• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] What is like the Eagle-X in pretty plastic?

And you get all those Chinese toxins in the plastic as an added bonus...

GStar eagle ftw!

They are molded in the Carolinas... Some of the molds were
Made in China by Yikun but the Vein wasn't among them.

If you can get past all the anti Salient bias on here it's actually a good disc. We had them for our East meets West tournament and it was a big hit.

The Discraft Cyclone and Prodigy F2 are slightly shorter discs with similar flight paths to the Eagle. They may not be up to your beauty standards, but they are a lot closer than a Vein. Then again, Salient has retooled a few of their discs after being fully released, so who knows. Salient makes up so much crap I'm sure they can't even sort out the truth anymore.

Thanks for the replies.

Aside from the color schemes, I haven't been impressed with the MVP/Axiom drivers.

I'm interested in the Stag but have read that it flies more like a teebird.

As far as gstar EXs go, how do they fly?

Ill never understand this. They make some of the best molds the most reliably of any other company out right now that are in line with the "great" molds of all time.

If you are impressed with innova, DC, Latitude... MVP/Axiom should blow you away. You cant go wrong with a Clash, Servo, or Shock. If you want to mess around with Latitude you wont find a eagle, or TB, or any of the regular molds. They have discs will fly similar but focus a lot of distance drivers not fairways like MVP has.

If you want a good fairway/control driver there is no better company in the game which has as many options that mold up as well of course unless baseline plastic is a need. Prodigy has a 2nd spot with all the new F series but.... well.... yeah'

Last edited:
Ill never understand this. They make some of the best molds the most reliably of any other company out right now that are in line with the "great" molds of all time.

If you are impressed with innova, DC, Latitude... MVP/Axiom should blow you away. You cant go wrong with a Clash, Servo, or Shock. If you want to mess around with Latitude you wont find a eagle, or TB, or any of the regular molds. They have discs will fly similar but focus a lot of distance drivers not fairways like MVP has.

If you want a good fairway/control driver there is no better company in the game which has as many options that mold up as well of course unless baseline plastic is a need.

I'll back this up all day. I've never found a "dud" for any MVP/Axiom fairway. Pickup a crave and give it a go. They're fantastic. The clash however is more the flight you are looks for to match an eagle.

In my comparisons, I've found MVP/Axiom discs flying shorter than other discs that were in the same speed category. I wanted to like their drivers and support the company but I had to be honest with myself and realize that I couldn't justify what I was getting from MVP/Axiom when compared to other, similar molds.

For example, I was excited and bought some Volts when they came out only to come away unimpressed with their flight. I hoped the P Volt would rectify my problem but it only confirmed it: it's not as long as other discs in the same speed category. I bought a couple of Craves thinking that the fairway option would a better foray for MVP/Axiom. Alas, I came away thinking the same thing as I did with Volt. All it took for me to dislike the Ion was to putt with it in the morning when the dew was still fresh. Premium plastic for putting duties is not ideal. Sure, people can get away with it, but it is not ideal.

Granted, I've only tried three different discs, but I can't simply afford to continue to buy discs only to end up not liking them. I will say that I'm intrigued by the Clash however I think it will end up like the Volt, Ion, and Crave: on the "chopping" block.

I like the desire and direction that MVP/Axiom wants to go, but I haven't been "blown away" by what I've tried. Don't get me wrong, I'll probably still venture down the MVP/Axiom road but they are not a priority like they use to be.

If you want a good fairway/control driver there is no better company in the game which has as many options that mold up as well of course unless baseline plastic is a need. Prodigy has a 2nd spot with all the new F series but.... well.... yeah'

Imo, I think Innova, Discraft, Millennium, Discmania, and Legacy have better options than MVP/Axiom. As far as consistency goes, every company has their problems including MVP/Axiom.

I'm not "bashing" MVP/Axiom just giving my observations.

Man I wouldn't say that at all. I have a GStar Eagle-X, and it's definitely beefier than my 2 champion Eagles. In fact I bag it to be more of a wind fighter.

Alright. Sweet! davidrboy said that they were like a broken in star. I wonder if weight has anything to do with it?

Could just be my bad form. (I'm working on it) Could also just be inconsistency in the production of the mold. There aren't very many in circulation, and 100% of them are from the pro shop, so it's not like you can stand and compare one disc to another at your local PAIS. I'd say it's probably too early to call on flight characteristics in relation to other Eagle plastics. It's a super small sample size.

FWIW, mine is a 175.

Here are the three I've been carrying, most to least OS.
175 JL Circle Stamp
171 F2 Champ
175 GStar

On the ground, the JL Circle Stamps are gorgeous.
The F2 is the prettiest when it's in the air. Workhorse.

Attachments

• eagles.jpg
    eagles.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 23
Could just be my bad form. (I'm working on it) Could also just be inconsistency in the production of the mold. There aren't very many in circulation, and 100% of them are from the pro shop, so it's not like you can stand and compare one disc to another at your local PAIS. I'd say it's probably too early to call on flight characteristics in relation to other Eagle plastics. It's a super small sample size.

FWIW, mine is a 175.

Inconsistency comes from many different runs. Unless they have pumped out several runs of the G Star Eagle-L (doubtful) then they should all fly more or less the same.