• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

unrealistic distances

FWIW, I've seen guys who can throw over 500', on a golf line, and on flat ground no less. It does indeed happen.

But I think the OP's point was that there are a lot of exaggerators out there, not that everyone is an exaggerator.
I am not sure what the OP was about?
I read it as saying he doesn't think anyone can throw that far, but then he states that he can.
Huh?

OP just hasn't seen it in person. I have admit that a 450+ foot throw is pretty amazing, especially when most of us struggle to reach 250-350.

I think its amazing how many people say they can throw 400 -450 feet and they throw midrange and putters to 300 - 350. If you go to a football field and can throw goal line to goal line that's 300. If you go back of endzone to back of endzone that's 360 feet and that's big to do go see for yourself,(Or buy a 300 ' tape measure with a flat field and put markers at 300, 350 . ) Im not trying to sound like Im hating on people and if you can then that's amazing. I myself am athletic , have good arm speed and great snap and good form and i can get endzone to endzone so I just kinda ?????? When I hear all these unrealistic numbers. Anyone know what Im talking about?? Or do people just assume because of the signs at the tee pad.( P.s. south Fl sea level flat ground)

I know the sentiment. I was always pretty athletic, a baseball player primarily. When I first started playing disc golf, I didn't think that I'd ever be able to throw as far backhand as I could forehand. After getting hooked, playing three months, buying a lot of used drivers off eBay and spending about an hour every day throwing 100+ drives, I worked up to about 320-340 feet backhand and managed to get off one 380' forehand throw. I was extremely curious about the distances that I was throwing and bought a rolling measure for my daily practice area (it's how I marked off a 320' distance marker on the street in front of my house).

Eventually, I realized that I would never be able to last throwing forehand because it is just too tough on the elbow for me at my age. So I started focusing on backhand and after going through about 3-4 changes in form, I can routinely throw over 400' over level ground. I now have a laser rangefinder with me and ocassionally shoot the distance back to the tee sign from my disc when I want to know how far I throw it.

I've also played with many people who can throw much farther than me. As to exaggeration, I have judged two distance competitions at events that I have run. Of the people who competed, about a quarter of the tournament competitors, almost all of them could get to 400' measured with a laser rangefinder. Distances ranged from around 380' to 450'.

Your football field and tape measure suggestions and incredulity are understandable if you haven't figured out the correct form. So I'll be the one to tell you, if you really are athletic and can only throw endzone to endzone you probably don't really have "good arm speed and great snap." 300' with a fairway driver should be a low to moderate effort throw. If you are putting all you have into it and that is near your max D, then you need very badly to work on your form instead of giving up trying to improve and challenging the veracity of anyone who says that they can throw farther than you.

I am not sure what the OP was about?
I read it as saying he doesn't think anyone can throw that far, but then he states that he can.
Huh?

Point is, he can throw decently and that's endzone to endzone (360'). Ergo, 400' is FAR and 500' is REALLY FAR. I agree. When I read someone post about throwing 500', I take it with a grain of internet salt, though I'm sure it's possible. I've seen a couple guys throw that far (one was Paul McBeth), and it's impressive. Nevertheless, it's not common. If I see them on the course, I'll give them some props (while trying to figure out how to duplicate their success).

OP just hasn't seen it in person. I have admit that a 450+ foot throw is pretty amazing, especially when most of us struggle to reach 250-350.

I think his point is that the 450+ throw isn't the norm, although it would seem that it is when reading through the site.

It isn't, is it?

No. The norm, I'd say is about 300-350 (estimating generously) for guys who have put in some work and figured some things out. A lot of people say they went from 300-400 ...which to me is like saying you went from 315 to 405 on the bench press, progress like that doesn't happen in a rapid time. It takes months and months of grinding it out and putting in work to get that reward. Like someone else mentioned, when you see someone that says they throw 450-500 ft, take it with a grain of salt. It's possible, and a problem I see a lot on my home course is when baskets get moved, short basket placements were put in after tee signs, so they're not accurate. The tee sign will read something like 400, but in reality they moved placement up 80 feet.

If they throw 400-450 ft, awesome, if they don't...they don't...why does it bother some people so much here when people say they throw that distance? Do others feel threatened by the possibility that someone here throws 400 feet? Either way, who cares. I'm sort of amazed you created an account to post this. Let it go bro, let it go.

That's the way I see it. Seems like people who can't throw 400 tend to get very butthurt When they hear other people say they can.

What amazes me is that I see a heck of a lot more people bashing about "internet distance" then I see people trying to make a big deal out of how far they throw.

A lot of the cannons around here are pretty chill about it. I've found that to be true of huge arms in real life as well.

This happens alot. The talent pools vary greatly in locales around the world. Some regions, 940 rated you should go MPO. Others, 940 gets you maybe top 5 in INT. Same can be said for distances. This is also hugely influenced by local courses. If there's no call to throw over 350' for any of the local shots, very few people will develop the ability.

That's the way I see it. Seems like people who can't throw 400 tend to get very butthurt When they hear other people say they can.

What amazes me is that I see a heck of a lot more people bashing about "internet distance" then I see people trying to make a big deal out of how far they throw.

A lot of the cannons around here are pretty chill about it. I've found that to be true of huge arms in real life as well.

Yep.

And a small % of disc golfers can throw 400+ (a very very small % ~450 or more). Not all disc golfers are on this site, lots of people just like to go and throw stuff. But ones who are on here are likely a little more into it and likely throw a bit further than the average guys who chuck it 200'. So that skews the %'s. Plus a lot of people lie to feel better or embellish and a lot of people also just flat out don't have any clue how far 400' is (it's very far!). The thing is making up that distance really helps no one (you're throwing a piece of plastic, the point is to have fun doing it not make up stories), and as well it gets you worse advice on what disc to buy/throw/whatever if you are off estimating your distances by over ~30' even.

But another thing that is always true, if you think you have "good" (somewhat sarcastic) arm speed and you aren't throwing 400' or close to it, you don't. And if you think being athletic or strong means you should instantly throw 400' (especially since skinny little Simon Lizotte can outcrush everyone) you're very very wrong.

Last edited:
If you go to a football field and can throw goal line to goal line that's 300. If you go back of endzone to back of endzone that's 360 feet

Funny, the field i practice on is 100 meters from endzone to endzone and 10 meters endzone on each side on top of that. That's 330 feet playing field and 400 including the endzones.

Silly european fields we have :D

I'm definitely trying to control my "internet distances", I'll be the first to admit that. The problem I think is, the longer the hole the less accurate the sign distance is. Factor in a slight down hill line, and the next thing you know you're parking that 400ft hole so now you're throwing 400ft (all the time) and ready to tell the world about it. :) lol.. Since I've started measuring my distance in field practice I realize my typical golf throws are 285-300ft, my s-curve shots are 330ft, and my high anny flex shots can go 350+ when everything is lined up right. And yes.. seeing someone throw a low, straight, 400ft+ golf shot is an amazing thing to see in person. When I witnessed Simon Lizotte doing this with a putter or mid range, it was a serious wtf moment. Incredible and I'll never forget it.

If they throw 400-450 ft, awesome, if they don't...they don't...why does it bother some people so much here when people say they throw that distance? Do others feel threatened by the possibility that someone here throws 400 feet? Either way, who cares. I'm sort of amazed you created an account to post this. Let it go bro, let it go.

Great, yet another how far can you throw thread.

Last edited:
I really ripped one this weekend and parked a 204 foot hole. Most of my drives are under 200 feet. Flicking a distance driver with a tailwind, I've probably hit ~250 a few times.

I feel so ashamed.

I have lost some distance the last year or so.
My average golf drives are 250' - 275'.
If I am having a good day I can get it out over 300'.

But, I am a noodle arm!!!

Most of the guys I play with, can get it out 375' - 400' .
With many if them going 450'+