• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Upper Park vs Grip

Jbultman

Birdie Member
Can't decide between 2 bags. Narrowed it down, want to hear from y'all...

Upper park shift
Grip B-series

Thoughts?

In that range of disc capacity, Upperpark. I really like the way the Shift has the discs splayed out. Easy to grab.

I feel like these kinds of questions turn into popularity contests. UP gets lots of love around here. But, I love both my grips.

I've had a C14 for years with no signs of giving in. Super comfy. Cuz of that I got a B15, and it's equally as awesome, fits plenty of plastic (21) and has plenty of storage. Very light for a bigger bag also, IMO. Maybe can't fit a jumpsuit, but I have more stuff than I'd need and room for more, accessories wise. Haven't experienced any tipping issues on reasonable planes, either.

Never had a UP, but youd be very happy with a Grip!

When I was bag-shopping, I tried several bags including a B15. Quality bag, but for me it was far less comfortable to wear than my Shift (FWIW, I am 5'10" with fairly broad shoulders). The Shift is an ergonomic wonder, and for my aging back that was the most important consideration. The drink holder is large enough to hold a 48 oz. Nalgene; my only concern about the Shift had been lack of drink storage, but that turned out to be a non-issue. The way the discs are stored/displayed is very convenient and intuitive, and makes it immediately obvious if all your discs are present.

Bag comfort is so idiosyncratic that I guess my best advice would be to try on examples of the bags you are considering if at all possible.

Can't decide between 2 bags. Narrowed it down, want to hear from y'all...

Upper park shift
Grip B-series

Thoughts?

Mainly depends on how many discs you carry, and what kind of organization you like. So, it's really a pretty personal decision.

I currently own both, and don't even get the grip B15 out of the closet anymore. I carry 16 discs and almost always 1 40oz hydroflask. The load is much more balanced for me with the shift than the B15. The ergonomics of the shift easily win out over the slight upgrade in storage space for me - and it's definitely not as big of an advantage for the B15 as it initially seems. I can carry everything I'd want in my shift as I could in the B15.

I own an UP Shift, but my buddy owns a Grip that I've played around with a bit. They're both amazingly quality bags with tons of features. So it's not like one is inherently better than the other. They do fill different roles, however.

My first bag was the cheap Academy Magellan for $30. Great bag for the price, but clearly not of the most quality build. I ended up wanting a new bag because I was only using ~10 discs per round and if I took out a significant amount of discs from the bottom compartment, they started falling over. I settled on the shift because it didn't matter if I loaded it with 3 discs or 15, they staid in place and were organized. Also, the single water bottle holder in the middle of the bag made the weight distribution much better.

You know what the Shift doesn't do well? Carry a ton of discs. When I'm doing field work, I'll try loading it up with 20 or so discs. They may fit, but they're hard as hell to get in and out. That's fine for field work, but wouldn't work well at all for a round. Also, if you drink enough water to warrant a second bottle, you'll have to put your second bottle in the large interior pocket of the Shift where it will be able to roll around.

So it really comes down to what you want from your bag. Lots of discs and/or water? Go with the Grip. Less discs so you can carry a lighter load? Nobody does it better than the Shift (in my opinion).

Latest posts