• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

USDGC coverage

All those guys are machines, but Marty has the distinct advantage of usually only having 1 camera coverage. It is like half the time to put something together.

Please don't let last year color your enthusiasm. Having had an inside seat at the process for last year there were a few things that SpinTV learned that will not be repeated this year. I honestly have a TON of high hopes for this years quality and timeliness.

Jamie, I am not sure if you can say or not, but what kind of things can we look for this year? Are we gonna get the Post Game Wrap Up again?

Our basic plan is to do Wrap Up shows nightly, and edited coverage will be released next day, we're aiming for lunchtime on those.

We'll also be activating social media pretty heavily, but Avery won't be following full rounds with the phone, we're aiming for a role where he can try to relay the atmosphere and behind-the-scenes feel of the event itself. USDGC is an amazing event and he'll have the benefit of experience both as a player and now as part of the media.

I believe Jeff Panis has some tricks up his sleeves as well for the InnovaDiscs IG account.

Here's the trailer for the event! Check it out!

Cool, any chance you guys will have any of the players for guest (color) commentary on some of the rounds?

Just as an aside/constructive criticism...I feel like the audio on most SpinTV videos is limited very extremely. I'm not sure if other people really notice, or if it just sounds "good and expensive" to them, but as someone who has done a lot with audio I find that it can be quite fatiguing when everything is slammed that hard with a limiter. I have no issue with the sounds and commentary tone, or having some amount of limiting/compression, I just notice every time that it's too much for me.

Regardless of coverage (post/live/facebook) issues... the tournament and more importantly anybody on the east coast from Florida to Maine should be aware of the potential threat of Hurricane Matthew. It just reached CAT 5 status (strongest in Atlantic in 9 years) and looks to devastate most of Jamaica before moving over Cuba and then will likely impact some states on the eastern coastline (or ideally just head out to sea). It's still a week out but the N/S Carolina threat is being modeled as more and more likely as of the last day so I figured I would mention it. Whether or not it makes landfall or just brushes coastline the USDGC could very well be affected. Just food for thought from a weather nerd...

In South Carolina, next weekend marks the first anniversary of the worst flooding in our history. We don't need gloomy news like that to depress our celebration.

Cool, any chance you guys will have any of the players for guest (color) commentary on some of the rounds?

Just as an aside/constructive criticism...I feel like the audio on most SpinTV videos is limited very extremely. I'm not sure if other people really notice, or if it just sounds "good and expensive" to them, but as someone who has done a lot with audio I find that it can be quite fatiguing when everything is slammed that hard with a limiter. I have no issue with the sounds and commentary tone, or having some amount of limiting/compression, I just notice every time that it's too much for me.

Hmm...I actually don't use a limiter on any of my cuts. It's possible that Esa does on his.

Could it be export settings? Maybe too much compression?

Hmm...I actually don't use a limiter on any of my cuts. It's possible that Esa does on his.

Could it be export settings? Maybe too much compression?

Compression and limiting is essentially the same thing, the terminology/difference comes in that limiting is when you have high ratios (typically 10:1 or more), and very fast attack and release settings (on the order of milliseconds). So it's likely the "too much compression" with fast/high settings, but I also do not know all the export settings possible and I am not a video person.

What I am hearing is that the audio gets compressed/limited into the RMS portion of the sound, rather than just cutting down the peaks. What that means for how it sounds, is that the body of all voices/music is a constant volume, and nuances in voices or other small fluctuations are not any louder at all than the body of the sound/voice. This is why it gets fatiguing to me. If you back off on the compressor by a few DB just so that it's not always pinned, it will not limit the body/RMS sound all of the time (of course RMS is calculated over an average of time, so it can be calculated differently...but I'm certainly hearing it is compressing everything), and will actually lead to more nuances coming through. Your videos may end up a couple of dB quieter than they are now (peak will be the same, but RMS will be slightly lower), but SpinTV videos are already very very loud so you can afford to lose some dB.

I've had success setting one side of the audio to catch low and the other to catch high. Set L to pick up low volume speech and R to not max out on a shout. It takes more editing, but if sound is important ...

Compression and limiting is essentially the same thing, the terminology/difference comes in that limiting is when you have high ratios (typically 10:1 or more), and very fast attack and release settings (on the order of milliseconds). So it's likely the "too much compression" with fast/high settings, but I also do not know all the export settings possible and I am not a video person.

What I am hearing is that the audio gets compressed/limited into the RMS portion of the sound, rather than just cutting down the peaks. What that means for how it sounds, is that the body of all voices/music is a constant volume, and nuances in voices or other small fluctuations are not any louder at all than the body of the sound/voice. This is why it gets fatiguing to me. If you back off on the compressor by a few DB just so that it's not always pinned, it will not limit the body/RMS sound all of the time (of course RMS is calculated over an average of time, so it can be calculated differently...but I'm certainly hearing it is compressing everything), and will actually lead to more nuances coming through. Your videos may end up a couple of dB quieter than they are now (peak will be the same, but RMS will be slightly lower), but SpinTV videos are already very very loud so you can afford to lose some dB.

Now that I see what you're describing, I think it's just how the royalty free tracks come in. I've never put a compressor or limiter on my audio at all. :\

From the above Ultiworld piece:

"DGWT play-by-play videos are reaching more than 20,000 viewers in the first 36 hours," Meresmaa said. "That's much more than you can fit Laker fans into the Staples Center."

Setting aside the facts that Staples can fit 19k fans for all basketball games (20k is "much more" than 19k...) and that the Lakers draw that many fans 82 times a season and that he's comparing TV disc golf viewers to live NBA game spectators, not NBA TV viewers, this guy never fails to disappoint in the sanctimony department whenever he opens his mouth or composes a post on FB, IG or Twitter.

I personally love reading and hearing Jussi's unique brew of peculiar media/PR theories & shameless inspirational bromides which he pushes through his own filter of broken English & stubborn condescension. It's entertaining and interesting. But when it comes to growing an audience and casting the widest commercial net possible, I'm curious to see if this narrow, prickly approach will help accomplish what he wants - increased and wide popularity of DGWT.

I personally love reading and hearing Jussi's unique brew of peculiar media/PR theories & shameless inspirational bromides which he pushes through his own filter of broken English & stubborn condescension. It's entertaining and interesting. But when it comes to growing an audience and casting the widest commercial net possible, I'm curious to see if this narrow, prickly approach will help accomplish what he wants - increased and wide popularity of DGWT.

:thmbup: :clap:

From the above Ultiworld piece:

"DGWT play-by-play videos are reaching more than 20,000 viewers in the first 36 hours," Meresmaa said. "That's much more than you can fit Laker fans into the Staples Center."

Setting aside the facts that Staples can fit 19k fans for all basketball games (20k is "much more" than 19k...) and that the Lakers draw that many fans 82 times a season and that he's comparing TV disc golf viewers to live NBA game spectators, not NBA TV viewers, this guy never fails to disappoint in the sanctimony department whenever he opens his mouth or composes a post on FB, IG or Twitter.

Gotta love the JP - we're going with the youth market social media, vs the JM we did it because it's cheaper and more cost effective. If your gonna dish out BS, you should make sure that you're shoveling it from the same cow, and not a goat and a cow.

I do admire JM's ability to stay on message - it cost $25,000, no matter what Smashboxx tells you.

Hey JM, it doesn't cost anything. The PDGA was gonna pick up the bill....

Compression and limiting is essentially the same thing..
Limiting just keeps the volume and peaks from pushing past a set threshold. This allows you to push the other parts of the audio but can tend to make the final waveform flat or less dynamic. Compression when used properly increases the soft parts and decreases the loud parts. A perfect example of proper compression is when you have 2 people talking, one is whispering and the other is talking normally, but they both end up at the same audio level. Compression is heavily used on radio to make the speaker's voice sound more full. Same thing with music, music on the radio is heavily compressed that's why it appears to sound louder than the same music in mp3 or cd format. But again..the end result is the music sounds loud, but flat due to losing it's original waveform dynamics.

(Everyone else just skip this post)

^I stand by saying compression and limiting is essentially the same thing, and it's all about how you use it for what you want. Of course at softer ends it's compression, at higher ends it's limiting, and the reasons for choosing them is somewhat different...but it's the same concept (you understand this I know, but I was not sure if video-focused people pay as much attention). Modern vocals are both compressed and limited, as are entire music tracks. Actually, individual tracks are usually compressed in several ways/layers (some to tame peaks, some to "bring up the quiet parts", some to change attack envelope), in addition to limiting (I would limit a kick, for example, in addition to compression, to then raise apparent volume). Entire tracks can then be compressed (sometimes muliband), and limited. Then as you said, radio often adds more compression to the equation and slams it even harder so it is different than album versions.

Basically, my point was that SpinTV audio is slammed real hard, and it makes sense that Jamie is saying that the tracks they get come in that way....nothing they can do there.

Sorry - I couldn't read this whole thread. But who in his right mind would distribute anything of worth via Facebook? Automatically granting facebook to use and display your content? Our content? Our discgolf?

Sorry Jussi - first these obscene open long courses with artificial ob and now selling your soul to the devil?