• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Understable only for beginner?

Sir put the wraith down and step away. That's a lot of disc for a beginner, I am with the rest of the crowd stick with the mids. I think the overstable disc isn't hurting as much as the speed of the disc. The Wraith is really fast.
The Wraith was actually my first driver too, I found it too overstable at first but seeing as it was my only disc it got beat in pretty quickly and was flippy enough for me to throw well. If you bought one in DX and it beat in quick it would be great. I would also recommend a 150 class Teebird, I bet that would be perfect for you.

Last edited:
Picking an understable driver can lengthen your drives a bit, but the better route would be to pick a slower driver. The reason your Stratus is flying straight has more to do with the speed of the disc than the disc's stability.

Think of it this way: the faster the speed of the disc, the faster you have to throw it in order to get the intended flight path, which will vary from disc to disc. I refer to this minimum required speed as a disc's "cruising speed"...the speed at which the disc actually starts to glide. A disc like the Wraith is intended to be thrown with 400'+ of power...and if you aren't throwing with that kind of power, it will fly very overstable (instead of straight, like it was intended to fly).

You might be able to get a fast & understable disc to fly straight for a little way, but then it's going to dive hard to the left...because you never got it up to "cruising speed". If you tried a slower disc that has a cruising speed you can match, you'll be able to make it fly the way it was intended to fly...

That being said, I'd recommend something like a Polaris LS, Cheetah, or Cyclone...anything in the stable fairway driver category. Learning proper form is going to take you much further in the long run.
Good advise. I am kinda entertained how times change. Back in the 90's we used to tell new players to stay away from Cyclones and Cheetahs, as they were the longest/fastest discs on the market. Back then we would recommend a Shark/Hawk and Aviar/Magnet and tell them to work on form. Now we recommend the very discs we used to tell folks to avoid since they are so much better for new players than the stupidfast drivers out there.

As far as keeping that stupidfast driver with you for other shots...telling a disc golfer to carry a Wraith around but not to throw it is like telling an alcoholic to be sure to keep a bottle of Jack Daniels with him at all times. You may know you really can't throw it, but if you are on a 270' hole and you max your distance at 250' that little voice in the back of your hear is going to yell "THROW THE WRAITH!!!" So while you may say "I'm just using it for hyzers" if you are honest with yourself you will know it's still you go-to driver. It's better off at home.

A point that has not been made about stupidfast drivers is that they are extremely nose angle sensitive. Until you develop good form and a consistent form that you can repeat every throw, your drives with stupidfast drivers will be all over the place. If you mess up and get the nose up, you are toast. Until you can consistently throw with the nose down, the stupidfast drivers will create more problems for you than they solve.

Sir put the wraith down and step away. That's a lot of disc for a beginner, I am with the rest of the crowd stick with the mids. I think the overstable disc isn't hurting as much as the speed of the disc. The Wraith is really fast.

I agree. It took me a while to have enough power to throw a Wraith. I like the Star and DX Wraith. The Champs are very overstable. Great in a head wind. I would keep in for throwing into heavy wind.

Latest posts