• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What are the not popular molds in your area?

vibram putters around here. They have started gaining popularity lately though.

I have to say, the only common brand is Innova. There are dudes throwing Discraft, but they are severely outnumbered by Innova. It doesn't help that the only disc shop within walking distance from the course only carries Innova... (it's actually a skateboard shop though..).

I did recently see a Discraft dealer dude post up at the first tee the other day in Golden Gate Park, and I saw him sell a lot of discs, so that's all good.

As far as weird looks/questions go though... all of my MVP discs get silent reactions or intense questioning. Haven't really had any interactions with anyone over my Lat64, Millennium, or Vibram... but that's probably because no one is picking that up out of the basket for me.

A couple of guys around here myself included throw Q sentinels. At any tourneys i always get asked what disc that was. A pro around here throws them a lot so that's why the local love for the sentinel.

Greenville, NC is not Discraft friendly at all. There's only one dealer and all they carry are Buzzzs, Nukes, Stalkers, & Challengers. I think I may be the only primarily Discraft thrower in town. Of course, the prejudice is not limited to the big D, very few people have ever heard of Lat 64 or Gateway.

Innova, Discraft, & Gateway putters are the norm around here. Lat still gets funny looks, especially the swirly GL stuff, everybody wants to fondle it! Ions don't get as many odd looks as they used to. I had one about 6 months ago & people had no clue what it was, if it was legal, or if I maybe got it at Wal-Mart from the outdoor toy section! Westside is super unknown here. I played in a charity tourney this past weekend & the local shop donated a bunch of plastic (SHAMELESS PLUG FOR PLUTO SPORTS IF YOU'RE EVER IN KNOXVILLE!!!!) & there were 5 or 6 Westside discs. I don't think anybody but me had ever seen one before

People in the city of Salem don't embrace change quickly, and that carries right into disc golfers.

I have never seen a Legacy, Westside, or Millenium disc in Salem. 1 guy has an ion but he doesn't throw it regularly (I think he bought it mostly for the novelty.) 1 guy throws a Vibram putter, but he only bought it because he loves hiking boots with Vibram soles so he gave it a try. And even though most guys like flippy discs I have only seen a couple Lat 64 discs thrown.

Our local pro loves Hurricanes and Wizards though, so there is a fair amount of those two molds floating around. Other than that pretty much everyone sticks to Innova and Discraft with a little Discmania thrown in.

Latest posts