• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

Are older Vibram minis worth anything?
Found a couple from a few years back in a drawer recently, a red putter and a green driver w a footprint on it.
Seems the putter version is still around, but the driver w footprint can't seem to find anything about it.
-J

The driver is an Ascent IIRC. Usually around 40-50.

BTW, here's some pics, just for reference.
The driver does look like an Ascent, and the putter is obviously a mini Summit.

Bottom
Side

Will check out those FB pages, too.
Thanks again!

Last edited:
+1 for cleaning out the junk drawer, I guess!
They still had $4 price tags on them.
I was going to toss one in the bag with a recent disc I sold to someone and thought... maybe I better just check first...

Man... I've been playing exclusively putter rounds this week, and I'm very surprised at how well I can forehand my Ridge. Straight as an arrow, and my forehead is generally terrible with putters...

Man... I've been playing exclusively putter rounds this week, and I'm very surprised at how well I can forehand my Ridge. Straight as an arrow, and my forehead is generally terrible with putters...

That's cool! I recently played a round with 2 summits and a vp. Putter rounds are fun.

I'm currently workin on keeping my trak nose down. I'm also working on a lower pull thanks to the lower pull thread.

I'm seeing alittle progress. With the lower pull in able to actually keep the trak on a straight line. The lower pull is giving me more snap also. The trak is actually getting somewhat of a forward fade untill it slows down then it fades hard.

What I don't understand now is that when I do a lower pull and real ease on an anny it fades harder. When I do the low pill and release flat I actually get alittle drift off to the left (LHBH) then a slow fade. I'm not complaining though I release with more power on a flat throw.

I actually just answered my own question. I get more turn out of a flat throw because I have more power on a flat release than on an anny release.

Try throwing your annys the exact same way as you throw flat. Except tilt your back to create the anny angle. Don't change the angle of your arm.

I've experienced this recently (with regards to the harder fade on anhyzer release). Controlled anyhyzers require fairly re-fined technique. I'm not the master of anhyzer throws by any means...

...however what you're experiencing has to do with the physics of the disc's flight. Precession is the process by which discs turn, fly, and then fade. When the disc is thrown on either a hyzer or anhyzer release, air contacts the flight-plate of the disc, such that the flight of the disc is altered. A flat-release means that the air reaches the flight-plate fairly evenly (and thus push upwards on the disc against the pull of gravity). A flat-release lets oncoming air keep the disc elevated against the force of gravity. Precession is the reason by discs can fly at all... on-coming air pushes against the flight-plate pushing upwards and fights the force of gravity which is pulling downwards the center of the earth.

Whew... fade is what happens when precession no longer sustains the disc's flight against the pull of gravity. Fade happens earlier on hyzer and anhyzer throws, because air isn't allowed to push evenly upwards against the flight-plate of the disc. This is what you're experiencing, as a newer player attempting to throw anhyzers.

I've experienced this recently (with regards to the harder fade on anhyzer release). Controlled anyhyzers require fairly re-fined technique. I'm not the master of anhyzer throws by any means...

...however what you're experiencing has to do with the physics of the disc's flight. Precession is the process by which discs turn, fly, and then fade. When the disc is thrown on either a hyzer or anhyzer release, air contacts the flight-plate of the disc, such that the flight of the disc is altered. A flat-release means that the air reaches the flight-plate fairly evenly (and thus push upwards on the disc against the pull of gravity). A flat-release lets oncoming air keep the disc elevated against the force of gravity. Precession is the reason by discs can fly at all... on-coming air pushes against the flight-plate pushing upwards and fights the force of gravity which is pulling downwards the center of the earth.

Whew... fade is what happens when precession no longer sustains the disc's flight against the pull of gravity. Fade happens earlier on hyzer and anhyzer throws, because air isn't allowed to push evenly upwards against the flight-plate of the disc. This is what you're experiencing, as a newer player attempting to throw anhyzers.

Your physics is flawed...FYI.

Gyroscopic precession is the reason discs turn vs. fade, but not the way you are describing. Essentially, it alters the force on the disc 90* in the direction of the rotation. (assume RHBH here) If a disc is turning right, it is because the center of lift is currently behind the center of rotation. The precession translates that lift to the left of the disc....lifting it and turning right. As the disc slows, the center of lift moves forward. Once the center of lift is forward of the center of rotation, precession translates that force to lift the right hand side of the disc, making it fade off left.

It is all about the center of lift. Of course there are a ton of factors (disc shape, angle of attack, wind, how fast its flying, etc).

For reference (from wikipedia):

If the speed of the rotation and the magnitude of the external torque are constant, the spin axis will move at right angles to the direction that would intuitively result from the external torque

Your physics is flawed...FYI.

Gyroscopic precession is the reason discs turn vs. fade, but not the way you are describing. Essentially, it alters the force on the disc 90* in the direction of the rotation. (assume RHBH here) If a disc is turning right, it is because the center of lift is currently behind the center of rotation. The precession translates that lift to the left of the disc....lifting it and turning right. As the disc slows, the center of lift moves forward. Once the center of lift is forward of the center of rotation, precession translates that force to lift the right hand side of the disc, making it fade off left.

It is all about the center of lift. Of course there are a ton of factors (disc shape, angle of attack, wind, how fast its flying, etc).

For reference (from wikipedia):

Einstein quote: "If you cannot explain it to a six-year old, then you don't understand it yourself." :)

Yes, I would have to agree with you about my physics being a little bit off, because if you read my post with a fine-tooth comb, then it's clear (even to a troglodyte or cave-dweller such as myself) that my English grammar is off, just like my Physics. :)

To summarize your post, fade occurs when the center of lift is different than the center of gravity... if the disc is your system, then the two forces are lift due to precession and the pull of gravity... or am I missing something again?

Bringing the thread back into the realm of Vibram... the unLace is most understable disc Vibram makes (in my opinion), because it has the lowest parting-line height of any of their discs. (The Summit also has a pretty low-PLH.)

Visualize how moving air hits the nose of the unLace... as the on-coming air pressure builds up on the nose of the disc, then a pressure differential is created, in which the air pressure is greater on the nose of the disc, then on the flight-plate of the disc, so air rapidly goes down this pressure differential. As the speed of the disc slows (and the rate at which on-coming air decreases), there is less of a pressure differential between the air in front of the nose and the air pushing on the flight plate. As a result, there is less lifting force on the flight plate, and yes (I believe what you're saying to be true) but the center of lift will differ than the center of gravity. The center of gravity is always the center of the disc, whereas the center of lift can differ according to how fast the disc is moving through the air???

Attachments

• unLace 2.jpg
    unLace 2.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 10
Solace and o-Lace on forehands and overhands

Liking the Solace so far... I have to almost take it out of my bag on certain rounds, so that I don't throw my arm out using it. I can almost use it on any hole on either a forehand or a overhand shot.

The o-Lace has quickly become one of my straightest discs on forehand shots! Great stuff!

I'm starting to click with the trak.

When I throw with a higher pull I get tons of fade.
When I throw with a lower pull I get a straight line with slow forward fade.

I'm still working on annys on a lower pull with it. Every few throws I can get a very wide turning anny that flattens out but stays going in the direction of the turn. It's pretty neat. Not consistent at all though.

I'm starting to click with the trak.

When I throw with a higher pull I get tons of fade.
When I throw with a lower pull I get a straight line with slow forward fade.

I'm still working on annys on a lower pull with it. Every few throws I can get a very wide turning anny that flattens out but stays going in the direction of the turn. It's pretty neat. Not consistent at all though.

A pretty consistent disc for anhyzer throws is the Obex. If I need the Obex to sit-down, then I'll use a slight-anhyzer. The key is to not break your elbow. If you're wrist is over your elbow, then you lose power, but I compensate a little bit by throwing my body weight into it. It's pretty consistent!

Of course, if you have a high-PLH Obex, then that's the most consisten disc. Otherwise, lower-PLH Obexes tend to be less overstable, such that they're birdie machines on less challenging courses.

I'm rocking an all Vibram bag right now, except for a Classic Roc. 2 Laces, 1 Olace, 2 Ibexes (Ibexi?), 1 Obex, 1 Trak, 2 Summits, a Sole, (All Medium) and a Floppy Ridge. I get a lot of comments at the beginning of rounds, then halfway through the round people invariably tell me that they need to start throwing more Vibrams, lol. My Lace is a great headwind, tailwind, cross-wind and no wind disc. It is great being able to use the same disc no matter what the conditions.

I'm rocking an all Vibram bag right now, except for a Classic Roc. 2 Laces, 1 Olace, 2 Ibexes (Ibexi?), 1 Obex, 1 Trak, 2 Summits, a Sole, (All Medium) and a Floppy Ridge. I get a lot of comments at the beginning of rounds, then halfway through the round people invariably tell me that they need to start throwing more Vibrams, lol. My Lace is a great headwind, tailwind, cross-wind and no wind disc. It is great being able to use the same disc no matter what the conditions.

Yeah, one of the comments I get, 'that's a colorful bag!' I say thank you! A lot of times pollinators will try to land on my discs, because they think my discs look like flowers, if you know what I mean. #growtheflowers

been out of the lop for a little while. I know vibram had some discs approved by the pdga recently any release date announced yet?

been out of the lop for a little while. I know vibram had some discs approved by the pdga recently any release date announced yet?

There hasn't been any more news since April 20th. Just some reviews of the Notch, Arch, and Valley. I think the Notch and Valley have been changed since their prototype days. The molds have been PDGA approved as of the end of April.

They will be available for VBB World's, which is in July. I'm guessing that after the VBBs are done (post-May 31st) we will hear about their release. It's such a task to get player's packs for the VBBs out I'm guessing. After that, it's easier...

There hasn't been any more news since April 20th. Just some reviews of the Notch, Arch, and Valley. I think the Notch and Valley have been changed since their prototype days. The molds have been PDGA approved as of the end of April.

They will be available for VBB World's, which is in July. I'm guessing that after the VBBs are done (post-May 31st) we will hear about their release. It's such a task to get player's packs for the VBBs out I'm guessing. After that, it's easier...

How has the Notch changed?