• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wet socks

Darn Tough are nice but Smartwool makes socks in many different thicknesses. today I stood outside with kids at school and the temp was 0-18F. a half hour of standing in Soloman boots and not an issue. walking the dog even less so. I will take great socks and mediocre shoes over mediocre socks and great shoes ANY day as well.

and yes, I work at a school where we take kids out EVERY fricking day.:)

Yeah, and Smartwool midweight after a season is pretty thin. Gotta beat those socks in.

Darn Tough are nice but Smartwool makes socks in many different thicknesses. today I stood outside with kids at school and the temp was 0-18F. a half hour of standing in Soloman boots and not an issue. walking the dog even less so. I will take great socks and mediocre shoes over mediocre socks and great shoes ANY day as well.

and yes, I work at a school where we take kids out EVERY fricking day.:)

Darn Tough also have various thicknesses, and I think they fit/feel better than smartwool.

darn tough has great durability and ive been rocking some for 10-30 degree mn winter days and they are warm and held up for several seasons now

I prefer Cloudline for wool socks. The quality is absolutely on par with Darn Tough, but roughly 30% cheaper. I will admit Darn Tough has more fun designs though, so if you feel the need to pay extra for whimsy then Darn Tough is for you. Smartwool feel cheaper to me.

I picked some off brand Injinji 67% Nylon, 30% Coolmax, 3% Lycra socks 'fake wool'. They are very warm, but the sloppy wet conditions haven't presented again to try them out fully.

Why not just change socks? I bring 2 pairs of extras in my bag and change them when the others are soaked. Socks aren't heavy and can work as an emergency towel.

Why not just change socks? I bring 2 pairs of extras in my bag and change them when the others are soaked. Socks aren't heavy and can work as an emergency towel.

Lol. I don't think I bring two pairs of clean socks when I go on vacation. You were in the Boy Scouts, weren't you?

Waterproof trekking socks like Sealskinz, with a thin pair of smartwool between the 'skinz and your feet, work reasonably well (the 'skinz can be a little on the thick side at times depending on your footwear options) and last a good length of time.

Warm, minimal sweating (the wool sock helps with breathability and moisture wicking), but nothing like plastic bags.

Definitely done the plastic bag thing, lulz, check out the waterproof over-sock angle. ;)

EDIT:

I've had really good luck with two pairs of these guys.

(On a side note, Sealskinz makes some of the best waterproof performance winter gloves for discing, too, at least out of the stuff I've tried.)

Up here in Alaska I wear wool socks in all 12 months. Ya just buy your footwear to accommodate. Although both darn tough and smart wool make lower profile wool socks.

Latest posts