• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Upper Park Designs Backpack Bags

We advertise 17 because it's the perfect amount where no discs are really getting in the way of one another. But yes, you can fit more..

Now I'm only showing this to you guys because it's my job to push my bags to the absolute limit to see what they can do. Plus I thought it would be fun to show you a Shift actually stuffed :D

This is 31 mids (Buzzz) inside a GMC v4 Shift.

As most of you know, this is not realistic. The inside discs were impossible to pull out one at a time but the outside pockets still worked surprisingly well.

That is awesome!

We advertise 17 because it's the perfect amount where no discs are really getting in the way of one another. But yes, you can fit more..

Now I'm only showing this to you guys because it's my job to push my bags to the absolute limit to see what they can do. Plus I thought it would be fun to show you a Shift actually stuffed :D

This is 31 mids (Buzzz) inside a GMC v4 Shift.

As most of you know, this is not realistic. The inside discs were impossible to pull out one at a time but the outside pockets still worked surprisingly well.

That's impressive, kind of looks like a loaded golf Mahal with discs in both the side pockets. It looks like 20 wouldn't stress it at all. I should have mentioned I prefer shallow rimmed mids and drivers, so I can fit one more disc than some people when they're all in a row like a traditional grip style bag.
Will the mesh pockets stretch out and lose their elasticity if I carry six on a side instead of four most of the time?

Just picked up a Rebel. Haven't taken it on the course yet, but enjoyed walking up to the field with it today. 7xeach of Northmen, Warships and Shields fit comfortably with a jacket, towel and gang of handwarmers in the side pockets. Material is great (had to use quilting needles to get my Sun Records and Rat Fink patches sewn on as upholstery needles kept breaking off...kind of a testament to how sturdy the thing is). Looking forward to getting some rounds in with this soon.

That's impressive, kind of looks like a loaded golf Mahal with discs in both the side pockets. It looks like 20 wouldn't stress it at all. I should have mentioned I prefer shallow rimmed mids and drivers, so I can fit one more disc than some people when they're all in a row like a traditional grip style bag.
Will the mesh pockets stretch out and lose their elasticity if I carry six on a side instead of four most of the time?

I just pulled my shift over to me and found out I am carrying 17 discs in it. It doesn't feel overloaded at all. I have 3 putters, 6 mids, 2 deeper fairways, and 6 shallower fairways/drivers.

In my set up, I have 5 out the sides (2 in the top pocket, 3 in the bottom). I could easily adjust have have 6 on each side, but I would probably have to do a fairway and 2 drivers per side.

I got mine under a month ago, so the pockets really aren't stretched out either. I assume with a few more months of wear and usage (or storage at the very least), I could get 20 without a worry about it.

Got a Zuca for XMas and love the seat, but my Shift is still my go-to bag for casual/league/new course rounds. Cannot be happier with the comfort, ergonomics, or ease-of-use with my Shift.

A local shop owner was talking down UPD today and I almost fought him. :D (just kidding) There is literally ZERO downside to an Upper Parks bag aside from no wheels.

Best.
Backpacks.
Ever.

Got a Zuca for XMas and love the seat, but my Shift is still my go-to bag for casual/league/new course rounds. Cannot be happier with the comfort, ergonomics, or ease-of-use with my Shift.

A local shop owner was talking down UPD today and I almost fought him. :D (just kidding) There is literally ZERO downside to an Upper Parks bag aside from no wheels.

Best.
Backpacks.
Ever.

Ehhhhh....Nothing is perfect.

I carry 18 typically, but have fit 20 and I didn't feel like I was stressing the bag at all. In addition, the Shift has two elastic internal mesh pockets in the lower storage compartment that I've used to get up to 22 for a little bit. (carried utility discs that I rarely use) After about 2 months in summer heat, those two discs warped a little bit though.

I had a similar experience, but mine were visibly warped after a couple of rounds (in the dead of summer though). I tried stuffing a couple of utility drivers in those pockets, and after some examination of the cause, I found that the discs I had in vertical storage pushed on the rims and started to warp them. Maybe it works a little better with a thicker rim? Either way I don't think I'd recommend it to anyone. So now I stick to 17ish, which works on pretty much any course for me, and none in the storage compartment.

Did you get the bag cart? If so, how do you like how the shift works in there? I feel like it sits in there fine but I probably would prefer a Rebel (which I'll eventually get just for this purpose)

Last edited:
Did you get the bag cart? If so, how do you like how the shift works in there? I feel like it sits in there fine but I probably would prefer a Rebel (which I'll eventually get just for this purpose)

No. I brought my bag into my buddy's shop and the Shift was too wide for the Zuca backpack cart. It would fit if you didn't use the side pockets, but with 4 putters on one side and 4 drivers on the other, it would not fit in the cart. I went with an orange cart/black bag combo.

Any elastic will wear down and loosen up over time, so carrying 6 per side will cause that to happen faster. If I had to guess, it would take 5+ years of over stretching to notice a real loss in elasticity but either way, the pockets will likely never become unusable. Even at the worst loss of elasticity I could imagine, they would still be 4 outer pockets :thmbup:

I had a similar experience, but mine were visibly warped after a couple of rounds (in the dead of summer though). I tried stuffing a couple of utility drivers in those pockets, and after some examination of the cause, I found that the discs I had in vertical storage pushed on the rims and started to warp them. Maybe it works a little better with a thicker rim? Either way I don't think I'd recommend it to anyone.

This is exactly right. The inside mesh pockets were not designed to hold discs. With the outer discs making up most of the structure of the bag, there is an uneven pressure put on the discs that are stored in these pockets. I've heard it from both sides, some people have had problems and others have done it for years with no problems. But I'd recommend keeping extra discs loose in the bottom instead of inside the inner mesh pockets.

No. I brought my bag into my buddy's shop and the Shift was too wide for the Zuca backpack cart. It would fit if you didn't use the side pockets, but with 4 putters on one side and 4 drivers on the other, it would not fit in the cart. I went with an orange cart/black bag combo.

I have all drivers on the sides, maybe that makes the difference? I fit it into my friends backpack cart just fine that way. Seemed like the side pouches weren't really usable though, which is what I was wondering about. Will still eventually get a Rebel to put in my cart (when I get it)

I agree. Can't seem to find the first teaser pic either.

We've made some tweaks since the first sample pictures I posted.

Were now looking at a mixed bag (putters, mids, drivers) of 18 discs. Front zippered storage. Mini disc/scorecard pocket up top. Two huge bottle pockets. Abrasion resistant, waterproof bottom. $55.

Please note this is still a sample bag, not the final version.
http://imgur.com/hxlDGfR

That's quite a few discs. I think it would be a nice solution for people who don't already have the Shift, but I'm not sure It's enough of a change for me. I was thinking your target audience would be something more in between the Focus and Shift, like a 12 disc bag?

it's 55 dollars and you're complaining that it holds too many discs? if i was looking for a budget backpack, I would get this over the sniper(too basic) or bp-3(only one cupholder).

it's 55 dollars and you're complaining that it holds too many discs? if i was looking for a budget backpack, I would get this over the sniper(too basic) or bp-3(only one cupholder).

Not complaining, just noting that it may take sales away from the Shift. And noting that it's probably not going to sell to people who already have the Shift because they have such similar disc storage and build.

We've made some tweaks since the first sample pictures I posted.

Were now looking at a mixed bag (putters, mids, drivers) of 18 discs. Front zippered storage. Mini disc/scorecard pocket up top. Two huge bottle pockets. Abrasion resistant, waterproof bottom. $55.

Please note this is still a sample bag, not the final version.
http://imgur.com/hxlDGfR

Nice design, I was thinking you were busy tweaking that original design.

I'm wondering about the stress on the zipper from discs in the flip down front pocket, otherwise it's looking good for the $.