make at least 1 toe- dragging catch in the endzone for a score each time I play a game of Ultimate. Now that's a rush you just can't expect to receive from every round played out on the course.

Be careful though. The more time you spend hucking a lid, the greater the detriment to your golf throw. Ifound this out a few summers back when we were able to get a couple matches a week while hardly getting any rounds in.

Nah it's hard to drink beer and play ultimate at the same time.

in my undergrad years, my schools team would easily disprove that.

we had some points where it was mandatory to play a round with a beer in your hand. also had a 5 gallon jug of apple pie. ah to live the glory days again

oh but to OP. as someone else suggested, there two completely different worlds. dg is laid back and you can play alone. ultimate is a huge workout and competitive. youll understand. both are a ton of fun though

Ultimate is pretty awesome. OP, if you don't play at too high a level, you will probably amaze them with how far you can throw. Similarly, if you don't throw a TON of forehand playing golf, you will be amazed with how good they are are throwing forehand flicks.