• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What about a new pro division?

I hear a decent amount of people on here saying there should only be two divisions. Why not try a tournament that way? It can get expensive to run tourneys (hence why I don't TD very much) but you might be able to get your club on board. Especially if you sell it to them as being something unique, something they can put their stamp on.

There ARE events that do this. They are few, but they almost always fill up because they are well run, quality events. Those of you who are of the aforementioned opinion should try it out on a B or C Tier scale. See if you can still get a bunch of people to sign up.

Push your idea forward. See if it works.

Maple Hill Open Ams is a C-Tier with just two divisions: men and women. It didn't completely fill this year, but it has in the two years prior.

I hear a decent amount of people on here saying there should only be two divisions. Why not try a tournament that way? ...

In my area, a much-appreciated TD stepped up this year to offer monthly, one-day, C-Tier tournaments at a different course each month. Three divisions - Open, Advanced, and Intermediate. The format has been very popular.

Maple Hill Open Ams is a C-Tier with just two divisions: men and women. It didn't completely fill this year, but it has in the two years prior.

Good point. So there is a market for it...In certain areas. I bet it could be pulled off here in Colorado but it would have to be one of the big, long standing tournaments like the 303 Open, Denver Classic, Mile High Classic or the Bloom. And I don't know if all of them could do it in one year.

But the Am side of MHC filled up in less than 24 hours this year. Could they do the same if there was only two divisions (MA1and FA1?) I don't know.

But any way you slice, I stand by saying there is no way to do TWO Pro divisions.

But any way you slice, I stand by saying there is no way to do TWO Pro divisions.

Unless you go non-sanctioned, which is always an option for an individual tournament, and non uncommon in certain areas of the country.

Do you guys know why those age protected divisions exist? Its because there's a market demand for them. And one reason that there's a market demand for them is because a lot of guys in the 40 and up crowd don't want to play with 20 somethings that well, act like 20 somethings.

I hear a decent amount of people on here saying there should only be two divisions. Why not try a tournament that way?
Oh, because that requires effort, and possibly a significant out of pocket expense that might not be recouped if not too many people are keen on the idea.

Thing is, as a unique one off event, that idea might work, but I don't think it would be very popular as a permanent PDGA competition structure used everywhere all the time, which seems to be what the OP and his associates here who want to rip out all the plumbing are aiming for.

The OP and his associates. That has a certain ring to it.

Some of you think the idea is "f*** that."
Some are keen to it.
Some are probably saying "why fix what isn't broken."

The reality is that an elite pro division may be the way of the future. Apparently that future is not today.

Do you guys know why those age protected divisions exist? Its because there's a market demand for them. And one reason that there's a market demand for them is because a lot of guys in the 40 and up crowd don't want to play with 20 somethings that well, act like 20 somethings.
Lulz. Resident grouch, I wonder where they got that...

In my area, a much-appreciated TD stepped up this year to offer monthly, one-day, C-Tier tournaments at a different course each month. Three divisions - Open, Advanced, and Intermediate. The format has been very popular.

_MTL_?

Rather than a new division, maybe have the NT events ratings restricted? There would have to be major corporate sponsorship, since the registration fees would be lower, but it could be done with a few tournaments each year.

Unless there is significant outside sponsorship you can't cut the lower rated guys out of the open division- they are the ones paying for the touring guys to eat cheeseburgers instead of ramen.

The pdga does a good job of allowing td's to run events as they see fit. Anyone's great idea can relatively easily be put to the test. Just don't expect someone else to do the testing for you.

Rather than a new division, maybe have the NT events ratings restricted? There would have to be major corporate sponsorship, since the registration fees would be lower, but it could be done with a few tournaments each year.

Why??? If I want to go play the Maple Hill Open with my 928 rating, who is that harming??

Someone explain to me why it is reasonable to require/expect people to play for money in order to play organised disc golf?

Someone explain to me why it is reasonable to require/expect people to play for money in order to play organised disc golf?

From what I gather from these forums and its TDs, nobody is willing to play disc golf without getting paid. Whether in real money, plastic, or prize packs.

I for one, would love to see all Ams pay a small fee, but have 100% go to the pros. (970+ guys) If you're good at disc golf, you deserve to get paid. Us ams don't deserve funny money. Winning would be nice, but the thrill of victory is payment enough.

Yea I know this train of thought is crazy to most of you. But it's one way that our great players could graduate from eating ramen, as another poster put it.

Thinking people should be paid well just because they excel at an athletic activity that provides no use value to society other than some mild entertainment or perhaps inspiration is why Western society, and American society in particular has its priorities out of whack.

Latest posts