• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Lace Official Announcement

FH throws are a whole different beast really, muscles, timing, rotation etc are all different than a backhand and to say "oat free" really is impossible, as with a FH you are generating a lot of power through OAT, its learning to control/understand it, which is key. It is much more difficult REGARDLESS of your form, to throw an understable disc FH than BH-- they are opposite in all aspects and really cannot be compared together.

It is fairly easy to curl your wrist palm up, but palm down and you can feel the difference in your lever from FH to BH-- FH is a much easier and natural movement IMO which is why it is easier for beginners to throw 300' FH vs BH. OAT is thrown around here like an excuse for all things going bad, when that's not really true depending on its context.

No one is saying what the easy way is; he's just saying it's false that you NEED a more overstable disc to throw FH. Really, I push for the opposite. I grew up throwing FH on Ultrastars. If you can pump those out to 100'-200', then EVERY disc golf discs has UBER amounts of relative stability. I prefer Roadrunners and neutral mids for my FH. Only really enjoy OS FH when I need something to punch hard right.

I am NOT some awesome thrower, don't claim to be. There are tons of guys on here that claim to throw way farther than I probably ever could FH or BH. But I do KNOW that I can forehand a roadrunner, a beat 165g XD, A mako (which is pretty close to perfectly stable but everyone with an arm calls it understable anyway), a valk, an SL, and a Leopard. I do it every day I play. I have thrown Gators, Banshees, Rampages, PDs and other overstable discs forehand too. They certainly don't turn as much but the fade is so strong that I have to throw big anhyzer flex shots to try and keep them on a straight path. I think what you mean to say is that overstable discs are more forgiving to Off axis torque. But they don't fly any better, or farther for that matter, than less stable discs. I can throw my XD much farther and easier than my gator. I think people that throw discs as hard as they can prefer overstable, because if they aren't generating a lot of snap, the low speed stability seems to keep the disc from turning over. But stating that you need an overstable disc to throw forehand is simply untrue.

Back on topic, the Lace...I really like it. On flat throws, it's got just enough fade to bring it out of the turn predictably. I can't really utilize it to anywhere near it's full potential, but I sure have fun trying. I've thrown a 174g and 167g right now, and I'm wondering if I got a 158 if it would be borderline Blizzard-esque distance and fun. Kudos to Vibram, great first high speed driver.

After throwing 2 laces now I am really having trouble playing any headwind with them. I can s-shot them on wide open, but that don't want to hold a straight line in wind, I have more faith in my beast at the moment. Any one else think the lace is a tad understable?

I'm wondering if I got a 158 if it would be borderline Blizzard-esque distance and fun. Kudos to Vibram, great first high speed driver.

I can easily say yes to this. I have two that are 159 and they freakin bomb just like Blizzard except with Vibram durability. I also believe they fly better in the wind than Blizzard. I'm hooked. The Blizzard Katana may be out finally as I only liked the ones with flight plate bubbles anyways and they are hard to find now.I throw mostly Swedish plastic but I must say the Lace is solid in my bag after only a few weeks of testing. Thanks Vibram!

I also have 2 159's plus a 162 Lace. They fly further than any Blizzard I've thrown, much more durable, and resist wind effects better. Win, Win, Win !!!

No one is saying what the easy way is; he's just saying it's false that you NEED a more overstable disc to throw FH. Really, I push for the opposite. I grew up throwing FH on Ultrastars. If you can pump those out to 100'-200', then EVERY disc golf discs has UBER amounts of relative stability. I prefer Roadrunners and neutral mids for my FH. Only really enjoy OS FH when I need something to punch hard right.

After throwing 2 laces now I am really having trouble playing any headwind with them. I can s-shot them on wide open, but that don't want to hold a straight line in wind, I have more faith in my beast at the moment. Any one else think the lace is a tad understable?

Toooooo Understable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For kicks and to start thinking about next year I went out and bought a 169 Lace. I already had a few other discs I wanted to try out in the field, most notably a Saint. A buddy of mine who is a local pro came with. The results were confusing at best.

For reference most days I throw around 390', he can throw golf lines around 550 feet. He threw the Lace first a few times and found it pretty flippy. Powering down it was ok for him but nothing he would use.

flippy hmmmmm

flippy hmmmmm
So your thread attacking the Lace got shut down and now you came in here to attack the disc that (to quote your other thread) you only threw for two rounds, on a cold, sleety windy day? It is possible that you got an unusually understable disc. It's also possible that you have crappy form, or that the disc doesn't handle wind well. The point is that it was absurd of you to make a thread attacking a disc that you'd thrown only 40-50 times. The problem isn't with the fact that you dislike the disc, it's with the limited sample you're basing your opinion on, and the way you're stating that opinion. Try re-reading your posts through a neutral eye and see if you can't understand why people are having issues with you.

I gotta defend the Lace for those of us that enjoy it for forehand throws. While not for everybody, this disc is a great forehand disc once you get used to it's flight pattern and capabilities. Like all discs, it can be thrown however you see fit as long as you are willing to get to know it and put the time in. (Kinda ended that like some kind of relationship therapist.)

Is there a difference in the stability/flight characteristics of the 2012 Players Cup Laces and current production run Laces?

Steven - Any way we see the OSLace available for sale on or around 4/20?
(Part of me wants to believe that the proto was called 420 for the potential release date.)

Steven - Any way we see the OSLace available for sale on or around 4/20?
(Part of me wants to believe that the proto was called 420 for the potential release date.)

He had said that he hopes to have it to testers around 4/20, so no way it will be available for sale by then.

I gotta defend the Lace for those of us that enjoy it for forehand throws. While not for everybody, this disc is a great forehand disc once you get used to it's flight pattern and capabilities. Like all discs, it can be thrown however you see fit as long as you are willing to get to know it and put the time in. (Kinda ended that like some kind of relationship therapist.)

I really enjoyed it for forehand the first round I used it, enjoyed it less the 2nd round cuz it wasn't as stable anymore, and during my third round the disc was already too understable to release on a -65° hyzer without it flipping over and burning. So now I use it as an understable turnover driver for backhand because I can only backhand 325'.

I really enjoyed it for forehand the first round I used it, enjoyed it less the 2nd round cuz it wasn't as stable anymore, and during my third round the disc was already too understable to release on a -65° hyzer without it flipping over and burning. So now I use it as an understable turnover driver for backhand because I can only backhand 325'.

It sounds like you're either putting WAY too much torque on it or putting OAT on it. Vibram doesn't beat in very quickly, if at all. I can consistently throw my laces 400' with little to no turn.

Latest posts