• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

very overstable midrange disc

AdamE

Double Eagle Member
Diamond level trusted reviewer
I like having one really mean, overstable midrange in my bag for shorter drives that need lots of hyzer or on a windy day. I've tried champion and star rocs, but they sometimes turn over even though I release with hyzer. I've tried a Q sentinel, a gator and a wasp with similar results.

Recently I've been using a DGA shockwave and when it was new, it worked out great. I put a lot of torque on my drives and the shockwave could handle it... for a while. It got beat in pretty fast and started to turn over on me. I've gone through two shockwaves now with the same result.

Can anyone suggest a very overstable midrange that's available in plastic durable enough that the flight won't change?

Thanks

Neal has started calling the Drone "the best disc ever made". I play with him pretty regularly and he loves that overstable thing. He just convinced me to start throwing one. I don't have enough rounds on it to form a valid opinion yet, but initial reaction is: "yep, pretty overstable".

ERic

I'll have to check that out then, thanks guys.

The S Demon is more stable than my FLX Drone. I just got the S Demon and I'm likin it!

you can find star whippets which is a fairway driver but a very slow one, so its almost like a fast midrange and SUPER overstable

Z Xtreme is the most overstable disc produced. One will last you a lifetime if you don't lose it. Most people can't handle it though and end up getting rid of it.

Try the Whippet. Not sure if they still make these, but they are very overstable discs.

If you are turning over Rocs/Wasps you may want to change up your grip - because those are both excellent hyzer discs.

Along with the Whippet, the Viper is a great overstable midrange. it's tech. a fairway driver, but it's slower than the whippet and has a little bit more distance in it if you throw it hard enough in my opinion. and it never turns over to the right. i have a beat in dx one, and it will stay @ a hyzer angle if you release it at one, and go to one quickly if you let it go flat or even anhyzer.

I'll second the idea to get a slower, very overstable driver. I find that while discs like the Drone and Demon are defintely overstable, it's difficult to control distance with them. If you back off you get like 100' out of them and if you throw as hard as you can you get like 250' out of them. With discs like the Whippet, Viper, Blaze (my favorite) and even Banshee you can back off on them easier and control distance with the amount of hyzer and height you give them. A lot of people just use one very overstable, faster disc (Predator, Firebird, Spirit, etc.) and control distance by limiting the number of steps or reach back they use as well.

Along with the Whippet, the Viper is a great overstable midrange. it's tech. a fairway driver, but it's slower than the whippet and has a little bit more distance in it if you throw it hard enough in my opinion. and it never turns over to the right. i have a beat in dx one, and it will stay @ a hyzer angle if you release it at one, and go to one quickly if you let it go flat or even anhyzer.

glad to see i'm not the only one to rock the viper like a midrange. i'm a roc thrower as well, but when it comes down for some super right to left action, i really like the viper, because its feels similar to a roc in your hand, but is going to hyzer a lot more. whippets and demons aren't bad either, but i personally prefer a larger diameter for these kind of shots, which the whippet provides. i really wish they made it in something other than dx though.

I think it has already been posted here but there is a star whippet x in Innova's cfr program. I have seen them on Ebay in the past but they go pretty fast.

I use a Champion Cro for this purpose. It's not as overstable as some of the above, but I certainly can't turn it over, and it's got a strong fade at the end of its flight.

Latest posts