• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

understable max distance

AxMan

hypothetical question: imagine you are in a flat open field. zero trees, zero wind. all that matters is pure distance. You have to throw the most understable disc you can imagine - I mean give it 10% power and it rolls.

How do you throw the disc - as in grip, throwing style, angle, etc? And how far will your throw travel either in the air or rolling?

That's not the disc you want to be throwing in your given situation. Too many variables and too easy to mess up. The top pros are the top pros for a reason - consistency.

Also, I'll bite.

Super hyzerflip, nose up, power grip, aiming fairly far left of the landing zone. Disc rises, flips flat, turns over, and rolls. Should go far. Still not a good choice for your hypothetical hole.

Even super flippy catch discs can be thrown far. Grip doesnt really matter as long as its fundamentally correct. Disc spin is more important than disc speed with these types of discs.

So probably throw a standstill or a one step throw, add some hyzer as needed. Give just a little more height than normal, and think spin. Smooth smooth smooth. Just enough body rotation to get enough power to get some distance. It's all in the wrist - which is harder to time, but with practice you can do it.

I can throw a Beetle 250' like this, and its very understable. I also used to bag a Jade (150g class) which was also a flip machine. But I could really get that thing to soar with very little effort. Understable discs are a lot of fun! Try them...

hypothetical question: imagine you are in a flat open field. zero trees, zero wind. all that matters is pure distance.

Something a bit lighter than usual, understable, thrown with more height than usual on a hyzer flip line and hopefully enough stability on the disc so it rides a long not too wide, s-curve.

Angle integrity. But something that flips with 10% power is not a disc I ever plan to be throwing. That reminds me of the $0.50 Walmart "frisbees" that made me fall in love with Ultrastars in the first place.

Beat DX leopard might be in the ballpark of useful discs for a disc golf scenario, and Eagle loves that beat D-line FD. As far as drivers, maybe a Nuke SS? I'm not a roller person and haven't really started working on a roller game. Maybe when I grow up...

For sure I would figure out what release angle and power would have the thing barrel rolling 360deg+ on a backhand throw, hopefully flipping to flat and gliding out. I imagine it would hit the ground before LSS kicked in.

scomahawk. I did this with a 150 dx katana last week, it is pretty entertaining. If I have to make it fly more normal then throw it as high as possible on a spike hyzer and hope it glides when it turns over

Latest posts