• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

water carry shots

Did it again! Didn't commit to the shot. Hole 7 at Youth, and dropped it in the drink 15 feet short. Went right back to 1, played with the idea that less was more, snap, follow through, smooth, etc. Made the drive across the widest part of the pond and missed the easy bird putt. Going there tomorrow and try again.

BTW, the one that went in the water was one I found so I left it.:thmbup:

Tons of water on that course, but 10 is a bugger with all the wind this time of year so you should be extra proud. I just got back from a week of playing there and the wind makes all the water look even bigger. Since they moved the pad there is no bail out point, you either carry water or swim with the alligators.

Hole 10, Cliff Stephens in Clearwater, Fl. 330 ft. if you go over a lake. I was going around until yesterday. 170 gr. Tern is giving me a lot of confidence to go straight across. This makes me kinda proud of my 64 year old self after 1 year of play.

Tons of water on that course, but 10 is a bugger with all the wind this time of year so you should be extra proud. I just got back from a week of playing there and the wind makes all the water look even bigger. Since they moved the pad there is no bail out point, you either carry water or swim with the alligators.

Thanks a lot. If you were there recently, you saw the forward pad. I was driving from there toward the man hole cover and passing it by a good bit. Then I realized that drive would clear the water no problem as long as I didn't try to kill it and stall out.

Now here's a tough water carry...
attachment.php

Attachments

• 8356525259_7a6340c132_b.jpg
    8356525259_7a6340c132_b.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 88
150g Gstar Shryke is my cheat code. Sometimes I can't even believe how far it goes.

When you play something like that, do you have to use a much faster disc than your normal max because of the weight?

Maybe this will help:

J2QIykx.jpg

Looked on google maps, if you aim near the top middle of the lake, it quickly becomes only 225ft, maybe 240ft if halfway between that and the corner, and somewhere there would be my play figuring fade.

That image shows the distance from the "Gold" pad, which is a fairly new addition to the course - like in the past year. They've added gold pads and gold baskets to many holes to create a pro-level layout. Most players still throw from the original long and short pads, which can be seen in the upper-right part of the image for hole 10. You can see the entire short pad but can only see the end of the long pad in this image. The water carry distance from the long and short pads is not much different - like 18'. And even the gold pad is not very much longer on this hole, but I thought I would point it out anyway. FWIW, on some of the other holes, the gold layout is much longer than the regular long or short layouts. Just not on this hole.

When you play something like that, do you have to use a much faster disc than your normal max because of the weight?
I won't lie, they can be touchy and they get cycled out more often than other discs because they can get too flippy. And I'm fortunate that it doesn't often get too windy here. But with frequent use I know exactly how much height & hyzer angle I need to get the flight I need. My current one has been in the bag since December and it's my most used & reliable disc.