• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Understable mid range.

primal dg

Eagle Member
I know many people don't believe in understable mid ranges but I think I need one. This is why.. I want to practice a hyzer flip turnover shot for a specific hole and to learn a new line/shot. I want to throw a mid on a hyzer and have it flip up flat and turn over late in the flight out to about 320ish.

I have a g star leopard that I use for understable fairway but it's pretty stable and won't turnover at 320. My initial thought was Westside tursas. And then I thought mvp because I've really liked every mvp discs I've thrown apart from the vector.
Tell me what you think. Go!

I would look into a Switch. It will definitely turn before it gets to the 320 mark, if thrown with a touch of hyzer.

That late turnover is hard to achieve with an out of the box disc in my experience. The best late turn flight paths I have ever seen were with old heavy beat Rocs and putters. Takes a long time to get a disc to that point. The out of the box under-stable stuff just ended up turning and burning for me once they beat in...could be a form issue I dunno. Right now I am throwing a flat champ Mako3 and I can turn it over or throw it dead straight..but that late flip hasn't been possible yet.

My Fuse is really flippy that way, the disc doesn't want to fade so it's just trying to manage the angle, height and power to achieve the line.

I'll recommend a Crosslap Lucky. That's my go-to understable mid.

ESP Meteor around 170g and flat. If you have a PIAS near by, look through their used selection.

Comet is also a good sugesstion

Are you looking for it to land to the right? Maybe a Kite or a Stratus? I don't know if those are stable enough to hit 320 though. Have you tried a DX Leopard?

I'll recommend a Crosslap Lucky. That's my go-to understable mid.

I've been trying out a lot of understable mids. Flying Squirrel, Antidote, Lucky, M5, Meteor, Fuse.

The Lucky would be my choice for this shot, too. Honorable mention would go to the Antidote for being close, but it has a little more LSS than you're wanting.

Aren't Comets suppose to be somewhat straight at 320 feet when thrown with clean form? I have one and it tends to go right... but I don't have clean form.

Meteor is my favorite for that slot. We've got a downhill hole with a huge oak tree blocking any staight or right-side approach to the basket. I'll throw the Meteor flat to the left and watch it glide right and settle in front of the basket nearly every time. Love that disc and I just grin when people watch me place it like that on a RHBH shot.

Dude...Tursas is MADE for that shot. You can even get a heavy one and it will still break late off a hyzerflip. If it flips too soon on you, an Underworld is a fairway driver version of the same flight.

Tursas and Meteors both work really well and pretty much fly the same speed and turn. A well worn X Comet will to but wants to be thrown higher/floatier like a putter.

Latest posts