• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What distance disc next?

fasteddy8170

Par Member
A few months ago, many of you answered my post about what distance disc should I be throwing for my skill level and being that I throw Rocs so well. I am here to tell you that most of you recommended the Teebird and you guys were absolutely correct. My game has definitely improved with a DX 150g Teebird in my bag. Goes straight and doesn't mind some hyzer either. You can throw it out over water and not worry it's going to be too flippy and curve the wrong way. I can max throw it about 375 feet when I don't care where it goes and about 340 feet in controlled, neutral conditions. My next question is: what distance disc should be next? I'm not saying I'm going to step up right away but I'd like to start planning for it right now.

What's in my bag right now: putter, two 160g DX Rocs--one beat up one for anny's and a slightly used one for straight and hyzers under 270 feet, 2 (in case one goes in water) DX 150g ArchAngels for anhyzer drives (tends to be flippy but controllable), a 175g DX Leopard as utility disc, the Teebird, and a 150g DX Valkyrie.

Now, here's the thing. The Valkyrie--every DX Valk I've ever tested seems to be good at first. Then within like 30 throws, they turn really flippy. The one I have in my bag goes far but it's a crapshoot as to what it's going to do. But what drives me nuts is that I know many guys throw them for big distance. For me, Valks just don't translate to my level right now I guess. I've tried Monarchs and they seem touchy as well. I have a Champ Teebird but it feels too overstable and is hard for me to level out. (The DX plastic makes all the difference I guess.) I have a DX Beast that I kind of like but I'm not sure that's the answer either. And yes, I like the DX plastic even though it dings. They tend to fly further for me and overall are more controllable than other plastics. But if somebody can convince me otherwise, I'll listen to reason.

Thanks.

i would really suggest a striker...to me it is a faster straighter teebird...good transition i think

I love Sidewinders and Wraiths, both bump up the speed level but you don't have to be superman to get consistent results like the warp speeds. Sidewinders are nice too because the mold is consistent if you do happen to lose one.

You might try the PD. It's basically a speed 10 Teebird.

If you like the Valk except for the flippiness, you might look at the Viking. It's stable brother.

I would go with a 150g orc/sidewinder..would get a orc in dx and the sidewinder in champ.
the orc will beat in well. And the sidewinder will be flippy out of the box.

I've recently fallen in love with star plastic. I had mostly DX and a friend I play with was like try some star, you'll thank me. Alas, he was right.

I've had good luck with a 150 star valkyrie and a 165 star RR for distance. (and by distance for me, I mean 250-265)

I like the Beast as well, Champ plastic. I would be hesitant to go for a faster disc until you learn something in the speed 10 range first.

Are you hyzer-flipping that Valk or Archangel? Just checking that you are using that method for distance.

Star Valk or Viking...or a pro Wraith. I know DX has its place at certain times and for certain discs, but I really think the premium plastic is worth it, especially on drivers. The Orc is another good one. If you're getting a teebird out that far then I don't think you'll have much problem stepping up a power level or three. Sidewinders and Roadrunners can get some crazy distance, too...those and the Katana (even though it's a 13 rating) are great for stretching your reach, especially in tailwinds.

What's in my bag right now: putter, two 160g DX Rocs--one beat up one for anny's and a slightly used one for straight and hyzers under 270 feet, 2 (in case one goes in water) DX 150g ArchAngels for anhyzer drives (tends to be flippy but controllable), a 175g DX Leopard as utility disc, the Teebird, and a 150g DX Valkyrie.

dont get new molds into your bag just quite yet like everyone else is suggesting you do....just go a little heavier/more durable. a 175 dx teebird is a different creature than a 150, same with the valkyrie. once those beat up and lose some stability, grab a champ or star.

there is NO REASON to add/remove molds right now - use what already works and make it work better.

^^^^Listen to what he has to say....I play with him all the time...If I had to suggest one disc it would be the Sidewinder....either in DX or Champ....you will learn to really hyzer flip that thing well and if you do it properly the disc can really fly a long distance....I would say start with a 169g weight and work your way up from there....

dont get new molds into your bag just quite yet like everyone else is suggesting you do....just go a little heavier/more durable. a 175 dx teebird is a different creature than a 150, same with the valkyrie. once those beat up and lose some stability, grab a champ or star.

there is NO REASON to add/remove molds right now - use what already works and make it work better.

I'll second this motion as well. If you don't want to go with the premium plastic, a bump in weight will suffice. I will say that you may really like a 150 star valk!!

lightweight pro wraith.

they have so much glide... it's consistantly the farthest disc for me when i'm in the field.

I would agree that you should probably work towards throwing slightly heavier discs before branching out on molds. Possibly work on transitioning from DX to Star/Echo Star for your drivers. There's nothing really wrong with your bag(except that it's all Innova), and if you are trying to keep good form, you probably shouldn't work in faster discs until you're pushing the Valk out 400+ feet.
That being said, I'd suggest getting an Opto Striker, and a GL River. Great flight paths and they don't wear out.

I would suggest sticking with the Valkyrie.You should try Champ and Star and see what you like.I carry 2 JK's and a max weight Star.I've found that the Valkyrie is a pretty consistent mold in both plastics, its really just a matter of personal preference.I've never thrown a Pro Valk so I can't really speak on that but would imagine its a great disc too.I'm able to get Wraiths and Destroyers about 30ft further than my Valks, but I don't feel the need to use them.BTW I throw mine around 370-380 consistently.

340 out of the DX teebird is pretty good, But I would keep working with teebirds or other speed 7 or so fairway drivers for awhile, and maybe you'll figure out how to half or full hit it. It probably wouldn't hurt to add something speed 9 or 10 for your wide open distance disc though, just don't start throwing that for everything instead of your teebirds. I would also maybe recomend a heavier champ or star teebird, upper 160's or so.

I would personally step up to a star orc high 160's. My buddy just made the same step (teebird-to-Orc) and there is a dramatic difference in distance and versatility. Definitely easily controllable and consistent!

Latest posts