• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is bag tag?

Riptide572

Hey everyone, I'm sorry if this has been posted before but with as many posts as there are on DGCR I haven't found a post with good details on how bag tag is played. Also, a google search shows me a bunch of leagues but not definitive rules as to how it is actually played. I guess I can understand that basic jist that you challenge another player for their tag, but the details elluded me. Does the winner take both tags or just the lower number? If the lower number is better, why don't all 50 players challenge the holder of tag 1 every week?
If anyone has a link or could post some detailed rules on this format it would be very much appreciated. Thank you for your time, and hope you are all enjoying a great day on the course this weekend!

There's a lot of ways it can be done. A big round of singles where tags are handed out initially by score then challenges can be made whenever you play a round with someone who you wish to challenge. There can be a league based around those tags so you provide additional times to mix up the numbers again based off those scores. You could even set restrictions on number of spots up you can challenge if you want. That's not common but it's something we are doing with our's because it's being used as a way for everyone to get to know each other instead of it being a bunch of smaller groups playing separately. This way tag 50 can't always challenge tag #1 and not meet others. It's a limit of 5 unless both parties agree. So tag 50 can play tag 20 for their tag if both agree to the terms of the round but he can also say no to the higher tag. Only people within five of your tag number have to accept the challenge. It's slowly working to introduce more of the regulars to each other. Of course you still have those people who will buy a tag and maybe play 3 rounds all year. Those people should really not be getting in a bag tag group in my opinion but that's just me. I think it works best with very active regular players.

Winner does not keep both tags. They take the lower tag number.

Usually, a local club makes tags and then puts them on sale at a certain time. First response gets tag 1, 2nd response tag 2 etc. The number 1 tag is the most coveted tag.

Tags are to be displayed on your bag, so everyone can see them. Anyone can challenge you during casual or league play.

It's considered rude going into "hiding" and avoiding DG courses, just to hang on to a low numbered tag. It's against the rules to "hide" or hang your tag in your bag where it can't be seen.

When you win/lose a challenge, you exchange tags with the other person.

Usually, a local club makes tags and then puts them on sale at a certain time. First response gets tag 1, 2nd response tag 2 etc. The number 1 tag is the most coveted tag.

Tags are to be displayed on your bag, so everyone can see them. Anyone can challenge you during casual or league play.

It's considered rude going into "hiding" and avoiding DG courses, just to hang on to a low numbered tag. It's against the rules to "hide" or hang your tag in your bag where it can't be seen.

When you win/lose a challenge, you exchange tags with the other person.

I didn't make that very clear. Sometimes you win or lose a challenge, and tags aren't exchanged. Tags ARE exchanged, if a person with a higher numbered tag, beats a person with a lower numbered tag.

Usually, a local club makes tags and then puts them on sale at a certain time.

In my observation of clubs around the country, "usually" there's a bag tag season opener, a tournament that sets the order of the tags handed out. If you want a tag and weren't a part of that event, you get to purchase from the pool of remaining tags - sometimes in order of what's left, sometimes you get to choose from the pool, or get to choose from what a particular vendor carries. The MFA for example gives tags to multiple vendors - GGGT might have 200-400, FF might have 400-500, BRP might have 400-450, some individuals might carry 20 or so tags, etc.

Then tag rules vary from place to place. Some, every league/tourney event everybody throws their tags in a pile and there's a big shuffle. Sometimes might swap amongst only the card you play on. Sometimes you might have to officially cross challenge a specific person on any other card, etc.

So there are no repercussions for challenging and losing? Seems like BS to me that only the person with the better tag, would having something at stake.

So there are no repercussions for challenging and losing? Seems like BS to me that only the person with the better tag, would having something at stake.

Maybe you miss the point. First, it is about the chance to meet people, play disc golf, sate the competitive jazz and earn bragging rights. We use challenges to take the opportunity to get together, bag some new courses, battle till near death and have a couple cold ones, rehashing the contest. We play tags whenever a few of us are all in a tournament together, as well. Providing for a little tournament, within the tournament. Our challenges are not always one on one. Often groups of us get together and redistribute the tags on basis of score. Lowest score gets the lowest tag and so on. Sometimes just having fun is the objective.

The lower number has the comfort and accomplishment of fending off all challengers to his number.

The lower number has the chance to test his mettle against a "so called" superior opponent.

Win-win in my book.

Are there any bigger clubs that do memberships/tags that are longer than yearly?

In my club, if you challenge and don't gain the higher tag, the person you challenged gets to throw three high speed drivers at you from a distance of 15 feet. Important to have some skin in the game.

Granted, no one has yet joined my club.

Pretty sure you meant to say this:
The lower number has the comfort and accomplishment of fending off all challengers to his number.

The lower higher number has the chance to test his mettle against a "so called" superior opponent.

Win-win in my book.

And to his bigger point, it's all about promoting friendly competition, because there's always something riding on the outcome.

It's a fun way to challenge others in your league, try to beat "better" players, see how the tags get swapped around, raise money for league/course improvements.

There are some basics, but there can be almost as many variations on how it's done as there are leagues out there.

Also it's not typically like a one-on-one challenge for the bag tag. I don't see people calling up whoever is holding the #1 tag to "challenge" them. It's more like someone will post on the club FB page that they're going out to throw a tag round, who wants to join?

Also typically clubs issuing tags hold at least weekly leagues, where the tag order gets re-set every week. So if someone wants to take a low-number tag and hide out, good for them I guess. They're missing out on a season of playing with their friends.

Is today National Thread Necromancy Day or something?...

I remember getting pilloried for creating new threads when an old one existed. So someone has a question, revives an old thread, and you're taking this shot? Which way do you want it? :confused:

I remember getting pilloried for creating new threads when an old one existed. So someone has a question, revives an old thread, and you're taking this shot? Which way do you want it? :confused:

There's a difference between reviving an old thread to actually ask a legitimate question related to the thread and what happened here. He just opened up an old thread and made a comment like he was part of a 5yr old conversation. If dude would have been like, "I'm starting a bag tag and I think there should be added stakes..." or something then yea.

Also, that was like the third or fourth person to do something like that that day, which is why I made my comment.

Last edited: