• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Westside now has 4 Speed 14's

by definition if their speed scale goes from 1-13 it is impossible for it to be a speed 14. Why even have a scale if you cannot stay inside its parameters, it makes the scale useless. Next thing you know they release a -1 speed putter

As I recall, 10 or so years ago, when the Beast/Orc/Starfire family was the highest of the high speed discs in Innova's line, that's when the flight numbers were first introduced in a serious way. The speed scale was 1-10 (obviously). The marketing line for the Wraith when it was released was a play on the Spinal Tap "this one goes to 11" bit, being that the Wraith "broke" the scale and went up to 11 like Spinal Tap's amp.

While it's true Innova was the first to use the flight numbers that have become all too common in the game, it's not as though theirs is any more scientific and non "hype" than anyone else. The correlation to rim width is as loose with them as anyone else.

2.5 cm rim widths: Colossus (speed 14), Boss (speed 13), Katana (speed 13)
2.4 cm rim widths: Ape (speed 13), Dominator (speed 13), Groove (speed 13), Vulcan (speed 13), TeeDevil (speed 12), Wahoo (speed 12)
2.3 cm rim widths: Daedalus (speed 13), Tern (speed 12), Xcaliber (speed 12), Archon (speed 11), Krait (speed 11)
2.2 cm rim widths: Destroyer (speed 12), Max (speed 11), Tee-Rex (speed 11)

I'll agree that the scales used by various companies aren't comparable (i.e. a Westside 14 isn't the same as an Innova 14), but that doesn't make one scale correct and scientific and the rest nothing but sales hype. They're all sales hype.

Keep in mind that rim depth and rim conf. play into the discs ability to maintain speed, Same with dome, etc. No it's not perfect and PDGA's measurements are not perfect either. I know the Destroyer is really a 2.3 for instance in premium plastic.

Kinda of the topic here, but you really need to try the Biofuzion Enforcer. It is exactly what you are looking for and pairs nicely with the Trespass. It is also a completely different disc compared to the ridiculously beefy Lucid/Fuzion/Fluid Enforcers.

I was thinking that actually, like a 168-170 bio enforcer.

And for the Star Destroyer comment, I snagged a couple destroyers recently, but they are very OS . The star has a thin thin flight plate and dense rim so it meathooks once it looses speed. Ive come to find the Icon Outlaw to fit the bill nicely. Honestly they are all good and disc will do, just gotta throw it right in the right conditions.

I'll agree that the scales used by various companies aren't comparable (i.e. a Westside 14 isn't the same as an Innova 14), but that doesn't make one scale correct and scientific and the rest nothing but sales hype. They're all sales hype.
I don't think anyone is saying Innova scale is correct or scientific. It is however the oldest one and one most people relate to.

Another big difference is that Westside (all Trilogy for that matter) is creating their own scale to falsely resemble Innova's, but scale it up to make their products look superior.

Problem is of course that even if the two scales are not officially comparable, they are still often used as such making the Trilogy discs look better (faster / more OS) than they really are. On the speed side of things it probably helps, but the stability scale has really hurt them.

As you can see from my sig, I really love their plastic but think that their numbering scheme is a joke and they are really hurting the whole business with that stuff. :(

That's a new one on me. It's not in the Urban Dictionary, so I'm guessing it's not a common internet abbreviation. I haven't seen it on DGCR before either. Looks like "fandom" so I'm guessing you're trying to call someone a fanboy or something. Might need to make the insult more clear if you want anyone to get it (unless I'm somehow alone in not getting this).

by definition if their speed scale goes from 1-13 it is impossible for it to be a speed 14.
"Nigel Tufnel: The numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board, eleven, eleven, eleven and...

Marty DiBergi: Oh, I see. And most amps go up to ten?

Nigel Tufnel: Exactly.

Marty DiBergi: Does that mean it's louder? Is it any louder?

Nigel Tufnel: Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?

Marty DiBergi: I don't know.

Nigel Tufnel: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?

Marty DiBergi: Put it up to eleven.

Nigel Tufnel: Eleven. Exactly. One louder.

Marty DiBergi: Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?

Nigel Tufnel: [pause] These go to eleven."