• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

Well, I got my r419b on Saturday and have put in my five rounds (spread over my three local courses) already. Here are thoughts I shared with Vibram through the tester page.

R419b:
-Very understable, but very controllable

-Very shallow rim. It felt fine to me, but may bother those with bigger hands.

-Comparable to a Mamba, just a little faster/speed stable

-Thrown flat, it would start tracking right and keep turning, never fighting back. But it would not cut over into a roller if it was given enough height.

-Thrown with a slight hyzer, it would pop up to flat quickly and then slowly track right late in it's flight. A very useful turnover line!

-Thrown with a deep hyzer angle, it would pop up later in it's flight, fly straight, and sometimes even fade out.

-Thrown on an anhyzer, it turned and burned quickly. I am not one who throws many rollers, but I could see this being a decent roller disc out of the box for players with slower arm speed.

-A very workable disc for someone with slower arm speed/less snap who has a good understanding/control of hyzer angles.

-Very, very good glide. Even when thrown on low lines.

-Loves to be powered down. Adjusting arm speed and hyzer angles can shape some great lines, including a beautiful, easy sweeping hyzer that glides for days.

-Finicky in the wind. Handled cross winds better than I expected (especially left to right; I expected the r419b to be pushed hard to the right and into the ground but it just tracked slowly right with the wind), but turned and burned in a good headwind like I expected. LOVES a tailwind, this thing can float for days thrown on a hyzer/hyzer-flip line with a tailwind.

-At the end of back to back rounds, I could still bomb this disc, despite some fatigue. That's a great distance driver to have in the bag, for those long tourneys/leagues/etc in the dog days of summer.

-My r419b was a 163g. I will probably buy a 175g production run, just for a little bit more reliability in wind and for some added stability to possibly hold an anhyzer line.

-The r419b is extremely workable for a distance driver for me. I could see this becoming a workhorse driver out on the course (assuming the 175g adds that slight touch of extra stability I would want). But no matter what, the r419b will be in the bag for shaping all sorts of long distance turnover lines, sweeping hyzers, and tailwind bombs!

Good review. No 420?

Has anyone thrown any of the '13 Vibram Open discs?
I like the look of the Red/White better than the '12 Black/Red.

With the unLace and O-Lace coming out soon, I thought it would be fun to fill in the rest of Vibram's line-up just for kicks. I also put in comparisons to other well-known discs. Comment away!

Summit = Magnet
Range = Focus
Sole = KC Pro Aviar
Ridge = Wizard
VP = Pig

Ubex = Meteor
Ibex = Buzzz
Obex = Wasp
Mobex = Drone

Descent = Impact
Trak = Eagle
Ascent = Teebird
Oscent = Banshee

unLace = Nuke SS
Lace = Nuke
O-Lace = Force
reLace = Nuke OS

With the unLace and O-Lace coming out soon, I thought it would be fun to fill in the rest of Vibram's line-up just for kicks. I also put in comparisons to other well-known discs. Comment away!

Summit = Magnet
Range = Focus
Sole = KC Pro Aviar
Ridge = Wizard
VP = Pig

Ubex = Meteor
Ibex = Buzzz
Obex = Wasp
Mobex = Drone

Descent = Impact
Trak = Eagle
Ascent = Teebird
Oscent = Banshee

unLace = Nuke SS
Lace = Nuke
O-Lace = Force
reLace = Nuke OS

Why are we trying to compare Vibram to other companies. We all know Vibram is crazy unique in what they do and that there discs are way better. It is more a matter of what discs will be better than what is already in my bag. But that doesn't warrent comparing Vibram to thsoe discs.

But since you asked. Ha! Lace is more like a Nuke SS, the O-Lace will replace my Nuke and the relace as you call it (not a fan of that name) will replace both the Force and the Nuke OS. I guess other than that you wouldn't be far off.

Why are we trying to compare Vibram to other companies. We all know Vibram is crazy unique in what they do and that there discs are way better. It is more a matter of what discs will be better than what is already in my bag. But that doesn't warrent comparing Vibram to thsoe discs.

But since you asked. Ha! Lace is more like a Nuke SS, the O-Lace will replace my Nuke and the relace as you call it (not a fan of that name) will replace both the Force and the Nuke OS. I guess other than that you wouldn't be far off.

Purely for the flight ratings. Aka Magnet = understable putter. I know Vibram discs are unique! There's no way the Lace is as understable as a Nuke SS either. It's much more like a Nuke in stability. Also, reLace was just a name that I thought fit with the pattern I can see Vibram following with their names now. They want to keep "Lace" as the center of branding for their distance drivers.

Has anyone thrown any of the '13 Vibram Open discs?
I like the look of the Red/White better than the '12 Black/Red.

I'm just not convinced that having two different types of compounds that beat in differently, in the same disc, can result in predictable stability.

For that reason Dana, I think all 50/50 VO discs are really meant for the wall, and not the course. Maybe you, with your god like putting skills, can make them work, but for the rest of us, its doubtful.

Now, straight Super Firms, on the other hand....... ;):D

I'm just not convinced that having two different types of compounds that beat in differently, in the same disc, can result in predictable stability.

For that reason Dana, I think all 50/50 VO discs are really meant for the wall, and not the course. Maybe you, with your god like putting skills, can make them work, but for the rest of us, its doubtful.

Mmmmm Super Firms. Love my VO Super Firms.

I have been using a '12 VO Ibex for a while now and it is still very predictable. I like that it's a little flatter than the rest of my Ibexes. I find that it's slightly better in a head wind than my regular Ibexes.

I have been using a '12 VO Ibex for a while now and it is still very predictable. I like that it's a little flatter than the rest of my Ibexes. I find that it's slightly better in a head wind than my regular Ibexes.

I'm gonna go with kutz on this one, I've been throwing my VO 12 ridge since they came out and it's almost as stable as my newer ridges. It was just as stable till a truck ran over it and roughed up the bead, one side was even curled under but a little hot water out the faucet fixed that. Still great off the tee.

So I was in a fairyway/control driver debacle and had been having trouble deciding on that section of my bag. Over the course of some tourneys I aquired MVP's fairways and gave them a side-by-side test with my old Vibrams today and the Vibrams showed me why I put them in the bag in the first place.

Is it just me or does your ascents just seem super stable! I wish I could acquire one beat in. Are the firms better for distance?

My firm was super awesome, wouldn't flip no matter what I did, sadly it's lost in ruffage right now. My medium beat up one is a hyzer flip turnover machine, love it. For distance I use the medium but if I find that freak firm I may try and break it in as well

Last edited:
I have a firm that has a strong turn to it. That is why I had to grab a fresh, heavy one to fit the no turn with a late, dumpy fade spot for me. I also have a medium that is flippy (might be a funky one). I throw far, so if I can't get my new heavy one to turn it is nice and stable :)

The one that has turn does have a pretty amazing distance potential on a surprisingly low line.

Latest posts