• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Vibram Is Done

I used to love vibram discs- their feel, their distance, the color patterns. They had a huge place in my bag for their control over distance. Maybe its the rubber, but when they wore in, they were completely different discs. I hated having to replace an over stable driver or a mid every few months because even my o-lace would never fade after it flipped. I just switched my last vibram disc out of my bag a couple months ago, but I am still bummed they're out.

I always wanted a granite disc just to have. So I pulled the trigger on a few Lace's plus some V.P.'s just for the heck of it. Pretty sure they are going to disappear really quick from the major retailers.

Granite V.P.'s are pretty awesome! That is my main putter. Only have 7 of them... need some more before they dry up!

I don't get all the flak over a name like Four20 on a disc. I actually had to look up to see what Four20 was even in reference to. Being in the midwest I have to admit that it meant nothing to me. Also, I used to be one of those old hippie types back in the 70's and still do my occasional bit of partying. I had heard when I first got into DG almost 3 years ago that there were a lot of partyers that play the game. I have been surprised to see how few partyers I actually see when we go out throwing discs. A couple here and there but for the most part it isn't a rock concert crowd out there. I see lots of kids out there, guys taking their kids out there to teach them to play, etc. I think the weed aspect of the game is way overblown. Then again, it might be different in places like along the west coast. I see more crap like empty beer cans littering the courses than anything else around my parts unfortunately.

As far as Vibram discs go I never really cared for them. Too flexible for my liking. I try to drive them hard for distance and they literally bend when you go to throw them. At least that's how my Arch is. To each his own I guess. They do make for a nice bottom on the soles of my Merrells though. I also agree that the market might be getting to the point of saturation with disc manufacturers. Don't need a mega corporation like Nike producing anything for the DG community imho. Most of their stuff is made by people who are paid slave wages for the work they do and then they overprice all their products by a ton. That has been the way Nike has done business ever since they were founded. Again, just my 2 cents.

The 420 thing was a poor decisions. It just didn't have much upside and it risked getting some sensitive people up in arms.

I would love to know how those same folks feel about beer sponsorships in their favorite sports.

So, what's going to happen with all of Vibrams molds/tooling?

Will somebody buy them up and start something new?

Depending on where you live, that statement is incorrect

As long as its in the United States, it's illegal.

Differentiating these based on legality is pretty weird considering the history of both.

That you don't understand or, more likely, refuse to recognize, the simple difference between illegal activity and legal activity in the context of its association with a sport, says much more that anything else you have to say about the subject. It's not about history, it's about the present. It's perfectly reasonable for people to make the same differentiation between the two that recognized in current law.

That you don't understand or, more likely, refuse to recognize, the simple difference between illegal activity and legal activity in the context of its association with a sport, says much more that anything else you have to say about the subject. It's not about history, it's about the present. It's perfectly reasonable for people to make the same differentiation between the two that recognized in current law.

Ughhhhhhhh

Your argument style is so fun.

So, it's not legal anywhere in the USA?

Wouldn't this be like having a fit over a stamp depicting gambling? That's legal in some places and not in others.

I was also commenting about the absurdity of one being legal and not the other based on what's happened in the past.

Last edited:
And for the record, I don't think the stamp was a good idea.

I just find the outrage pretty strange.

You sound like an alcoholic claiming they have never touched a drug in their life. If you don't recognize that beer, which sponsored many disc golf events in the early 90's, is a mood altering substance and thus carries a similar societal connotation as marijuana then your dense.

Last edited:
So, what's going to happen with all of Vibrams molds/tooling?

Will somebody buy them up and start something new?

That would be nice, but would take either some major retooling and maybe even re-submission to the PDGA for removal of emblem since that would really change the disc OR some hefty royalties paid to Vibram for using their trademark if it stayed. Either way, whoever would be looking at a costly start up. :\

That would be nice, but would take either some major retooling and maybe even re-submission to the PDGA for removal of emblem since that would really change the disc OR some hefty royalties paid to Vibram for using their trademark if it stayed. Either way, whoever would be looking at a costly start up. :\

My understanding is they also don't use standard injection molding. I dont think anyone else in the dg world has the equipment to use the molds.

My understanding is they also don't use standard injection molding. I dont think anyone else in the dg world has the equipment to use the molds.

Compression molding. Its the material prep that takes so long. There are a couple of videos on Youtoob that show the process. Shows why they cost so much. Making the rubber ready for use is a very involved process.

It was already re-branded for 2018 as the MVP Open at Maple Hill.

Already rebranded for 2018!? Your doublespeak makes no sense to me :p Did the Vibram for 2018 already happen? How many times did MVP brand it already before 2018? Does Vibram grow their rubber trees at Maple Hill? MVP now runs the Rubber Farm?