• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Using ribbons in the snow?

Or you could watch your disc. I think it is easier to find discs in the snow than the thick schule around here.

F ribbons. They will just piss you off. It isn't that hard to find your disc without one.

it is when there is more than 4 inches of soft snow. Round here if you throw a disc with no ribbon and you can't find too bad for you. No one will help.

One big key is to tape up at room temp and dry discs.

it is when there is more than 4 inches of soft snow. Round here if you throw a disc with no ribbon and you can't find too bad for you. No one will help.

One big key is to tape up at room temp and dry discs.

Gonna disagree. The only time there is 4 inches of soft snow is when it is fresh so there won't be any footsteps making it super easy to see the mark. I've lost more discs using ribbons than not using them and then you don't have to deal with that horrible ribbon noise and the air drag.

Gonna disagree. The only time there is 4 inches of soft snow is when it is fresh so there won't be any footsteps making it super easy to see the mark. I've lost more discs using ribbons than not using them and then you don't have to deal with that horrible ribbon noise and the air drag.

and once people have played through the course and its still fluffy? I have seen weeks where we get 4 inches 3-4 times a week.

We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

It gets worse once we get 2 or 3 feet down

Rub a little snow on top of your disc to get it wet. Then put powdered kool-aid on your disc. When it hits the snow it leaves an obvious colr trail. Much more reliable than a ribbon. If you live where snow comes in feet....... the ribbon is useless.

And you must play with a bunch of a holes if they don't help you.

Nice assumption. Maybe experience has led us to agree to those "rules" because we got tired of digging through snow looking for a buried disc because someone didn't like the sound the ribbon makes. Why should I waste time looking for your disc if you don't bother trying to maximize the chances of finding it in the first place. Use your head a bit.

I really don't know why you guys think it is so hard to find a disc without a ribbon on it. I am going to stick to you guys playing with a holes too. All of my friends, hell, anyone I have played with in the winter around here would help me look regardless of a ribbon or not.

I have used ribbons in the past. They do work but do affect flight. They also take some time to put on correctly. Use clear duct tape as it does not leave a residue on the disc. In the past i've just had a 2nd set ready to go for snow play.

I personally like using string chalk. I put a bottle in a large plastic baggie. Prior to throwing I put the disc in the bag. It leaves a nice mark in the snow.
http://shopzlot.biz/product/024721500212/5-Lb.-Red-Marking-Chalk.-1-Jug/

We had a small local sanctioned event Saturday with 15 players. It snowed about 3 inches the night before and about another inch during the morning. If you play a course that doesn't get played it's pretty easy finding discs in the snow. Round 1 it was pretty easy finding discs. At no point did anyone on my card come close to losing a disc. Round 2 I had 2 times where I was very lucky to find my disc. The foot traffic made it difficult to find the entry mark. Had I not know the area the disc landed there was no chance of finding either. We literally stepped on both of them. There were several lost discs during the round from other players.

I'd rather lose a disc trying to play in the snow rather than deal with the trouble of using ribbon. How about keeping an eye on your disc while it flies. If its snowing chances are there are no leaves on the trees, making it really easy to watch the entire flight. I like the chalk line powder or koolaid ideas, those would seem to infringe less on disc performance and overall annoyance.

ribbon is the way to go for sure, not to sure about drilling a hole in a disc to do so but i have used regular clear packing tape (the same i'd use for l.e.d's) and it works fine. i have never lost a ribbon or a disc and have thrown in knee high powder

2 inch medical tape. Never ever comes off till you are ready to take it off, and it doesn't leave nasty duct tape goop.

I'd rather lose a disc trying to play in the snow rather than deal with the trouble of using ribbon. How about keeping an eye on your disc while it flies. If its snowing chances are there are no leaves on the trees, making it really easy to watch the entire flight. I like the chalk line powder or koolaid ideas, those would seem to infringe less on disc performance and overall annoyance.

Must be NC humor.

Last edited:
Only problem with taping ribbon to the underside is that if the disc comes to rest and is still spinning, the ribbon spools up neatly UNDER the disc.

In Minnesota, several players have started using the same LEDs used for night golf attached to the discs in daytime. Of course, we actually have a regular Tuesday "Night golf in the snow" league. It's easy to see the red LED in the snow. In Alaska, some use blue rock climbing powder and powder their disc before throwing which leaves a blue mark on the snow where the disc enters.

In Minnesota, several players have started using the same LEDs used for night golf attached to the discs in daytime. Of course, we actually have a regular Tuesday "Night golf in the snow" league. It's easy to see the red LED in the snow. In Alaska, some use blue rock climbing powder and powder their disc before throwing which leaves a blue mark on the snow where the disc enters.

I don't see how using chalk is a better solution than ribbon. Yes you may get another 20 feet out of your disc, but once you are playing in snow, possibly in snow shoes, with crappy footing, 8 layers on and standing in deep snow, you are playing in less than prime conditions anyway. My goal playing in the winter is to have fun and not worry about my form or the results that much. I am very competitive all through the fair weather season so i try not to take winter golf too seriously.

I would have blue chalk dust all over me and my gear. Plus I think that stuff stains. I'll stick to ribbons.

No ribbon in deep snow and you are on your own looking for it. Enjoy your 20 foot flight advantage whilst you lose 3-4 discs.