• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What discs do people lose the most?

You just gotta jump in the pond/lake and feel around. It's kinda scary. I actually prefer water that's deep enough to swim in. 3 feet of water sucks. You don't want to walk around in the water barefoot, there's rocks, dead branches, and probably some man-made trash to step on. You can trip and faceplant too. Not good if there's dead tree trunks in there to impale yourself on when you fall. Bending over and reaching down to your feet to feel for discs is very tiring. 5+ feet of water is much better because you can dive and cover more area with your hands.

barth said:
Billym said:
Last week a guy pulled 129 discs out of the lake at Aquatic Park. Some discs are brand new and some are vintage gems.
He will give you yours back if it is marked and he knows you. Very cool dude.
The week before he got 88 discs!

This is a very noob question but how do these people pull up these discs??? Scuba gear? Fishing nets?
This is not a lake to even wade in. I use a Golden Retriever but he uses a raft made out of a pallet and marine foam. He sees the disc and uses a long bamboo pole or stick to grab the lip (most are upside down facing) and coax it to the surface where it will float for about 30 seconds. This course may be the most unforgiving there is. No wonder numerous old school pros (installed in 1982) an Master Champs play here. Look up our weekly (which I tied for 1st place last week!!!!) and see who plays it. http://www.ebdgc.org/

Oh man, lets see. In the past 3 or 4 years I've probably found 750 discs (not counting the thrashed ones I leave behind). As for what I find most it varies based on what's hot at the time. DX valks have always been popular and I find them regardless of where I am. Pro wraiths were very hot for a time and I found like 20 in a year. Star wraiths, same story. In '04 and '05 the champion orc was the big new driver and I still have most of the 40 I found during that time.

Here's a list of what I tend to run across most often overall:

1) DX valkyrie- Everyone seems to throw these damn things.
2) Champion Valk- Same as above. Very numerous.
3) Champion Beast- old mold or new, I find tons of these.
4) Champion Sidewinder- everyone seems to throw them and their aim universally sucks.
5) Champion orc- very hot a few years ago and now hot again.
6) Champion starfire- As mentioned above these things are becoming way popular. I find them everywhere I go now.
7) Star/pro wraiths- Still find these pretty steadily.

Notice there are no discrafts on this list. They are making strides in popularity here, but not to the point that I find any one model very often. I did find about 15 ESP surges the last 2 years though.

As far as mids and putters go I find them far less frequently than drivers. The most popular mid is the Z buzz and putter is the DX aviar.

To find all these I just wade around (in waders of course) and feel them with my feet. As long as there aren't big rocks or other debris in the way its really easy to to but takes time and patience to do a thorough search. The late fall and spring are actually the best times to search because in the summer you get everyone else diving in the lakes too, which thins out the discs considerably.

I find mostly dirivers. Over the past year they have included:
Wraith
Orc
Talon
XS
Viking
Crush
Assassin
I'm sure there's a couple more molds I'm forgeting

I've only found 2 mid-ranges (a Buzz & a Millenium Sentinel).
Never found a putter.

Only a couple of the discs I've found I was able to return to their owner since most of them have been unmarked.

I've lost my share of discs in a swamp on my home course. Mostly dirvers from when I was first starting out before I knew what I was doing (translation: before I found this site). I even lost a Wizard to the swamp :oops: , but that was a throw that never should have been made so I can't get too upset about that one. I can say that I've never any of my Rocs.

progjake said:
Only a couple of the discs I've found I was able to return to their owner since most of them have been unmarked.

Oh yeah- I meant to mention that I have returned alot of what I've found. I go through lots of trouble to make sure the owner gets it back. I've even retuned unmarked discs to their original owners. I haven't had the same courtesy in return. Yet.

EBK357 said:
GREEN ones

I agree. My first lost disc was a green Champ Valk. I had put a large black "X" on it hoping that would keep me from losing it, but it didn't happen. Lost it in a big grove of bushes and trees. Looked for 10 minutes and gave up because of all the thorn bushes.

I've never found a midrange, and I've been in the local course's pond a few times. Discs found most are Wraiths, Beasts and Valkyries (I found a first run DX Valkyrie yesterday!). I think that it's funny that I find these discs on holes where high speed drivers shouldn't even be thrown on.

not surprising, though.

newer players or less serious players are infamous for throwing plastic way to big for their arms and in the wrong situations.

I found another Orc, that puts my Orc count to 3. found another Crush, putting the Crush count to 2, and a firebird (thats a new one for me. hadn't found one of those yet)

I guess people lose the same discs here as everywhere else. I've found about 50 discs and they are mostly Innova drivers. Valkyrie, Orc, Beast, Sidewinder, Roadrunner, and Wraith. One thing I've noticed is that I NEVER find UNMARKED discs that I actually throw!

i have lost 3 starfires a champ beast, cobra, champ destoryer, pro wraith, star max and a first run destoryer.

so yeah i like starfires and

I want to stray a little and rant!
I spaced a brand new leopard (yes Looking for my leopard...) in the middle of the fairway with my name and number on it and some fool (probably NOT a disc golfer) picked it up.
What did they think? It has my FN name and number; do they think I put my name and # on stuff I don't want? I realized 2 holes later and ran back.
This pissed me off more because I lost 2 Firebirds in two rounds on the same hole (#8 water hole at Aquatic Park) and didn't need to lose another disc. I have not lost that many in weeks and now in one day.
But the idiot that picked up my disc and took it is a thief.

My brother left a Kite on the course with my name and number on it. I am sure the group a few holes back found it. I saw them in the parking lot and went to talk to them ,but they were in their cars and gone before I got to them. Name and # on the disc and no calls. :evil:

i seem to lose more rocs than any other disc (all the water holes at my home course are midrange drives)