• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

USDGC coverage

Seriously though....are they going to cancel this thing? The forecast keeps looking worse and worse.

Seriously though....are they going to cancel this thing? The forecast keeps looking worse and worse.

????

As of this morning, it's not that bad at all, for the outer reaches of a hurricane and compared to the forecast 12-48 hours ago. The forecast track has turned offshore before ever making landfall.

So in Rock Hill.....windy, yeah. But most the rain chance has moved to Friday.....and total rainfall predicted is still under 1/2 inch.

(But yeah different forecasts are different. And it can still change, obviously. But I really don't see a reason to make a change, far less cancel, at this point.)

Last edited:
Yesterday's announcement:

USDGC Message Regarding Hurricane Matthew:

The US Disc Golf Championship is carefully monitoring Hurricane Matthew. This hurricane is a significant potential weather event that should be given due consideration.

Players, staff, and spectators traveling to the Rock Hill area should be alert to potential changes to course layout or schedule of events. The Championship may condense the course, double up on rounds, or make other schedule changes as necessary.

As our hearts and prayers go out to all who have suffered from this storm, our goal here is to keep our players, staff, and fans as safe as possible.

Though Grodney's right---the current forecast has moderated, just a rainy Friday.

I think it's fair to say that a lot here in SC still remember last year and the 100 year flood, hence the caution.

I think it's fair to say that a lot here in SC still remember last year and the 100 year flood, hence the caution.

Very fresh in our minds. This time last year, the U.S. Doubles had to make major last-minute changes; they dodged the bullet, but some South Carolina players had a lot of trouble getting home afterwards.

We older South Carolinians remember other disasters---Hurricane Hugo, which managed to get inland and do lots of damage, even as far as Charlotte, and Hurricane Floyd, where evacuation gridlock stuck people on the interstates for many hours, and which this storm resembles.

USDGC will probably have no problem---but I'm very happy someone else besides me is making those decisions.

Winthrop is pretty far inland, isn't it? The hurricane should have lost a lot of momentum before it hits there

Long thread, maybe someone can help me out. So there will be no live video coverage, just the updated scoring?

Thanks

Winthrop is pretty far inland, isn't it? The hurricane should have lost a lot of momentum before it hits there

Yes. And yes. Except....

In 1989, Hurricane Hugo got a running start, and was still hurricane-force winds when it reached Charlotte.

In 2015, Hurricane Juaquin (?) stayed off the coast, but sent a torrent of rain. It was forecast for Charlotte, but hit central South Carolina instead. 130 miles from the coast, we got 13 inches in one day; parts of Columbia got almost 2 feet. Something like 200 bridges and roads were washed out.

Which is all on our minds around here.

Probably a 95% chance that USDGC will get no more than a nuisance, not even their worst weather for this event, but they have to be prepared for the other 5%.

Yes. And yes. Except....

In 1989, Hurricane Hugo got a running start, and was still hurricane-force winds when it reached Charlotte.

In 2015, Hurricane Juaquin (?) stayed off the coast, but sent a torrent of rain. It was forecast for Charlotte, but hit central South Carolina instead. 130 miles from the coast, we got 13 inches in one day; parts of Columbia got almost 2 feet. Something like 200 bridges and roads were washed out.

Which is all on our minds around here.

Probably a 95% chance that USDGC will get no more than a nuisance, not even their worst weather for this event, but they have to be prepared for the other 5%.

I was born the year Hugo hit, my folks told me it when it got inland, it just got stronger.

Sorry - I couldn't read this whole thread. But who in his right mind would distribute anything of worth via Facebook? Automatically granting facebook to use and display your content? Our content? Our discgolf?

Yeah, oh no, Facebook might decide to use disc golf clips on their own, spreading the the game to new audiences, that would just be oh so horrible. :wall::wall:

Live scoring and post round edited video w/a few live pixelated clips from Averys FB...

Psst...I'm sorry to interrupt you with logic and facts...but if it's pixelated that's on your end.

I was born the year Hugo hit, my folks told me it when it got inland, it just got stronger.

I was 7 and visiting my dad in Charlotte.

Years later we went through another hurricane in Florida.

Can't remember the name of that one though.

Facebook live for this event?!? Lol, I'd rather watch dots and listen to Mace.

Everyone seems to be complaining, but I really don't care. If the post round videos are similar quality to this, I can't wait to watch them:

Yeah, oh no, Facebook might decide to use disc golf clips on their own, spreading the the game to new audiences, that would just be oh so horrible. :wall::wall:
I think we all know that they won't.

Latest posts