• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What is a disc that everyone else loves but you just can’t make work for you?

ROC/ROC 3. Others love that disc but I can't get the disc to not dump near end of flight when it is visibly losing power. Also get the bead hooked on fingers unlike Wasp, flaw only made in Z now due to the ROC/ROC 3 having either a bigger bead or more prominent bead to the rim set up then the Wasp. Another is the Stingray as it just goes in the direction of winds 6-8 mph or more for me. I found the Shark 3 for a true midrange as the Shark also in bag is a bit slow for a true midrange distance over the Shark 3. Also can't use the Putt'r due to the Soft X it is made in, beats in funny with a mini concave after 25-40 putts that has all the glide gone from a disc that before had the best glide.

I get those saying the Magnet/Titanic/ Legacy Clutch/Innova Hydra type rim is bad as it is an odd style rim. The flight of a Discraft Magnet/DGA Titanic/Legacy Clutch is not good for power putters as it takes finesse to throw disc like this well and do feel slow.

I like the Magnet mold for my putters as it is slow like a lid and does not lose glide like the Putt'r (loved feel) due to only plastic type it is made in. Putt'r is better then Pole Cat due to its top to side not being as sharp an angle and lower then the Rattler.

TeeBird - It was just a little too deep. Something about the angles when holding it hurt my fingers on release. I switched to a Prodigy F2 and couldn't be happier.

Comet - It felt weird. I lived how it flew. I could do amazing things with it but I hated holding it. I switched to the M4.

Explorer - for my style of play, it was glideless, requiring way more effort to get results similar to my TeeBird3s. It was workable, so not a huge drop-off in performance if I had to rely on the Explorer, but why throw something harder when I can back off, work on release points, and overall get the same results?

Explorer - for my style of play, it was glideless, requiring way more effort to get results similar to my TeeBird3s. It was workable, so not a huge drop-off in performance if I had to rely on the Explorer, but why throw something harder when I can back off, work on release points, and overall get the same results?

You must have gotten a bad Explorer. The one I threw was very responsive and easily glided as well as any Teebird I've ever seen. I loved the Explorer I threw.

You must have gotten a bad Explorer. The one I threw was very responsive and easily glided as well as any Teebird I've ever seen. I loved the Explorer I threw.

I threw two SE Explorers (bubblegum pink if that matters) to the point where they were 7/10. My GStar TeeBird3s were nearly identical in flight but where either easier to throw for the same distance, or at the same power, would get noticeable more distance. I picked up an Opto (clear) in July on my road trip from Minnesota to Arizona, and played a few courses in Amarillo, Albuquerque, and Colorado Springs. Maybe the elevation changes could account for its sluggish behavior compared to what I was used to, but even when I got home, I still did not like it.

I know what I want from that slot in my bag, and my GStar TeeBird3s are close, but I would need to test out numerous more Explorers to change my mind, but after my early experiences, I am not willing to invest any more money in being proven wrong again.

I threw two SE Explorers (bubblegum pink if that matters) to the point where they were 7/10. My GStar TeeBird3s were nearly identical in flight but where either easier to throw for the same distance, or at the same power, would get noticeable more distance. I picked up an Opto (clear) in July on my road trip from Minnesota to Arizona, and played a few courses in Amarillo, Albuquerque, and Colorado Springs. Maybe the elevation changes could account for its sluggish behavior compared to what I was used to, but even when I got home, I still did not like it.

I know what I want from that slot in my bag, and my GStar TeeBird3s are close, but I would need to test out numerous more Explorers to change my mind, but after my early experiences, I am not willing to invest any more money in being proven wrong again.

Fair enough. FWIW, the Explorer didn't knock the (champion) Teebird out of my bag either. I only have the 1 Explorer, but I have probably 20 champion Teebirds. I like to throw something I can replace if need be. It would be like throwing the Getaway vs. the Thunderbird. I have a pile of Thunderbirds, but only 1 Getaway.

Also, I think Innova's plastic is better than Trilogy plastic. Simply lasts longer.

Ion.
Other than a Comet, it has the most beautiful flight of any disc. I just can't grip the darned curved inner rim.
I want that disc in my bag, but it's not worth rage quitting.

I know its not technically a single disc, but any disc made of gstar feels absolutely disgusting to me. I hate floppy plastic; the feel, the flight, the way it beats in, everything! I understand trading consistency for grip but I dont find gstar to be grippy either, especially in the wet.

I prefer something stiff that I can really use my hand strength to grip as opposed to a plastic that attempts to grip my skin.

Sorry for the psuedo rant I just really dislike gstar

Ion.
I just can't grip the darned curved inner rim.

Iconbow.gif

I know its not technically a single disc, but any disc made of gstar feels absolutely disgusting to me. I hate floppy plastic; the feel, the flight, the way it beats in, everything! I understand trading consistency for grip but I dont find gstar to be grippy either, especially in the wet.

I prefer something stiff that I can really use my hand strength to grip as opposed to a plastic that attempts to grip my skin.

I kinda agree here. The one mold in G* I actually like is the Shryke. Everything else feels weird and rubbery. I'm not a huge fan of G* in fairway drivers. I feel like the plastic is flippier than star or champion. G* Thunderbirds or Teebirds can be wild and inconsistent. I feel like I sometimes get inconsistent releases with G* discs because the plastic shifts and moves as I release it. Its too soft/pliable.

The Shryke is a different animal entirely. In G* the Shryke is fairly flippy, but in a controlled way. I can generally keep this disc straight with a good hyzer release. The G* Shryke also happens to be perhaps the longest driver I've ever thrown.

In summary, I don't like G* plastic much, but I love the G* Shryke, if that makes any sense.

I have nothing against the feel of G*. It's just that no mold has lived long in my bag in that plastic. I really don't even know why. I can cite specific examples, but they seem to be different for different molds. My favorite driver is the Tern, and no G* Tern has ever been as good as either Star or Champ for me. My one G* Shryke got too flippy too fast. My F2 G* Teebirds are too OS for that slot.

I learned a long time ago that if a disc everyone else at my basic skill level seemed to click with didn't work for me that it was something I was doing and I should just keep messing with the disc until I figure it out. My one startlingly epic fail with this strategy has been the TeeBird. TeeBirds for me in any plastic dump short. Can't for the life of me figure it out. They are supposed to beat into a dead-straight laser rope of a driver with sneaky long glide. I can't get there. This started in '99; a good friend told me TeeBirds were THE disc and I needed to try them. I didn't click with them. A few years go by and the TeeBird becomes the holy grail of control drivers; I still couldn't throw one. I carried a DX TeeBird for six years and never beat the dumpy fade out of it. Baffling. I tried TL's thinking they would compensate for the dump and fly like a TeeBird for me, but that magic glide people talk about never kicked in. :\ I beat up DX Firebirds and use them in the TeeBird slot, that works like a charm for me. I still feel like I'm missing something and try TeeBirds every couple of years.

I learned a long time ago that if a disc everyone else at my basic skill level seemed to click with didn't work for me that it was something I was doing and I should just keep messing with the disc until I figure it out. My one startlingly epic fail with this strategy has been the TeeBird. TeeBirds for me in any plastic dump short. Can't for the life of me figure it out. They are supposed to beat into a dead-straight laser rope of a driver with sneaky long glide. I can't get there. This started in '99; a good friend told me TeeBirds were THE disc and I needed to try them. I didn't click with them. A few years go by and the TeeBird becomes the holy grail of control drivers; I still couldn't throw one. I carried a DX TeeBird for six years and never beat the dumpy fade out of it. Baffling. I tried TL's thinking they would compensate for the dump and fly like a TeeBird for me, but that magic glide people talk about never kicked in. :\ I beat up DX Firebirds and use them in the TeeBird slot, that works like a charm for me. I still feel like I'm missing something and try TeeBirds every couple of years.
You need a Patriot.

Testify!

I could not agree more if you paid me to. :hfive:

I don't like GStar and I don't like the Aviar P&A... but for some reason my GStar Aviar P&A did really well for me. Maybe it's that particular disc, but the ONLY timeI'll recommend GStar is if recommending a GStar Aviar P&A.

Last edited:

Teebirds definitely aren't for everyone. They take a pretty decent amount of arm to make them fly flat for any distance. I'll also agree that Teebirds can have a dumpy late fade, especially if you don't get them to fly flat in the first place. I also don't think the Teebird qualifies as "sneaky long" either. I do bag one, and I use it for drives in the 350-375' range. The Teebird is a disc I don't WANT to be sneaky long. I want to throw it hard and know where it will go every time. That said, I played DG for 10 years without ever touching a Teebird. I never liked the TL either. I found it clunky. It was one of those discs that didn't know whether it wanted to flip or not. No accuracy/consistency out of it for me.

Its easy to go with the crowd and throw popular discs, but I still think everyone ought to come to their own conclusions on what they want to bag... or not.

Comet, great disc I can't do a damn thing with. Tried using it for form work for a while and would get lucky once in a while and throw a great shot but on the course....... Nah

The Getaway. I already said it on another forum, but the disc and I just don't work well together.

Latest posts