• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What do you do to get out of a funk?

When I hit a few bad rounds I go to a field and throw drives until my arm is tired and then I try to pick out a tree with a very small diameter trunk and then I wrap a couple pieces of hemp around it. One at about basket height and the other an estimate of the top of the chains. Throw putts at a small tree like that all day and then go to a course, it makes the real baskets relatively extra-large.

If I'm in a serious slump, it's probably because I'm doing something wrong. So I go play a round with a pro and after a few holes he can usually see the problem and fix it.

I do three things to get out of a funk:
1. Practice with my putters, both approach throws and putting.
2. I throw into a practice net to work on my form.
3. Go to a really easy course and have some fun, or I'll play doubles (best throw) by myself. Anything to make those scores look like I like them.
i do all theses to improve my confidience and attitude.

Thank you all for the great advice. Several of you said to remember that this is just a game and having fun is the main part to doing it. I've been in the mindset that every toss is some how going to make or break my score. I'm no professional so I need to stop acting like one. Hell... even Mr. Tiger Woods screws up at times. Just look at the last Open Championship. So again thanks a lot. I decided to just play through it and just keep a fun relaxed attitude about it.
To Dave... Killing legends might bring me bad karma but it's just so much FUN!

As part of a select group of players who once suffered a major injury, and couldn't play for over a year---while still being surrounded by disc golfers who were talking disc golf---I've developed a much more relaxed attitude toward bad play. Bad play beats no play at all....by a longshot. Others who've been sidelined have told me the same thing.

I would agree with just keep playing, but I would also say to get more sleep and being more methodical in your playing. In my slumps, i've noticed that I usually don't get much sleep, and I'm thinking about my shots less. zenbot was in a slump a month or so ago, and we gave him this advice.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4654&highlight=balls

It gets a little off topic toward the end though. We started talking more about how to play poorly rather than how to play well.

grab all your putters and midranges and get a couple of buddies and play games like HORSE and the like. I find when youre having fun with your friends its a lot easier to make some long putts and get your confidence up then practice practice practice. Also, go hit the field and just throw till your arm is tired that usually helps me

When this happens to me during a round or so it is always because I am overthinkning the putts and I miss the easy ones. Then I slowly start to lose confidence. Don't think too hard and let it come smoothly out of your hand and be confident in your putting.

Latest posts