• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

I have a 169 medium I've been throwing for about a year, which is pretty flippy. I have a relatively fresh 174 M and it's pretty stable but will show some turn in stronger winds an doesn't fade too hard, just sort of dumps and sits. My most stable Ascent is a 169g Firm I've been throwing since May. It glides well for an Ascent, fades hard but relatively late, doesn't really ever show turn, and penetrates in big headwinds. It looks similar to all of my other Ascents,so I'm not sure if this is just how Firms start out and I haven't beat it in enough. But it basically is a PD, it is a hell of a disc.

There's no way the Lace is as understable as a Nuke SS either. It's much more like a Nuke in stability.

Um, no.

Lets just say when I am playing, I can throw my Nuke and count on it coming back. My Laces are way flippier. WAY! Honestly, I am not sure my Nuke SS is even as flippy as my Laces. That being said, the Lace also has an uncanny way of staying on lines that you put them on better than any other distance driver out there.

I just got home from Am Worlds (Kansas is much lower than where I live in Colorado) And lets say that I did throw my Laces in Kansas, usually when I had a tailwind or no wind. Any other kind of wind and I had to pull out the Nuke because it is way more stable than a Lace. This is also the reason I am looking forward to the new retooled O-Lace that will hopefully take the Nuke out of my bag.

Um, no.

Lets just say when I am playing, I can throw my Nuke and count on it coming back. My Laces are way flippier. WAY! Honestly, I am not sure my Nuke SS is even as flippy as my Laces. That being said, the Lace also has an uncanny way of staying on lines that you put them on better than any other distance driver out there.

I just got home from Am Worlds (Kansas is much lower than where I live in Colorado) And lets say that I did throw my Laces in Kansas, usually when I had a tailwind or no wind. Any other kind of wind and I had to pull out the Nuke because it is way more stable than a Lace. This is also the reason I am looking forward to the new retooled O-Lace that will hopefully take the Nuke out of my bag.

Couldn't agree with you more!

Um, no.

What Nukes are you throwing? Ive heard Ti Nukes are more stable but the Z Nukes I used to throw were max weight and when compared to my max weight Medium Lace, they flew very similarly. What weights are your discs? There is no way the Lace is a Nuke SS.

I used to throw esp nukes and I found that Laces hold a tighter line for the same distance than my nukes. For my headwind disc now I use a d1 and I am going to have to keep it pretty fresh I think. Oh, and before you go off about elevation, Cincinnati, oh is at about 483' elevation and the black hills of sodak where I'm from are 3300'+ so I have experienced a decent elevation change. The only change I found with laces at lower elevation was that thru flew further with less effort.

I disagree about laces being flippy. They are designed as a hyzer-flip max distance driver and they do that better than just about anything.

I'm throwing a 172 M that has a lil dome and it has some decent stability to it. Definitely wouldn't call it flippy. I feel like the ones with some dome to them can handle some more power.

I'm throwing a 172 M that has a lil dome and it has some decent stability to it. Definitely wouldn't call it flippy. I feel like the ones with some dome to them can handle some more power.

That sounds like the 171 that I use. I also have a fresher first run that is 174 and just a tick more stable.

Sorry to break up the Lace conversation, but I don't have the arm for that guy haha. I recently found out that Vibram is a local company for me! I had no idea it was so close. That being said, I'd like to support them a little more and get some of their discs in my bag. I currently throw a Buzzz and Comet for my midrange game, but I hear that the Vibram Ibex is like the best of both worlds there.

What plastic (rubber?) type would you guys suggest for a guy that can throw about 300'? Sad to say I know next to nothing about Vibram. Also, would the Ibex be capable of ousting both my Buzzz and Comet? I love them both so from a sentimental standpoint, I'm not sure. But flight-wise, what do ya'll think? Help me become a fan! haha

Ibex pushed buzzzes out of my bag. My beat one covers almost any line I would want a comet for. I still carry an esp and x comet for certain situations. I prefer regular x link (medium) for my discs.

Say bye to the Buzzz. You could probably keep the Comet around, until we see a rubber version. Check out the Summit, not as long as the Comet, but its a similar type flight.

Thanks, guys! The input is much appreciated. I'll have to check these discs out. If nothing else, they look awesome haha. Hoping they fly, for me, as great as they look :thmbup:

Say bye to the Buzzz. You could probably keep the Comet around, until we see a rubber version. Check out the Summit, not as long as the Comet, but its a similar type flight.

Exactly. The Ibex is the disc that everyone claims the Buzzz is. And while the Comet is longer than the Summit, there is definitely overlap; the Summit won out for me because I love jump putting/putting in a strong tailwind with them.

I posted in this thread a few months ago, having picked up a Trak (and later an Ascent) after a particularly rainy league round as rainy day replacements for my Leopard and Teebird. I never really gave them a true audition, though....it never rained during league again!

Fast forward to today and I'm fully on track to move to an all-Vibram bag, largely inspired by Hawk Corrick, of NutSac blogging infamy. Coincidentally, the current blog post as of this posting spotlights someone folks here likely know a little about....Steve Dodge!

I've been slowly picking up Vibrams and now have one of most of them, only lacking a Sole and Summit. While I've field tested all of them, I was waiting until I picked up my targeted putter of choice, the Ridge, to actually start playing with them. My plan all along was to get the Ridge, play with just it for at least a handful of rounds, add the Ibex and play with just those two for a while, and so on. I finally picked up a Ridge yesterday and played a Ridge-only round yesterday at my local course.

Now, I'm not going to go all hyperbole-machine or anything, but I really love the disc. For me, it drives, approaches and putts great. I ended up shooting even, 4 bogeys and 4 birdies. I've probably shot even or better at my home course a dozen times or less in the year+ I've been playing, so this is a bit of a revelation. I don't think the Ridge is some magic disc, but I do think it's a great disc on top of that round exposing some truth behind the gospel Hawk espouses in his blog....for most of us, less is better. My driving distance was fine on plenty of holes for which I'd previously thought I needed a mid or driver. It also showed what most of us know but tend to forget...the distance potential one gains from drivers doesn't always win out over the control of a putter (or mid).

I'll keep plugging away with Ridge-only for a few more rounds to find out if my round yesterday was an anomaly or the standard. I'm pretty encouraged, though. I carry a relatively small number of discs anyway (5 or 6...in a single NutSac!), so I've always been interested in the minimalist lineup from Vibram. Their durability plus grip in all conditions has me hoping they'll become my manufacturer of choice.

If you haven't done it in a while, or ever, go throw a putter-only round. Particularly if you're a player like me...Rec level-ish, maxing out around 300ft or less with drivers. You'd likely be amazed (and encouraged!) by how well you do!

Thanks for the link Gennataos, I hadn't read the latest entry featuring Steve.....funny as well. Good to know he's got such a good sense of humor since he's dealing with clowns like us all day long!

So Ascent lovers, how many do you throw. I actually like that this mold beats in kinda quick, I can cover a lot of shots with it in different stages of wear. Do you guys just throw a fresh one for OS stuff or a different mold altogether?

Unfortunately the Ascent is kicking my Trak outta the bag. I have a really light one (162g) that is domey in Firm. That sucker just won't break in to anything that turns more than my beat in Ascent, it possibly is 10' longer or so. Was hoping it would be a hyzer flip/turnover disc after beat in but it just won't beat in! This is even with my field throws in a rock quarry and my home course is pretty rocky.

I can hyzer flip my beat Ascent but the same throw with my Trak just holds that slight hyzer all the way to the ground. Even though it seems beefy the Trak doesnt like headwind much.

Do I just need to try a different Trak or do you guys use something else in that slot. Don't tell Mr. Dodge but I am trying out an Underworld for what I'm looking for (it even feels similar in the hand to an Ascent).

What Nukes are you throwing? Ive heard Ti Nukes are more stable but the Z Nukes I used to throw were max weight and when compared to my max weight Medium Lace, they flew very similarly. What weights are your discs? There is no way the Lace is a Nuke SS.

To end this really silly feud, I throw a Z Nuke at 172g and I throw M Laces at 167g and 172g. I took the X Laces out of the bag when I got the Laces. So if we want to say that, okay the Lace is similar to my X Nukes, which were also similar to my Nuke SS. The Lace does hold a line better than any other distance driver out there but we cannot confuse that with stability. The Lace will go straighter and longer than my Nuke because it holds the line better. But when I go down in elevation and get a tad bit of head or cross wind, the Lace is turning way more than the line I put it on. The Lace is a great straight disc, but it will flip. It took about a 20 mph tail wind to get my Lace not to flip even a little bit. I can count on my Nuke to be more controlable in a headwind. My Lace is about as controlable at my Z Nuke SS. Thus the reason I tell you they are of similar stability. Can a Lace be thrown on a similar line to a Nuke? Yes, Laces hold lines better than any other distance driver out there. But a Lace is less stable than a Z Nuke, unless it is a beat X Nuke.

Latest posts