• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Unconventional putters?

I putt my Shock upside down in serious wind. I've also been having quite a bit of success with the Tensor...It doesn't have that "glide away" problem, that's for sure(though it's still a bit fast).

We had some crazy wind the other night at league, and I was sinking 20 footers with my xXx.

We try to do glow rounds here when we can, I have a full set of 4 glow discs, but when we set up at my friends 12 hole home wooded tech course instead of the actual 18 hole park, I usually just play a one disc round with my Glow Champ Coyote and it does as well if not better for putting as my Glow Champ San Marino Aviar (and holds great lines in the woods as well).

one of the local players where i play putts with a innova panther. and he putts real WELL!!! at one time I was putting with an elite x comet a while ago. worked good for me just really glidey

If I'm putting into a massive headwind I'll use a gator, but I'm a push putter so I pretty much stick to my wizards.

Back when I started playing I used a DX Valk for everything for a couple years. Then I picked up a champ orc and threw that for a while. It wasn't until like last year that I started carrying and throwing more than one disc, and it is sooooo much better. I was completely oblivious for years, though always enthusiastic.

I usually do this if I'm having a real rough day through some holes, switching to something outside of my usual putters like my Skeeter or some other mid helps me stop overthinking everything and just throw it at the chains. I've known a couple people who use mids like rocs/buzzes. I hesitate to say that there's anyone truly "better" putting with non-putters. One friend of mine only has a cyote and a teebird and is a pretty solid player. The cyote is almost a putter itself anyway though, so it's not quite as extreme as using other mids. If you're just playing casually and don't want to carry more than a few discs, short mids can work fine.

There are actually some very good options for shallow rimmed putters, I would highly suggest this over putting with mids. I have a classic roc that has a nice shallow rim, I believe the DD Judge also has a shallow rim and is well liked on this site at least (usually a good sign).

i will qualify my earlier statement, at least, by letting you know i only used the x comet for long putting. inside the circle it was a regular putter.

dat glide, yo.

I have been using KC Pro Rocs. They come off my hand clean and can do all sorts of lines. Added benefit is I don't have to swap discs whether 10ft or 70ft out.

I am running Ion putters at the moment, but they are more like a mid than a putter. Fly sim to the Roc, just straighter and easier to control.

I have a friend who puts with a Cro and does very well. I used one as an approach disc until I jumped on the Roc bandwaggon.

Every now and then when I end up at a pitch 'n putt somebody will want to one disc. For the record, I think one discing is stupid but whatever. For a long time I used to choose a mid as my one disc, but the damn things always lift and I miss all my putts high. I really could not get a feel for the difference. I have to one disc with a putter to be able to make any putts.

Into a strong wind I usually just flip my putter upside down to offset the lift or aim lower.

For longer approaches/runs at the basket I use a lid like a Rattler or Polecat. They have better glide than a standard putter but when they are done, they are done and just set down. They are a better mix of attributes for me than throwing a mid there and risking the blow-by.

In short: for putting, I prefer putters. :|

Breakers are criminally overlooked, as are most of the DGA discs. Breakers are awesome.