• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Versatile Midrange Pairings

FR Gator, Kenny Roc, ESP Buzzz, Fuse when taking a big bag, just the Kenny Roc and the Buzzz when taking the Crunch for a fast round.

Tim S.

Vector/Axis

What he said...at least that't what I'm throwing now and for the next several months...

Something to consider in your "pairings" is using mids that have a similar feel and throwing style. There are alot of good discs out there, but having one mid that likes (or needs) to be thrown hard and and is OAT resistant paired with one that needs to be finessed and will flip with any release error messes me up. Too many form differences required.

What would be interesting is...are there any multiple brand combinations that truly fit the above? Seems like alot of the combos are brand-similar: Wasp/Buzzz or Buzzz/BuzzzSS, Vector/Axis, Core/Fuse, Buzzz/Meteor...

Roc/Comet comes to mind

Last edited:
What he said...at least that't what I'm throwing now and for the next several months...

Something to consider in your "pairings" is using mids that have a similar feel and throwing style. There are alot of good discs out there, but having one mid that likes (or needs) to be thrown hard and and is OAT resistant paired with one that needs to be finessed and will flip with any release error messes me up. Too many form differences required.

What would be interesting is...are there any multiple brand combinations that truly fit the above? Seems like alot of the combos are brand-similar: Wasp/Buzzz or Buzzz/BuzzzSS, Vector/Axis, Core/Fuse, Buzzz/Meteor...

Roc/Comet comes to mind

I've heard a Buzzz/Fuse combo does well, Toothy, but I've never thrown a Fuse.

I like the Fuse but I didn't think the Core or the Buzzz was enough to compliment it. Especially if you have heavy optos. Sadly the Axis doesn't quite fit the bill.

The Roc seems to in everything except that lip and thats what I am using now but that got me peaking into the X Comet for a feel perspective, but man; it will have to be something to unseat my Fuse.

That's what I was going for, but the thread has diverged a bit...

As mentioned it's really about matching speed/glide/lip and even diameter(if you read some other threads) so that they are very similar in feel. Sometimes thats hard to do...

if i only have to pick 2 then buzz/comet for me...

*i know the speed/glide/lip doesn't match on them...

I had been using a trifeca of Discraft - Z Hornet/Z Buzzz/ESP Meteor. But lately I'm experimenting with an ESP Zone/Z Buzzz/Champ Panther with no loss of effectiveness. So of those if I went with a pair it would be the Hornet/Meteor. But only because I've used them longer.

I like the Fuse but I didn't think the Core or the Buzzz was enough to compliment it. Especially if you have heavy optos. Sadly the Axis doesn't quite fit the bill.

The Roc seems to in everything except that lip and thats what I am using now but that got me peaking into the X Comet for a feel perspective, but man; it will have to be something to unseat my Fuse.

That may very well be the popularity of the Roc/Comet combo...there is a similar feel.

I would really struggle to throw a Vector/Buzzz combo, because of the feel/grip differences...It was tough enough to switch from Rocs to Buzzzs and then from Buzzzs to the Vector/Axis...going back and forth all the time would screw me up.

And I couldn't pair the Core with anything that didn't have a slant on the rim for the same reason.

BTW, I forget, does the Fuse have a slant like the Core?

My mids are in flux this days.....here is what I have in my bag right now in order of over stable to under stable. Still trying to weed out what is less consistent for me.

Champ Gator--Beat in Z Hornet--Star Cro--XG Champ Roc--DX Bottom Stamp Roc

Before I threw Rocs, I used this line-up. I think about switching back from time to time.

Overstable: FLX Drone
Stable/Late Fade: Glo Z Buzzz
Stable/Straight: Barstamp Buzzz
Finesse: Gold Line Fuse - New
Turnover: Gold Line Fuse - Slightly Beat

Drones are awesome discs, and in FLX Plastic, they can be counted on to sit where they hit.
Buzzzes are...well, Buzzzes.
Gold Line Fuses are such a nice midrange. So much glide. With perfect snap with a tailwind, I've gotten them out to 350' (fairway driver distance for me) on our driving range.

Rocs and Stingrays are what I use..

champ rocs, 11x roc, bigbird rocs, champ stingrays, dx stingrays.. OS to US

they've always worked for me so I haven't changed, not a fan of a bunch of different molds

I throw all Innova drivers, but I love these Discraft mid molds.

Wasp/Buzzz/BuzzzSS

I agree with the posts above regarding feel of the disc, not having to learn to grip a different mold is really nice. The bead on the Wasp is a little different feel than the Buzzzes but they all three feel very similar in grip and throw.

I think the same effect is achieved by Roc throwers with a bunch of different Rocs of different wear. But that is a pain in the a-- to keep track of, and how do you replace one when you lose it? I like to know I can get what I want from a new disc with minimal time for seasoning. I've got some discs that have that special magic from being really well-seasoned, but in general I think it is probably not a good disc for me if I have to break it in for a long time to get it to work.

If I throw the Wasp/Buzzzz/BuzzzSS RHBH exactly the same on the field, they land about 10-20ft apart, left to right, in the order shown. Really reliable for me! I am thinking about adding a Hornet in there on the left.

This has been the biggest problem plaguing me recently. I consider my approach and mid game the best part of my game, but I have been swapping mids in and out like crazy looking for the ideal combination. I actually like to use four, but there are times I feel I should carry six or seven in my Carolina bag. The problem there is that I would lose confidence in my game because then I would second guess my decision or maybe pick the wrong one instead of concentrating on what I need to do.

The Drone will always remain in my bag, that is a given.

However, I have been waffling between the Fuse and Meteor. The Meteor has the understable stability I want in that slot but the Fuse has far better glide and driving capability.

Last year I was going with a Star Ontario and Star San Marino Roc combination. For most people this is just like carrying the same Roc but in different grades of wear. I personally do not like doing that because I just have a personal thing about damaging discs I had paid money for and that I find the act of seasoning a disc an inexact science. But that it just me. The two Rocs complement each other fairly well. The San Marino is the slightly overstable Roc which drives better. The Ontario is better at shaping lines and approaching.

Last winter I switched to a Buzzz and Buzzz SS combo. I had a yellow Cryztal Buzzz that I absolutely adored for how it looks. This was a good combo as I would use these two in relatively the same roles as I used the two Rocs. While I found the SS superior to the Ontario, the San Marino was a better driver than the Buzzz.

This year I switched back to the Rocs, for the time being solidifying their spots in the bag when I nearly aced Kaposia #16 during the Minnesota Majestic with my Ontario and most recently acing Hole #5 at Acorn with my San Marino. The only reason I am still considering making a change is because I am not a big fan of beaded discs because I do not like the way they sit in my hand; the Ontario more so than the San Marino.

To complicate things more, the tester Ibex I have has been a wonderful addition. Its main role is to rocket straight shots with no concern for the wind. I still need to work with it in regards to shaping shorter lines, but near fairway driver distance it has been remarkable, taking some shots away from my San Marino. And now out of curiosity I want to see how the MVP Axis performs. If I swap out the Ontario for the Buzzz SS, I would have to purchase or trade for more SSs because the last time I made the swap I sold off all my SSs. If the Axis is a great mid, now would be the time to get into it before I commit to making any purchases and pulling out the Ontarios.

Finally, I am sitting on a few Roc+ that I may consider putting in place of the San Marinos. They are a little more stable but with the slightly slanted inner rim, they sit a little better in my grasp. The two Star Roc+ I have are white and it is about to snow here, so I may have missed the boat about thoroughly testing them. The red Champ XG Roc+ I have flies close to the same but seems a little shorter and or requires just a touch more power.

Oh well, apparently I do not have the right answer for this thread's question yet.

Latest posts