• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Upper Park Designs Backpack Bags

Holy cow. It's a Pinch! There are so many things about a great bag that they remade so terribly, but I guess that's what you need to do to get the price to $20. It's sad to see these bigger companies fight to make absolute crap bags. You'll also notice that it has no Ogio branding, that's because Ogio would never put their name on something like that. That's a bare-bone, direct China copy of the Pinch. There is no doubt in my mind that they sent one of my bags to China and told them to copy it.

Let's break it down. The easiest way to determine if a bag is a reversed engineered copy is to follow the material paneling. You'll notice from the side stretch mesh, to the lower front zipper pocket, the way the bottom material wraps up and is sewn in-between the side and the front, matches the Pinch. The profile paneling with the slimmed top, the "baseball like" curved stitching on the circle flap, the top webbing strap with dual D-rings... it bring back so many memories! It's almost comical how little they tried to do things on their own. "Oh he's got a little pocket on the top, let's put a zipper there...." What's funny is the parts they chose not to copy are all the parts that cost money. Not even worth going into at this point, but from one bag manufacturer to a company that had always tried to make relatively good bags, this is a sad step in the wrong direction and you've lost my respect.

I'm sure they will sell a ton, but when they break down in a year, at least they've got people interested in the design of the Pinch.

Plus it has a huge ugly blue front pocket with the most hideous logo on the front! I dont use my pinch for disc golf but have carried it as my EDC every day since Christmas 2017 and its still in almost brand new shape. I would never take DD's knockoff into my place of business that thing looks hideous.

I like the Shift and the Pinch, if I have understood correctly the Rebel is kinda big brother hybrid of those two?

Shift feels fantastic but at the moment I usually carry around 16-18 discs and would prefer a slightly larger bag, anyone got experience how Rebel works with that amount and how is the comfyness compared to the Shift and Pinch?

UPD does not seems to have any Rebels in stock..

Shift feels fantastic but at the moment I usually carry around 16-18 discs and would prefer a slightly larger bag, anyone got experience how Rebel works with that amount and how is the comfyness compared to the Shift and Pinch?

UPD Rebel is my main bag. I carry around 18 discs in the bottom compartment just fine. I can only compare to the Shift, but I'd say for the extra capacity it is just as comfortable. Usually I carry 21-25 discs, 2 32-oz drinks, a stool, towels, snacks, a rain jacket, etc. Holds up great; a solid bag.

Anyone used the shift with a water bladder/camelback/hydropack in it yet? Wanting to lighten my load this weekend in terms of discs/weight, while still being able to hold a ton of water.

I have the v2 pinch. It's a great bag I like it a lot but unfortunately one of my straps is ripping off.

Just got the Shift v6, had been on the fence for years about switching to a backpack, the weight distribution of the Shift sold me - and it has not disappointed! My first day out was Beaver Ranch (Conifer, CO), I was practically bounding up steep inclines instead of crawling up them hunched over like I used to with my old tourney+quads setup. That alone was worth the price of admission.

Holy cow. It's a Pinch! There are so many things about a great bag that they remade so terribly, but I guess that's what you need to do to get the price to $20. It's sad to see these bigger companies fight to make absolute crap bags. You'll also notice that it has no Ogio branding, that's because Ogio would never put their name on something like that. That's a bare-bone, direct China copy of the Pinch. There is no doubt in my mind that they sent one of my bags to China and told them to copy it.

Let's break it down. The easiest way to determine if a bag is a reversed engineered copy is to follow the material paneling. You'll notice from the side stretch mesh, to the lower front zipper pocket, the way the bottom material wraps up and is sewn in-between the side and the front, matches the Pinch. The profile paneling with the slimmed top, the "baseball like" curved stitching on the circle flap, the top webbing strap with dual D-rings... it bring back so many memories! It's almost comical how little they tried to do things on their own. "Oh he's got a little pocket on the top, let's put a zipper there...." What's funny is the parts they chose not to copy are all the parts that cost money. Not even worth going into at this point, but from one bag manufacturer to a company that had always tried to make relatively good bags, this is a sad step in the wrong direction and you've lost my respect.

I'm sure they will sell a ton, but when they break down in a year, at least they've got people interested in the design of the Pinch.

I have lost so much respect for DD in the last year that I'll never buy any product from them.

However, I'll continue to buy UPD and tell people your bags are great because I've had a Rebel V4 for almost two years now and it still looks brand new and I use it atleast four to five times a week.

If anyone cares why, here are my reasons for disliking DD.

1. Rusco promoting fracking. If you don't know why fracking is a HUGE problem, Google it.
2. McCabe's arrogance is showing through. Watch their podcast. He seems genuinely disinterested in it. Also, watch the "is this disc right for you?" series video on the Gatekeeper. A few days before that video, people were saying stable is straight (that's another item I won't dive into), but he states in the video about stableness with an ass hole tone. Basically, he's trolling anyone who doesn't have his thought process.
3. I know this links with Lat 64, but their plastic is pure crap. I hit a metal light pole from about 150 feet away with a Lucid disc which caused it to produce a huge gouge in the disc. Knowing that shouldn't have happened, I took a few other discs i have to compare. The plastics were Innova Star, Legacy Icon, Prodigy 400(s), and Discraft Z. I stood maybe 20 feet from the pole and hit each one on it. None of these plastics gouged the way theirs did. Only dents or scuffs.

I think there is another issue, but I can't remember right now. Add on this direct rip off of the Pinch, just verifies my dislike for their company. Overhyped products is all I see from DD now.

3. I know this links with Lat 64, but their plastic is pure crap. I hit a metal light pole from about 150 feet away with a Lucid disc which caused it to produce a huge gouge in the disc. Knowing that shouldn't have happened, I took a few other discs i have to compare. The plastics were Innova Star, Legacy Icon, Prodigy 400(s), and Discraft Z. I stood maybe 20 feet from the pole and hit each one on it. None of these plastics gouged the way theirs did. Only dents or scuffs.

Crazy stuff I also had a similar issue, I was trying to reach a kinda island hole surrounded by rocks from about 200ft away and was throwing sort of a spike hyzer so the disc would stick. I threw almost my whole bag of drivers innova, prodigy, kastaplast, mvp, and discraft. All champion plastic equivalent, and every disc had a fresh dent, gouge, or scratch. I thought that was weird so I threw a prime justice from the drop zone about 30 ft away and hit the rocks again but surprise surprise just a light scuff. So obviously only lat64 makes quality discs. ;)

But back to bags, disc golf is small and most disc golfers are cheap or are not ready to put anymore money into the sport over discs and quite a bit are brand loyal. And no one really cares if a design is similar or copied they just want to support the company they like regardless.

I had two new disc golfers ask me about which bag they should upgrade to over their beginners disc golf starter bag. And considering comfort and quality and the ability to grow with their discs collection and interest in the sport I suggested bags around the $100 area as a starting point. But both felt that was too expensive so I went toward the $50 range. One ended up with the $20 DD cadet bag and the other chose the $20 innova discover bag.

Im still rocking the shift from 4 years ago and while I always recommend quality bags almost all of the casual disc golfers I've talked to have chosen price over quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Having used a slight shift for several years, and switched to a rebel this year, I think the shift is the better bag, but just not for tall people. Would love the strap length to be longer on the shift with removable waist strap.

That was my only real complaint about my slight shift, especially when compared to my golf mahal. Better ride for a taller person.

Seen UPD advertising alongside Discraft on some tournament coverage recently and they've updated some of their social media profiles.

Any sign of any new or updated stuff coming from them?

My 4 year old shift is still excellent, but fancy a change and an upgrade to a Rebel. If the new year gets here first, I'll be getting a pound.

Seen UPD advertising alongside Discraft on some tournament coverage recently and they've updated some of their social media profiles.

Any sign of any new or updated stuff coming from them?

My 4 year old shift is still excellent, but fancy a change and an upgrade to a Rebel. If the new year gets here first, I'll be getting a pound.

From UPD account on a reddit post earlier today:
"Hello! Still here. Sadly since taking over the Marketing Department at Discraft last year I haven't had the time to invest in a new order Upper Park order, especially for the Rebel. I've still got plans for a new Rebel with some awesome upgrades, I just can't give a timeframe. Discraft needed/needs a lot of attention and hopefully you guys can see that I'm still working hard in our sport!

In other news, you will soon see the return of the sub $20 Upper Park Draw bag, just rocking the Discraft logo this time 😁"

You can read the full comments here: https://www.reddit.com/r/discgolf/c..._from_my_upd_shift_are_the_pound_bags/ewuoxqv

I think the shift rides better. I also like the overall size more. I never had any issue with how the discs ride, it is atypical, but it's a good design. Sits well and doesn't tip. My only complaint is the straps are too small. It's not for a person over 6' I don't think. The hip pouches are well above the hip and make the waist belt useless and in the way.

Rebel is a lot better for my height. Straps fit well, and therefore is ultimately easier to wear for me. It's heavier though, and I don't pack it full so my discs fall out sometimes when it tips over.

Give me a taller shift and I'll be a happy camper.

My favorite park has two courses, and I tend to pack different disc for each. One of them requires way fewer discs for me. I could probably set up a shift just for that course. Hmmm

Love the Rebel v4. Only complain is about the three pockets inside. But I took the scissors and now the bag is perfect! Hope it holds up until there will be a new version on the market.

I ordered my first UP bag (pinch v2) last Thursday. I received an email with tracking number the following morning but it hasn't moved since. Do they ship a large quantity of bags at once or as they receive orders? I'm probably being impatient...but still curious.

Latest posts