• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

US map showing density of course in each state

DE represents well here. Not to mention we have the hardest permanent course in the world...jus sayin...

I call shenanigans! What course are you referring to, Iron Hill? If so, don't get me wrong, it looks tough (and pretty freaking awesome). But "hardest permanent course in the world" is a pretty big thing for anyone to say. Unless of course you were kinda joking.

Iron Hill is the only 18 hole public course with a permanent layout of a 72 SSA. There may be a private course or a set up during tournament play that is harder, but I'm pretty sure as of right now it is the hardest permanent course in the world. That is not a good thing or a bad thing. That was not even the goal. The goal was to have a public course with at least one of the permanent layouts to have a SSA of 72. Some one will put something in harder and that's OK. We just wanted to give something a try.

Iron Hill is the only 18 hole public course with a permanent layout of a 72 SSA. There may be a private course or a set up during tournament play that is harder, but I'm pretty sure as of right now it is the hardest permanent course in the world. That is not a good thing or a bad thing. That was not even the goal. The goal was to have a public course with at least one of the permanent layouts to have a SSA of 72. Some one will put something in harder and that's OK. We just wanted to give something a try.

Iron Hill is a tough course for sure, but I'm not sure that just looking at SSA is all that meaningful on picking a "toughest" course. You could make an SSA 80 course in a wide open field with a bunch of 1200' holes but that wouldn't necessarily fit most people's definition of tough.

If Delaware were annexed into Maryland, or the entire Delmarva peninsula was Delaware, are we even having this discussion?

Never have understood why some think political boundaries drawn up eons ago define good disc golf.

What do you think the Civil War was fought over?

Attachments

• lincoln_dg.jpg
    lincoln_dg.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 585
What do you think the Civil War was fought over?

That photo belongs in the "Disc Golf Throughout History" thread! :thmbup:

The reason I'd think political boundaries are relevant is that the laws of a state influence the civic organization, traditions, and culture of the people within the boundaries. Sure, it's all one continent when you view it from space, but state pride is still fun to chat about. :p

Agreed, and fixed! :hfive:
Good reason to revive that thread, there's some great stuff in there! :thmbup:

I like the way when I switch back and forth between the tabs of the two maps, Texas doesn't really change color at all. I'm very happy to live in a state with so many options. There are five 18s and a 9 just in my home town.

Watch the current DG monthly it's at Iron Hill and the best players in the world are playing it

It's every bit a par 72

The reason I'd think political boundaries are relevant is that the laws of a state influence the civic organization, traditions, and culture of the people within the boundaries. Sure, it's all one continent when you view it from space, but state pride is still fun to chat about. :p

That's where I got it...

So I duplicated it in that thread?
...and gave you credit for somone else's work? :doh: :eek:

The second graph was more what I was expecting for Iowa. Cool to see the third map of course density.

My point was, that if the boundaries had gotten drawn up differently but disc golf had come along as usual, your map would have turned out differently.

Considering that the majority of our current courses are in parks funded by local government entities, I'd say the boundaries that matter most are the ones within the states, or more specifically, the ones within a metropolitan area. An affluent suburb with plenty of park space is going to have a lot more ability to put in a new course than a cash strapped inner city with a dwindling tax base is.

But if you look at Steve's heat map, it kind of shows what should be obvious. If disc golf becomes "hot" at location X, the next place where it will get hot are the areas that are near location X. Places like Kansas City, St. Louis, Cincinnati and Charlotte show that state lines have no bearing on this.

I'd love to see an updated version of the heat map from page 2 as well as a side by side of 2012 vs 2014 to see areas with growth.

I'd love to see an updated version of the heat map from page 2 as well as a side by side of 2012 vs 2014 to see areas with growth.

I'd like to see what Europe looks like, too.

I'd like to see what Europe looks like, too.

The problem with doing Europe is that many European courses have not been listed on this site. I know there are around 100 Finnish courses listed on the Finnish disc golf website that are not listed here.

The problem with doing Europe is that many European courses have not been listed on this site. I know there are around 100 Finnish courses listed on the Finnish disc golf website that are not listed here.

Yep. That's one reason why I've been waiting. Also, I can't find a database of latitude/longitude pairs that define the borders.

So, how's the project to get those 100 on here coming along?

Steve West has had this whole thing covered for quite some time now. Although I think he needs to upgrade his map since its two years old.

http://www.stevewestdiscgolf.com/About-Us.html

DGServiceLevels2012.jpg

Would love to see this heat map updated :D

Bumping this again... just because I can't believe that there aren't any replies saying how sweet Steve's map looks.

Latest posts