• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is appropriate clothing for tournaments?

pjhayes7

Double Eagle Member
So I have of course read the rules on dress code. I have a couple of questions that are not about rules but more about opinion.

Are jeans every appropriate? I would never wear them in the heat, but during the winter, they seem to be the best pants to wear (since most khaki pants or performance pants are usually designed for the summer and not warm enough. If yes, should they be darker (which most of mine are anyway)? If not, what would have equal warmth?

What about running shorts (I am not talking about super short ones either)? In the summer, I find the longer version of these to be the most comfortable and provide the most freedom of movement.

Any other opinions on what is or isn't appropriate are welcome as well (not just about pants).

Dress to distract. It really doesn't matter much unless you are playing in a NT or Major. I would invest in some stretchable hiking pants or lightweight snow pants.
1486824_938510002831251_1013785525803536228_n.jpg

Because you are concerned enough to ask the question.
I am sure that whatever you wear will be ok.
Because I believe that attitude and how you act will also be part of this equation.

At PDGA tournaments, dress codes are very loosely enforced outside of the highest level events (NTs and Majors), if they're enforced at all. In all my years of playing PDGA tournaments, the only part of the dress code I've seen consistently enforced is making everyone wear a shirt, which in winter shouldn't(?) be a problem. Beyond that, it's only at the NTs or Majors that a bigger deal has been made with regard to collared shirts and such.

If you're not playing PDGA or an event at a private facility with its own dress codes and guidelines (say a ball golf course), what you wear really doesn't matter all that much and nobody can really say anything about it anyway. As long as you're comfortable and not breaking any decency laws, wear what you want. Jeans are a perfectly acceptable garment, even at PDGAs (though to be on the safe side of the dress code, make sure they're not ripped up).

So I have of course read the rules on dress code. I have a couple of questions that are not about rules but more about opinion.

Are jeans every appropriate? I would never wear them in the heat, but during the winter, they seem to be the best pants to wear (since most khaki pants or performance pants are usually designed for the summer and not warm enough. If yes, should they be darker (which most of mine are anyway)? If not, what would have equal warmth?

What about running shorts (I am not talking about super short ones either)? In the summer, I find the longer version of these to be the most comfortable and provide the most freedom of movement.

Any other opinions on what is or isn't appropriate are welcome as well (not just about pants).

I have a hard time believing jeans are ever a good option when disc golfing, even in the winter. They are heavy, they absorb water and they will also freeze up in time from the moisture. I would do my best to avoid using jeans. Have a friend who wears them often in the winter and by the time the round is finished his jeans are frozen from the feet to the shins.

Better off with a nice pair of long johns for the warmth and a lightweight pair of athletic pants for wind/moisture protection over them. If playing in deeper snow you may want to look into gaiters to keep the snow out of your shoes/boots. Add a pair of nice thick socks and you are going to be comfortable all day long. :thmbup:

Pretty much anything goes at tournaments outside of National events. Don't sweat it, wear whatever is comfortable and helps you play your best. Good luck!

I have a hard time believing jeans are ever a good option when disc golfing, even in the winter. They are heavy, they absorb water and they will also freeze up in time from the moisture. I would do my best to avoid using jeans. Have a friend who wears them often in the winter and by the time the round is finished his jeans are frozen from the feet to the shins.

Better off with a nice pair of long johns for the warmth and a lightweight pair of athletic pants for wind/moisture protection over them. If playing in deeper snow you may want to look into gaiters to keep the snow out of your shoes/boots. Add a pair of nice thick socks and you are going to be comfortable all day long. :thmbup:

Pretty much anything goes at tournaments outside of National events. Don't sweat it, wear whatever is comfortable and helps you play your best. Good luck!

This ^^^ Jeans suck in the snow. I wear thermal long johns and some hiking pants and stay warm.

This ^^^ Jeans suck in the snow. I wear thermal long johns and some hiking pants and stay warm.

Yeah, I live in Georgia, so not much snow here. And when it does, we are so unprepared it would take he all day to get to the course. Seriously, a couple of years ago it took me two hours to get home from a Walmart (to be fair it was an extreme amount for this part of the country). I could throw the distance in about 5 or 6 throws (ok, 7 or 8) and easily could have walked faster, even with the ground covered in a sheet of ice.

I will look into getting a pair of long johns. I have not owned a pair since I still wore footie pajamas.

I have a couple pairs of wind pant type things that have fleece liners in them. Most of the time in the winter that's all I wear. I really hate having two pairs of pants on so they are a godsend.

There is a great saying about winter clothing, "cotton kills."

Don't wear jeans in the winter if you want to stay warm.

Synthetics or wool are your friend.

I wear a light thermal layer with a poly mid layer and wind breaker type pants.

Light enough, warm enough, while maintaining flexibility.