• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I played with my Soft Ridge today at a small 9 hole coure, heavily wooded, twice plus a lot of putting practice and; the soft makes a good catch disc with the fiance. I only used the Ridge and I absolutely love driving with it as I got one out to 250' on a 10-15' high line. You have to watch though, cause in a headwind starts dropping hard. Approaches seemed great as it would just sit where it went with very little if any sliding when hitting the ground. Takes some guess work out.

I smacked a lot of trees hard, and 9 times out of 10, the disc didnt get kicked out too far and, aside from getting a little dusty, it seemed entirely unphased. I think for thos reason I might just make the soft my driving/approach disc and use a firm for putting.

Once again, I dont care for the floppiness for putting as it seemse to make a consistant release difficult. Weird thing is, from 20' or longer, it putts fine, but inside of that is where I have the trouble. I think its because Im able to put more spin on it outside of 20' to where it kind of keeps shape via centripical force. Sunk a 100' putt but man, did I ever struggle sinking 15 footers.

Overall, great disc and I cant wait to try the firm.

Approaches seemed great as it would just sit where it went with very little if any sliding when hitting the ground. Takes some guess work out.

When I used the floppy VP I have that is the one thing I absolutely loved about it. Even on a missed putt you had no worries of roll away, skip, or gliding out to far (cause its a VP and all). I kinda keep it in the bag for special shots like close to water or rocks, when I just want the disc to stick where I put it.

The one bummer I have with the other discs is their roll factor... but that is another story.

Hey Steve, another question. Any world on the logo less putters yet? I'd love to know more :):):):) (and don't forget my other questions...)

Where the black vps limited run?

There were some tester discs that looked black but were really a dark dark purple. In a photo they looked black. Also there was a run probably first run as they have no flight numbers on the plate. I got one of the early ones in black pretty sure it is a FR.

CHEERS - Koffee

I just got my soft ridge in the mail....and it feels great! Love the way it feels in the hand and how it flies. I agree with other posts, that the fact it won't roll away is a huge bonus.

I got me a firm Ridge today. Awesome. I cant wait to get it out to the field.

Now Im curious where the regular X Link fits in between as the soft is really soft, and the firm is as rigid as can be.

its dead smack in the middle. some flex but not a lot

Vibram has this funny tendency to create everything on opposite extremes and then have something dead between them.

Firms - Just as firm as KC plastic
Soft - Super duper crazy floppy (I have photos up a few pages back)
and regular XLink - which you can bend but it is not putty in your hand

VP - most overstable putter out there
Summit - super understable... I like to think of it as the Comet of putters :)
Ridge - a touch more overstable but still workable on almost all angles.

and I have a feeling their Fairways will go the same way with the ascent in the middle and the next two on opposites... however I think this could be done better.

Very nice observation. I find the Ascent has a lot of turn over and a lot of fade so maybe that's all three in one.

Very nice observation. I find the Ascent has a lot of turn over and a lot of fade so maybe that's all three in one.

I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who has a flippy Ascent (having lost the other one when I put too much hyzer on it to compensate). My Ascent is much like a Sidewinder in stability; that is the closest comparison I can come up with.

funny... mine hooks pretty well. Kinda like a new teebird. but I'm still discing down and haven't spent a lot of rounds with it yet...

I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who has a flippy Ascent (having lost the other one when I put too much hyzer on it to compensate). My Ascent is much like a Sidewinder in stability; that is the closest comparison I can come up with.

Yes, I have the same feeling. I've got 3 and they all fly the same. I'd say a Sidewinder with more fade. My TeeBirds have always been Champion and 167g and those fly very understable for me. These Ascents are 171-174g and are more stable.

Fun disc though. Anyone having success with overhand shots? I love them but I'm far from having an expert opinion. I need to work on rollers with this plastic.

Yes, I have the same feeling. I've got 3 and they all fly the same. I'd say a Sidewinder with more fade. My TeeBirds have always been Champion and 167g and those fly very understable for me. These Ascents are 171-174g and are more stable.

Fun disc though. Anyone having success with overhand shots? I love them but I'm far from having an expert opinion. I need to work on rollers with this plastic.

How far and how beat are your Teebirds that they fly understable for you?

Just curious because the Teebird seems to be the king of true stable fairway drivers.

Mine started off like Wraiths but within days were like a lighter TeeBird. By the end of the week they were almost identical to a Sidewinder with almost the exact same fade. The one I have left has not progressed any further understable than that, having settled into that stability. Great for hyzer flips.

How far and how beat are your Teebirds that they fly understable for you?

Just curious because the Teebird seems to be the king of true stable fairway drivers.

I'm sure there's an issue with my form or the fact that I'm throwing this speed 7-9 disc just as hard as a distance driver.. Most discs fly more understable for me than I think they do for other players who throw further. The TeeBird I currently have isn't very beat at all. I'm sure 8oz of weight would help a bit on the TeeBird but both it and the Ascent I need to throw wing down for a hyzer-flip.

That's far more than anyone needs to know about me though.

I'm surprised the first non-putter from Vibram was a fairway driver. I was hoping to see a great midrange disc.

I'm surprised the first non-putter from Vibram was a fairway driver. I was hoping to see a great midrange disc.

This has to do with the fact that when they first started making the putters they figured "people can just throw a putter instead of a mid" and started work on the ascent. Thinking that mids didn't serve as much a purpose they decided to skip them for the time being. They will probably work on a few fairway discs then go for mids now. It also makes it difficult from a business perspective to decide what to do with the section of disc golf that has the two most pronounced discs in the game. It is probably best they get their foot in the door with putters and fairways before trying to compete with the Roc and Buzzz. But with the comet, shark, shark, fuse, and core slowly growing in popularity it looks like it might be a little easier to take part in the mid range game.

...Thinking that mids didn't serve as much a purpose they decided to skip them for the time being..

I haven't talked to Steve Dodge in a long time so I certainly don't know the decisions going into these things. I'd argue that people are very tied to the putters and mids they have and are more likely to try an unfamiliar distance driver. I see a lot of people trying the newer mids out there. Personally, I have little use for a fairway driver. My bag jump from Buzz/Sentinel/Wasp to the SL. Just looking from a sales pont of view it's the distance drivers that outsell everything but Vibram is certailny going for a quality product and I think their slow and methodical way release schedule should serve them very well.

I'm very happy we're starting to see many more manufacturers. It's a very good sign for the growth of the game.

I haven't talked to Steve Dodge in a long time so I certainly don't know the decisions going into these things. I'd argue that people are very tied to the putters and mids they have and are more likely to try an unfamiliar distance driver. I see a lot of people trying the newer mids out there. Personally, I have little use for a fairway driver. My bag jump from Buzz/Sentinel/Wasp to the SL. Just looking from a sales pont of view it's the distance drivers that outsell everything but Vibram is certailny going for a quality product and I think their slow and methodical way release schedule should serve them very well.

I'm very happy we're starting to see many more manufacturers. It's a very good sign for the growth of the game.

I also like the way Vibram is approaching their slow and methodical entrance into Disc Golf. Not to mention that with their rubber based materials, they are really producing something different and in my recent opinion better.

My thought is that they are working on more than they are letting on to but will keep the process slow. Why release more than one disc at a time when you could spread it out over time and create more buzz (not the disc) about each disc that they release. We just had the release of the long awaited Soft X-Link material so I am guessing we are a 3 to 6 months away from seeing that fairway driver that will fly further than most distance driver.

On another note, I personally think fairway drivers are mor important to everyones game than the distance drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts