• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

I remember my first vibram ace!

congrats dude, did you happen to thank the guy in the group before you? Ya'know just to rub it in a little :D

Congrats on the ace BluBubs!

Awesome man! Congratulations!

Thanks guys! :hfive:

Follow-up: The guy(s) from hole #7 did come up and throw a high-5 on me before I ran down to take a photo.

...The guy was WAY cool about it too! That is to say way cooler than I would have expected someone who just splashed/lost an ace, only to witness a guy on the next pad get one, to be. Not that I expected him to be all mad about it, but how stoked he was me was really cool.

#vibramlove

I got my 166g medium Lace Friday (thanks, Deitz!) and gave it a whirl on Saturday. This is the first warp speed driver I seem to actually be able to throw. Even a Vulcan won't turn with my 300ft-ish power, but this Lace does! I didn't do a bunch of testing with it, but it seemed to outdistance my 168g GL Saint, which had previously been my longest disc. I'm not going to bag it yet (aside from maybe during my doubles league for "go for it" shots), but I'm really excited to take it out to the field and see what it does. I also ended up trading for a 174g medium Lace (much domier), so I'm also intrigued to see if/how they fly differently.

I got my 166g medium Lace Friday (thanks, Deitz!) and gave it a whirl on Saturday. This is the first warp speed driver I seem to actually be able to throw. Even a Vulcan won't turn with my 300ft-ish power, but this Lace does! I didn't do a bunch of testing with it, but it seemed to outdistance my 168g GL Saint, which had previously been my longest disc. I'm not going to bag it yet (aside from maybe during my doubles league for "go for it" shots), but I'm really excited to take it out to the field and see what it does. I also ended up trading for a 174g medium Lace (much domier), so I'm also intrigued to see if/how they fly differently.

Laces are the most beginner-friendly speed 13 driver that I have ever thrown. Part of the beauty of it is that it also works for hyzer-flips for big arms. If you want to see a really easy disc for you to get to turn, try a 150-class Trak.

Used my brand new Vibram Trak and Ibex in my very first tournament the other day and man did they perform well. I found myself not missing my Buzzz at all (I was shocked) and the Trak did an amazing job in the woods for me.

Question: my Trak doesn't turn over at all (168g M), which I like! I was able to throw it straight with a very small but reliable fade at low speeds. I am wondering if it will start to become a hyzer-flip disc with time. How long might it take to break it? Should I try to cycle Ascents instead? Loving my intro to Vibram haha

Used my brand new Vibram Trak and Ibex in my very first tournament the other day and man did they perform well. I found myself not missing my Buzzz at all (I was shocked) and the Trak did an amazing job in the woods for me.

Question: my Trak doesn't turn over at all (168g M), which I like! I was able to throw it straight with a very small but reliable fade at low speeds. I am wondering if it will start to become a hyzer-flip disc with time. How long might it take to break it? Should I try to cycle Ascents instead? Loving my intro to Vibram haha

Maybe try a 150-class Trak for a hyzer-flip disc. Mine is incredibly flippy, yet still controllable.

How far do you throw the Trak? I've found my medium Ascent of the same weight considerably beefier than my Trak at 300ft power. I'd say don't overthinking it and just throw your Trak and if it changes flight at some point, just put a little more hyzer on it. I'm no expert, but I'd guess one would have to have a fairly big arm to need an Ascent instead of just making do with a Trak.

Vibrams take awhile to break in (especially the medium Xlink), so you can count on that Trak flying the same way for a long time. If you want a beefier Trak, a max-weight domey one will be the most stable option. If you want a hyzer-flip-out-of-the-box Trak, a flat 150-class firm should do the trick (you may need to wear it in a little, depending on your arm speed/snap).

Both the Ascent (beefy discs that break into straight/line shaping discs) and Trak (straight neutral discs that break into hyzerflip/turnover discs) are fine discs to cycle, but they work great as a couplet. My whole bag is based around couplets; an overstable-stable disc (Lace, Ascent, Obex, VP) paired with a neutral-understable disc (r419b, Trak, Ibex, Summit). A fresh Ascent, beat Ascent, fresh Trak, and beat Trak can cover any fairway driver shot you'll need... and you can plug in different weights/materials/levels of wear for even more options.

My Trak is a very nice straight driver. When I go to lower elevation it does become a nice turnover disc. It kinda walks that line. I trust my Ascent much more, even as a straight disc. At one point in time the Ascent actually had more high speed turn than my Trak. They are both good discs and as long as you keep learning the disc you will have a reason to throw both. They do beat in a tad over time, but I feel most of the change in my discs is because of my own improvement.

Go check out my cult member profile on NutSac bags' website.

http://www.nutsacbags.com/blog/2013/07/cult-member-nate-horsley/
Nice! Another Vibram/NutSac combo! My profile was the one just before yours (Mark Myers). As of last week, I've been rolling with Ridge/Ibex/Trak/Lace in my single NutSac. I'm pretty much loving the simplicity of that lineup. I still need to dial in all of them and get used to them, but I see no reason why I won't continue to go with them

How do you like the double? I'm probably getting one if for no other reason than to have the drink holder and a place for snacks and whatnot. I was also thinking I'd like some room for windy days to throw in the VP/Obex/Ascent. I've been emailing with Hawk back and forth and he's a staunch believer in being able to throw my currently lineup in all conditions (the same as his Understable Bag of Thunder), even a headwind, but I'm less optimistic in my ability to make that work.

Well, my re-ignited love affair with the Summit is still going strong. So controllable. I love throwing it up high with some anny and watching it turn and just float right. I would say the r419b is the distance driver version (albeit a little more finicky) of the Summit and I am so excited for Ubex and UFW. If they can stretch the Summit's flight out into a mid, Vibram will have created the Comet killer.

Latest posts