• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Vibram Is Done

I will be very sorry to see them go. My current bag is 90-95% rubber. I found the softys to be my best drivers, esp when on the mend from yet another shoulder injury...like now.:|:doh:

If the soft drivers were anything like my soft VP, there's no way I could drive with them. I could roll that thing up like a burrito

Clearly you aren't familiar with the passion of Vibram collectors. Certain minis go for $30-50. Early multicolored runs, if the right colors, can go for upwards of $100 easy.

I'm hoping to retire off my 1st run Summit investment. This is great news for my portfolio. :|

I love the feel of Vibram medium. That's all I use for putting now, after a brief stint with some super floppy for some dumb reason.

Their current crop of fairway drivers are pretty nice, but I'm sure there is overlap out there somewhere.

The Lace crew are nice and for a while were some of the longest drivers on the market.

The one thing that they were really better at than anyone was the glow discs. The full glow discs are amazingly bright and hold the charge a long time. I have yet to see any other glows that work as well.

I as a new disc golfer remember being drawn into Vibram by the cool colors that were the Jupiter and swirl discs. Those were sooooooooo cool! I was sad to seem them go out of production and to me was the first seal of the end of days for Vibram.

Rubber 4 ever!

I love my VP for odd upshots where roll-aways are likely. Thing just stops dead where it lands.

Sad to see them go, but in all honesty, I don't care.

Are we reaching the disc saturation point?

Never liked the feel of their discs and it's one of the bigger manufacturers that I have never seen anyone throw.

Clearly you aren't familiar with the passion of Vibram collectors. Certain minis go for $30-50. Early multicolored runs, if the right colors, can go for upwards of $100 easy.

This was something I could never wrap my head around. I get old Innova and old Buzzzes and some old Lat64 now but Vibram?

An unfortunate turn of events, but almost inevitable once Steve Dodge left the company. Disc golf is still at a point where all our businesses need to be run by disc golfers to maintain the enthusiasm and momentum needed to survive. If there's no passion for the game, then as soon as the bottom line is threatened, the plug gets pulled.

The disc golf side was never managed well whether Steve was there or not. It's a shame- getting a company like Vibram directly involved in disc golf was the biggest marketing coup the sport has ever seen.

Its name was changed (pretty sure it is now the SoLace) because of the insane amounts of garbage that followed after they unveiled the name.

Coincidentally, it was named that way because it was the 420th project Vibram worked on. It had zero to do with the sticky icky.

While yes, it was the 420th project they worked on and that is the official roots of the name, it's also not a coincidence that they decided that would be the one that they gave a number name to. Why not the 400th? Why not the 385th? Why not wait until a more ceremonial number like 500?

There is absolutely zero chance that it truly had nothing to do with the reference to marijuana. Zero.

Either way, they were in a risk / reward situation. And it crashed.

From a noob perspective - I didn't really know the brand, but one thing that is striking is the difference between the reactions here and on Facebook. IMO, the Facebook DG "humor" groups are the absolute dregs of the DG community. 90% derogatory and childish comments about this announcement. Maybe FB is filled with 8th grade weedheads. Anyway, it convinced me to unfollow the stupidity there. It was skewing my view of the DG community. This thread proves we're better than that.

From a noob perspective - I didn't really know the brand, but one thing that is striking is the difference between the reactions here and on Facebook. IMO, the Facebook DG "humor" groups are the absolute dregs of the DG community. 90% derogatory and childish comments about this announcement. Maybe FB is filled with 8th grade weedheads. Anyway, it convinced me to unfollow the stupidity there. It was skewing my view of the DG community. This thread proves we're better than that.

It's called a humor page for a reason buddy, I'm in said group, those memes were started last year as a joke.

Last edited:
This was something I could never wrap my head around. I get old Innova and old Buzzzes and some old Lat64 now but Vibram?

Some of these collectors are.....passionate!? I met some at the Birdie Bash World Championship. They are a dedicated bunch, but not flame at you for saying something bad dedicated, just polite. Some were like pokemon gotta get 'em all, others would be looking for the same kind of color swirls for their discs to make a set of all the molds. Just crazy, but in an awesome kind of way.

I also saw the one and only fully yellow Vibram disc. It was a Ridge or VP, not sure which. I know some the Trak 'Bumble Boots' come close, but this was made special by a chemist. It was kinda fun to watch all the collectors have big oogly-eyes at it.

The disc golf side was never managed well whether Steve was there or not. It's a shame- getting a company like Vibram directly involved in disc golf was the biggest marketing coup the sport has ever seen.

True enough. But I think without Steve and his involvement and passion for the sport, they might have bailed a lot sooner.

It's a cautionary tale as well, for those that dream of a big corporation like Nike getting involved in disc golf and really doing a deep dive into producing equipment and pouring money into the sport. Absent someone within the company driving the brand out of a deep love for the sport, they're not going to jump in anytime soon, and even if they did, they won't stay long. As much as we're growing, we're still not nearly big enough that a big corporate entity is going to take much interest.

I sold a four20 for $100 recently, and I assume they'll be going for much more in the future. I should have hung onto it for a couple more years.:wall:

It's called a humor page for a reason buddy, I'm in said group, those memes were started last year as a joke.

i totally get that. I was referring more to the fact that a majority of people there are celebrating the segment's demise and thinking their memes caused it. Almost like they were actually angry with a company for producing something they didn't like, instead of just not buying it.

i totally get that. I was referring more to the fact that a majority of people there are celebrating the segment's demise and thinking their memes caused it. Almost like they were actually angry with a company for producing something they didn't like, instead of just not buying it.

Noone in that group truly hates vibram, there was a time where we all dissed almost every brand, how long have you been in that group?

Latest posts