• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What are the not popular molds in your area?

My home course was established in the '80s and a lot of the guys I play with there are old pros who have been around for 20-30 years. I don't think there's anything you could pull out that they haven't seen or thrown a million times. Most of their trunks are a treasure trove of crazy old discs.

to answer the OP, anything under speed 9

I definitely agree with this! I use Eagles, Teebirds, & Rivers most of the time but other people, many I could easily beat, are pulling out a Boss, Katana, Destroyer & trying to throw it with tons of anny to keep it from being a meathook. I'd also say baseline plastic in general. Tons of Champ & a few Star. I pull out a DX Eagle or Teebird & people assume it's the first time I've ever played!!

My condor gets some weird looks, and everyone assumes that my cobra is a roc. Other than that, most of my stuff is pretty common.

People ask about my clear SP Rouge quite a bit. Haven't run in to many DGA throwers in Austin.

Not much, but I think I throw the most Lat Stuff out of our league guys. When I tell people what I threw they recognize the brand name but know nothing of the mold.

DGA stuff. I still dont know what DGA is exactly. I think one guy in switzerland has a baseball cap with their logo, but apart from that, I have not seen anything DGA anywhere in switzerland.

Zone

None of the local stores here carry Discraft, but most people recognize the majors discs (Nuke, Avenger, Buzzz). I consistently get a 'What is that?' with my zones though. Especially since I'm throwing them off the tee on 300' holes. I had one guy that's been playing for quite a while ask if he could see it, and he said, "I could throw the s**t out of that thing!"

I've seen pretty much everything at my home course from Ions, to Lat 64, to Innova and Discraft. Even saw a guy with a 100m Laser and a Wheel the other day (guy was dirty with the wheel and no it wasn't a tourney) One thing that gets some stares is my buddy's Gumbputt. Not too many people have seen it before and even less think it's worthwhile until he starts hitting 50ft. putt after 50ft. putt with it. Ironically he sucks in the circle with it.

CFR Champion Birdie - My absolute favorite disc in the bag going on 5 years now.

Every time I'm playing in a tourney, I'm certain to be asked either 1) What the hell is that thing? or 2) Is that legal? or 3) Are you new here?

:thmbup:

There are certainly a few things that are noticeably absent in my area...virtually all DGA and Vibram.

What really throws me is the fact that I'm the only guy in my area that I know who throws Predators. In every tournament I've played, I've never met another guy who uses them. Everyone around here throws Firebirds instead.

For some reason people never seem to have heard of a TL, SL, or Viking (but they all know Nuke, Destroyer, and Wraith). People also don't seem to know that Gateway makes discs/putters other than the Wizard - my Soft Magic's get weird looks.

I guess I want to know what disc(s) you pull out & people have no clue what it is. For me it would be the Diamond. Everybody asks what it is & 99% of them have never heard of it. When I had a Glide it was the same way. What do you throw that make people take a second look??

Lot's of people are confused on Westside discs where I am from. Me and Jimbo are the only ones who rep the foreign plastic around these parts.

Comet. My division is beginning to catch on though. People that don't know my name call me the "Comet guy" and I even had a guy yell "I hate your Comets!" when I went up for my schwag during awards. Anything non-Innova or non-Gateway (putters) is uncommon around here and any of the newer brands are downright rare.

No one but my brother and his friend throw Lat 64 here. Basically, any disc that isn't overstable, no one throws around here.

Oh and midranges. Like seriously, a midrange? Why would you throw one of those when you can throw a driver 250 feet?

Latest posts