• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What courses would you play in Charlotte, NC

Renny, Elon (2 courses), Winthrop, and Boyd Hill are your closest bets. All are good but I've heard Boyd Hill is kind of in a sketchy neighborhood so you'd probably want to pass on that one. Renny will make you beg for mercy, ElonG aka the Angry Beaver is tough but more fun, and Winthrop is the location of the USDGC so its biggest appeal is you get to shoot on baskets all the great pros have.

Not sure about the Hotel, but in regards to your questions about the courses that are close to the ballpark i would say Elon Park - Angry Beaver would be your best bet. You would also be close to Winthrop University Lakefront. Both of these are good choices!

I only played 4 but put in order of which I d replay

Nevin Amazing Challenge and Fun

Reedy Very Fun par 54 course

Renny Its hard but I'm not drawn back there...definetely the most extreme putts I've ever played

Eastway meehhh not so much love from me..but better than avg just not special

Any and all of them depending on what kind of a challenge you're wanting! Great variety to choose from!

My favorites there were Hornet's Nest, Rennaissance, Nevin, Elon Long and Reedy Creek (probably in that order).

The closest courses to Knights Stadium are gonna be Renny, both courses at Elon, and the Winthrop courses. Hornet's Nest and Nevin are just a little further north along I77, and both are worth the trip. Nevin is kind of a love/hate course. Some people love the challenge, while others hate the beat down. Almost everybody loves the Nest, and Renny's a different kind of beat down. Really, though, there's a bunch of great courses around here. I was thoroughly impressed with the Scrapyard, one of the newest courses in the area, but it's a little ways away from Knight's stadium.

I'm not sure about the hotel situation, but I'm sure there are several in that area.

I'll be down in charlotte in sept for a wedding looking forward to getting some throwing in!! Plus we might be moving down there next year.

Take your pick, most of the courses represent Charlotte really well. Personally I would avoid Reedy and Sugaw, just because they could be found pretty much in any other city.

Avoid Boyd Hill...it is a nice course...bad neighborhood

I made a comment after throwing hole one..."we're going to die" when all of the basketball players stopped and stared my group down until we were done with hole 1

What bikinjack said.
You can't really go wrong in Charlotte.
DSCJNKY

Avoid Boyd Hill...it is a nice course...bad neighborhood

I made a comment after throwing hole one..."we're going to die" when all of the basketball players stopped and stared my group down until we were done with hole 1

Boyd Hill isn't the worst neighborhood in town. I would play it but not alone. In my opinion it is tougher then the Winthrop Lakefront course.

There is a Wingate right by Renny. with the PDGA discount its cheap. nice hotel great pool Flat screens. pretty close to everything. i stayed there at the CAC and it was 53 a night. cheaper than the Sleep Inn.

I agree with all above. In addition, if you want a preview of what will be one of the 2012 Worlds most-talked-about courses, play R.L. Smith:
http://www.charlottedgc.com/2011/06/06/r-l-smith-park/

It's Charlotte's most recently opened course, still raw with natural pads, and about 20 minutes away from the I-77 corridor. But it is unlike anything else in Charlotte's stable of courses with elevation changes a key factor on most holes. However, it is not yet loner first-timer friendly. I'm sure you can easily get a group together with club members by posting as a guest here:
http://charlottedgc.invisionzone.com/index.php?/index

Charlotte has no shortage of great courses. I'm still trying to get around to playing them all. Haven't played renny or scrapyard yet, or Winthrop's course in rock hill. I really like hornets nest and Nevin. Nevin is a beast though. Prepare well cause 18 holes feels like 36 when its done slapping you around. Hornets nest is challenging but a lot of fun, so is Angry Beaver at Elon park. Have fun and check out as many as you can.

Latest posts