• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Westside tursas

I pulled my heavy tournament Tursas a month ago after another too early flip. I know I just have to smooth it and it'll hold its turnover but in the wind the other day I turned it way down with a little more speed but it quickly flipped and drifted way right. Its been in the bag with limited use for the season and now that the flashing has worn off I think I'll have to rely on beat AMSs to handle turnovers instead of just dropping in another one of my new backup every six months:\

How much more stable are the heavy VIPs compared to my 177 Tourney? Have there been a wide variety in their PLHs?

I pulled my heavy tournament Tursas a month ago after another too early flip. I know I just have to smooth it and it'll hold its turnover but in the wind the other day I turned it way down with a little more speed but it quickly flipped and drifted way right. Its been in the bag with limited use for the season and now that the flashing has worn off I think I'll have to rely on beat AMSs to handle turnovers instead of just dropping in another one of my new backup every six months:\

How much more stable are the heavy VIPs compared to my 177 Tourney? Have there been a wide variety in their PLHs?

I have a 172 VIP and a 180 TP in my bag. The 180 TP is a lot more understable than the much lighter VIP.

You might find what you need in a heavy VIP

I'm not a Tursas thrower, but this comment caught my attention, just passing through. Forgive me for taking this a little off-course, but I am just a dumb rookie with a question.

What do you mean by "flashing"? Is that the really sharp edge that a disc sometimes has? I have found discs in the exact color and weight that I want, but have passed on them because of this uncomfortable "flaw".

Yes. On the bottom of the rim

I have a 172 VIP and a 180 TP in my bag. The 180 TP is a lot more understable than the much lighter VIP.

You might find what you need in a heavy VIP

Yes! This has been my experience as well...

The TP Tursai mold up way flatter than the VIP (but with similar PLH) and are less stable. This dichotomy holds with the Warship as well.

I'm not a Tursas thrower, but this comment caught my attention, just passing through. Forgive me for taking this a little off-course, but I am just a dumb rookie with a question.

What do you mean by "flashing"? Is that the really sharp edge that a disc sometimes has? I have found discs in the exact color and weight that I want, but have passed on them because of this uncomfortable "flaw".

Yes. On the bottom of the rim

Yeah like ManU said, there is a small thin line of extra plastic on the bottom of discs. That is flashing. Believe it or not, they make discs fly different!

Compare Opto Fuse and VIP Tursas. Which one has more turn?

Tursas. And the turn from the Tursas will be a little faster too. Ive found my fuse to have a long smooth turnover while my Tursas will turn over quickly then hold the line...leading to the tursas liking a little more height to work that line unless put on a steep hyzer flip.

I officially hate my VIP tursas. It's just too damn flippy.

I can't get any type of hyzer flip going to save my life. This has been the most troublesome disc for me this year.

I officially hate my VIP tursas. It's just too damn flippy.

I can't get any type of hyzer flip going to save my life. This has been the most troublesome disc for me this year.

I have to put my max vip tursas on a 45 degree hyzer line to allow it to flip over to a 45 degree anny line. I usually just use it on tight lines when I need to thread it through some trees then turn right. What I like it most for is throwing at 60-70 percent to get a nice smooth anny

My heavy VIP Tursas flies far and straight. Much more stable than a TM Fuse, and only slightly less stable than a lighter VIP Warship.

My 175 VIP with a little hyzer flips to flat. Tracks just a little right and fades back about the same. I am throwing it 300 to 325. I am at 4900 feet or so which may make it fly a bit more stable than you low elevation guys.

I can't get mine to hold an anny very well untill I start giving it so much anny that it becomes a roller.

Have a TP on the way for that though.

I have 3 tursi, 179tp, 178vip and 175vip. I have had the TP longer than either vip and It has been in the bag for about 3months (aced with it first round I carried it!) I deflashed all of these discs when they were new,dome and PLH is almost identical on all three discs with the tp having slightly less dome. Throwing all three back to back the tp is slightly more stable despite having MUCH more use. The vip tursi are closer to each other than the tp although the differences are slight. I know that this may be contrary to the norm in stability as it concerns dome and plastic but If I were looking for a stable one I would try a flat max wt tp. I dont know if anyone has experienced different flights in diff colors but mines purple fwiw. BTW in calm conditions Im hyzerfliping these for a straight flight or throwing high and level for a long right turn. In a tailwind Im throwing them flat and getting controlabe straight flights on 290 to 330ft holes. I see that you are thinking about an ams for similar shots, I have thrown QMS's for years and these dont seem dramatically less stable than a QMS. I would say they have slightly more turn AND more fade than a QMS and are a notch longer. I have the TP tursas in the bag along with a max wt gummy QMS. Im liking the tursas for easy D and shaped shots off the box and using the Qmy for stand stills and true lazer beams at around 225+

Never thought i would say this, but the Tursas is coming out of the bag. It served me well for shots my Tangent couldn't do at first but i find myself grabbing the Tangent more with far better success and accuracy on turnovers than the Tursas.

Its a Red VIP 173g

Reasons for dropping it:
- Too much glide, its hard to control the distance. Thanks, but I want to land under the basket, not past it (or wherever the wind may take it). Too much glide is a bad thing if you want to have real control over your discs..
- Too hard to predict the turn, i have to really baby it if i want that smooth turn over otherwise it turn&burns, i consider myself to have minimal OAT and good form. It quickly beat in, but still looks brand new with hardly a scratch, that's bad durability in my book. I dont want a disc to change THAT much THAT fast! i was just getting used to it.. :(

I see the Tursas being GREAT for new players that want effortless straight throws that glide for days and give them that extra distance on midrange fairway shots, but for me... its hurting my game every time i try to make placement turn-over shots with it. It feels like too much effort with too little chance for intended result.

I will replace it with the Tangent which has taken FOREVER, but finally its beat to the point i can call it Under-Stable, it is stealing more and more of the show, it just goes where i want it to go and i find it easier to land those longer turnover shots more accurately with much higher chance of success and feeling of control.

Last edited:
that's pretty much how feel as well.

Too bad the stamp is damn cool...

I'll still bag my tursas for high, sweeping anhyzer shots. I haven't found a disc that can make that line as effectively and with as large a margin of error as the tursas.

But yeah I'm also finding as mine gets more use I go to it less and less for low line shots or straight shots.

I'll still bag my tursas for high, sweeping anhyzer shots. I haven't found a disc that can make that line as effectively and with as large a margin of error as the tursas.

But yeah I'm also finding as mine gets more use I go to it less and less for low line shots or straight shots.

See the Tangent is working better and more accurately for me on the huge anny release high anhyzer bombs also because its more wind resistant, so no need for the Tursas.