• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What is a disc that everyone else loves but you just can’t make work for you?

Buzzz - I have a problem with throwing my mids slightly nose up, and as a result, I prefer "older" mids that just so happen to have a bead that feels better in the hand.

Judge - Way too glidey for my putting style. The rim was never comfortable for me either.

P2 - I just never clicked with the feel which is weird since I can putt Novas just fine. I could probably use it just fine now, but my Rhynos are afraid of competition.

I know its not technically a single disc, but any disc made of gstar feels absolutely disgusting to me. I hate floppy plastic; the feel, the flight, the way it beats in, everything! I understand trading consistency for grip but I dont find gstar to be grippy either, especially in the wet.

I prefer something stiff that I can really use my hand strength to grip as opposed to a plastic that attempts to grip my skin.

Sorry for the psuedo rant I just really dislike gstar

I do not like G Star either unless for a putter disc other then a lid or very slow approach midrange disc. I have not really used the plastic much but then I feel a disc should not have that much grip or be that floppy as a driver or a faster true midrange. Z FLX works because it does not have the grip or as much flex problems that G Star does or the old ESP FLX that had same problems as G Star when they made ESP FLX for a year or two.

I kinda agree here. The one mold in G* I actually like is the Shryke. Everything else feels weird and rubbery. I'm not a huge fan of G* in fairway drivers. I feel like the plastic is flippier than star or champion. G* Thunderbirds or Teebirds can be wild and inconsistent. I feel like I sometimes get inconsistent releases with G* discs because the plastic shifts and moves as I release it. Its too soft/pliable.

The Shryke is a different animal entirely. In G* the Shryke is fairly flippy, but in a controlled way. I can generally keep this disc straight with a good hyzer release. The G* Shryke also happens to be perhaps the longest driver I've ever thrown.

In summary, I don't like G* plastic much, but I love the G* Shryke, if that makes any sense.

In Putters and approach midrange discs though I could see an application for G Star plastic say uphill and downhill putting and approaching.

KC Aviar. Was given one as my first putter. I could never get a consistently clean release out of my hands for putting. It's too deep, and the bead is too big. I liked its slightly OS flight as a throwing putter, but I was able to replicate that with an Envy. Will never bag a KC Aviar again.

Buzzz - the epitome of the 'modern midrange'. Disc acts too much like a driver and doesn't get fairway driver distance. Not very good over a wide range of speeds like more traditional mids are.

Firebird - unusably overstable for me and my game.

Modern 12 X and up KC plastic, it feels like they somehow managed to take all the glide out of the Disc with that plastic type.

Last edited:
Soft Magnets: Others that love the Magnet seem to love the Soft for a putter, especially before the Jawbreaker (amazing plastic) plastic came out.

I loved the feel of soft the old version but that was back in the 2000's when I first found the Hard disc as Discraft was changing Pro D plastic up and New plastic for an old Soft Magnet was then close what the new regular Pro D would feel like when it fully broken in. Now newer Soft Pro D Magnets are very floppy and only good for uphill/downhill putting, but another mold has taken that spot for now until one of my Mangets in Jawberaker beats in more getting floppy and I rotate the putting one to the slot of my longer 25-27 ft to 35-27 ft approach putt and hazard putt slot getting a new one for putting.

Last edited:
Presently, it's the Maverick. I've seen some nice lines tossed with the Maverick, but it's one of those discs that feels "yucky" in my hand. It's in the pile to be revised at a later date. (PtbR also includes the Shield, Gobi, and GL Pure.)

Rocs & buzzzes, I just can't get over the sharp bottom of the mold as it catches on my hand sometimes. I originally got a buzzz because of the "comfortable beadless grip". I found it anything but comfortable. Eventually I found the Truth with its chunky rounded rim and I've been set with midranges ever since.

I also didn't like leopards until I found the Leo3.

Meteor - still can't figure out the perfect speed of this disc.

Envy - tried every plastic type and still could not get comfortable with this disc.

Latest posts