• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is this abomination?

So many years of no change then all this madness at once not even baby steps no warning, nothing, I don't even know how to tell this site a course I played at anymore, or find the courses I have played. Not a fan,,,,
When your forum software is a decade old, there're not going to be baby steps, you just have to rip off the bandaid.

Beta testing went on for what, like a month? There was plenty of warning, IMHO

Mark as played:
1690232167204.png

To see your played courses, click your avatar in the upper right, click your name in the popup, and then click "Courses" in the right column

Alia-Atreides-Dune-1984.jpg

Guess not. I suppose all of the trans debate regurgitation threads will just get moved to landfill now? Perhaps the politics trolls will move somewhere else like reddit where they should be. :|
Oh, I am glad I was not here for the Trans debate. I have stepped away from disc golf because I got so tired of nasty people focusing on the players instead of the policy. People can be pro or con on the issue and we can be cool. But the constant attacks on individuals is not cool. Attacks on Ella Hanson by men who think she is Natalie Ryan pushed me over the edge.

The new site is awful. It lost a ton of momentum as people and mostly younger crowd moved to only use UDISC. This is the wrong direction.

The new site is awful. It lost a ton of momentum as people and mostly younger crowd moved to only use UDISC. This is the wrong direction.
Thank you for the feedback - Can you help me understand what momentum you're referring to? As your last post (prior to the upgrade) was stating DGCR was already lost to Facebook Groups and a competitor. From your profile, you've been playing for decades, so I want to get this right - but I'm also confused as your last review was in 2020, and your last scoreboard was in 2018.

So taking from your experience, can you provide additional feedback I can action on? A number of the other members have been open about what they need us to correct, and we're happy to do it. So really welcome that feedback.

I will agree with him that UDisc has swept in and become the go to course directory and scorecard for many. Many new players haven't heard of DGCR and if you tell them about it they are unlikely to really give it a chance if they are already using/use to UDisc. A large piece of this is they started as and are mostly an app. With course directory and scorecard being what most people need they don't look for the forums and reviews as local social media handles a lot of the forum needs and UDisc does have a crap rating feature. UDisc is also starting a forum so if they get that off the ground it could impact this site even more.

First, what is the main purpose of this site? What are you trying to achieve? Is it strictly a discussion place / forums? Was there a goal as a one stop shop for disc golfers?

As a place to come and browser top courses, forums, etc. I like the old dashboard and home page better. It is very easy to get to, see my wishlist, courses played. I gave up on the discs section as I'm constantly buying and selling. I gave up on putting scores in as UDISC is easy, I keep score on my apple watch. If you are trying to make a reactive website, I would advise to use an app for mobile devices instead.

IN one posts it states, "Shortly I will post "how to" guides to help navigate the site,". If you have to post a guide you have failed. I have been in software for 30 years. All the great websites and software are intuitive and you don't need a guide.

I like the idea on the home page, but I don't think it is executed well. I don't care about new reviews on a course for the UK. I would probably like the default to be local plus courses in the wishlist maybe. The site would been more engaging if local disc golf used it for communication etc and I kept all the scores in an easy to use app.

If you had a crystal ball, dg should have made a similar app to UDISC. Let people use a nice clean app to keep scores and review the courses they play as they do it. The app also lets you find courses now and see how busy they are. The UDISC app is very useful. A DGCR app would have integrated with the main website / Browser version. Maybe the website and app let you find local disc golfers close who might want to play a round together?

So me and I suspect most people don't want to go to one place to keep score, one place to find their local clubs and another place to read up on technique forums etc. I think this site was first and I wish it would have combined everything into one.

First, what is the main purpose of this site? What are you trying to achieve? Is it strictly a discussion place / forums? Was there a goal as a one stop shop for disc golfers?

As a place to come and browser top courses, forums, etc. I like the old dashboard and home page better. It is very easy to get to, see my wishlist, courses played. I gave up on the discs section as I'm constantly buying and selling. I gave up on putting scores in as UDISC is easy, I keep score on my apple watch. If you are trying to make a reactive website, I would advise to use an app for mobile devices instead.

IN one posts it states, "Shortly I will post "how to" guides to help navigate the site,". If you have to post a guide you have failed. I have been in software for 30 years. All the great websites and software are intuitive and you don't need a guide.

I like the idea on the home page, but I don't think it is executed well. I don't care about new reviews on a course for the UK. I would probably like the default to be local plus courses in the wishlist maybe. The site would been more engaging if local disc golf used it for communication etc and I kept all the scores in an easy to use app.

If you had a crystal ball, dg should have made a similar app to UDISC. Let people use a nice clean app to keep scores and review the courses they play as they do it. The app also lets you find courses now and see how busy they are. The UDISC app is very useful. A DGCR app would have integrated with the main website / Browser version. Maybe the website and app let you find local disc golfers close who might want to play a round together?

So me and I suspect most people don't want to go to one place to keep score, one place to find their local clubs and another place to read up on technique forums etc. I think this site was first and I wish it would have combined everything into one.

I'm curious - what do YOU think the main purpose of DGCR should be? It's a good question and I will be curious to hear what greens and the other staff members are thinking at that 10,000 ft level as well.

I'm reading a good portion of your comments as "I wish DGCR was more like UDisc". Personally, I don't think DGCR should try to be a direct competitor to UDisc. What would the point of that be? As you might have seen or even participated in, there have been tons and tons of forum conversations here comparing the two. To me, they are two different resources serving different purposes. Most of my feelings about UDisc and DGCR and their differences are actually summed up here: Udisc vs DGR

I don't agree that things like viewing your wishlist, or putting in scores are any more difficult now than they were before. Putting in scores actually hasn't changed at all (yet). And yeah, the DGCR app doesn't have all of the extra bells and whistles that UDisc has but I actually like the simplicity of it personally. I don't want to track if every shot I threw was on the fairway, off the fairway, circle 1, etc. I just want to know what I scored on each hole and if I three putted or not. The home page is still evolving - like greens said people are giving feedback on it (and everything else) and they are making tweaks.

I agree with you that in an ideal world, there would only be one go-to site for disc golf. But that doesn't seem to be the way that things have evolved over the last 10-15 years. And its also not how anything works really. Do you get all your news from one site? Do you buy everything you need from one store? I sure don't.

The main purpose is right in the name and url. Disc Golf Course Review.

While some users seem to only exist in the forums, the reviews and the course directory are what brought most everyone here in the first place. When dgcr started, the course directory was miles ahead of the only competition (pdga). Now udisc has the most complete directory, but their reviews and the rankings derived from them are next to useless.

And yeah, the DGCR app doesn't have all of the extra bells and whistles that UDisc has but I actually like the simplicity of it personally. I don't want to track if every shot I threw was on the fairway, off the fairway, circle 1, etc. I just want to know what I scored on each hole and if I three putted or not.

I concur that I like the simplicity of the DGCR app for scorekeeping.

The main purpose is right in the name and url. Disc Golf Course Review.

While some users seem to only exist in the forums, the reviews and the course directory are what brought most everyone here in the first place. When dgcr started, the course directory was miles ahead of the only competition (pdga). Now udisc has the most complete directory, but their reviews and the rankings derived from them are next to useless.

My hope is this site can get back to being the most complete directory. Sucks to have to always check both to make sure you find them all.

I concur that I like the simplicity of the DGCR app for scorekeeping.
If DGCR had scorekeeping on my watch, I'd stop paying for UDisc in a heartbeat. It's as simple as you want to make it. Don't want to keep track of fairway hits, circle 2 putts, or OBs? Then don't.

UDisc for scoring (and occasionally maps), DGCR for reviews, ratings, and community

UDisc
If DGCR had scorekeeping on my watch, I'd stop paying for UDisc in a heartbeat. It's as simple as you want to make it. Don't want to keep track of fairway hits, circle 2 putts, or OBs? Then don't.

UDisc for scoring (and occasionally maps), DGCR for reviews, ratings, and community
Thanks for the feedback, I know that will take a little more work on our side (read, A LOT) but I'll put it on the list.

Beta testing went on for what, like a month? There was plenty of warning, IMHO
As a site user who is a forum user who didn't tend to check the Announcements forum ever, I missed the first few weeks of beta. Were the people who are site users who are not forum users ever notified?

One feature I'd need is the ability to share live scoring to friends.

To reference a few names Vogie knows..... Deuce (Colorado), Evan (Ypsi), and I almost never get to golf together. But we will share out live scores all the time to our little group chat and badger each other.

Its been something I never knew I wanted from a scorecard app that has been an unexpected pleasant surprise. Although I do like to post in the How Did You Play Today thread here as a bit of cathartic mental dumping, I don't really post anything about my scores to any social media sites. But I do enjoy being able to share with friends and see their scores popping up hole by hole while I'm sitting around at work.

One feature I'd need is the ability to share live scoring to friends.

To reference a few names Vogie knows..... Deuce (Colorado), Evan (Ypsi), and I almost never get to golf together. But we will share out live scores all the time to our little group chat and badger each other.

Its been something I never knew I wanted from a scorecard app that has been an unexpected pleasant surprise. Although I do like to post in the How Did You Play Today thread here as a bit of cathartic mental dumping, I don't really post anything about my scores to any social media sites. But I do enjoy being able to share with friends and see their scores popping up hole by hole while I'm sitting around at work.
There is a Share button in the DGCR Android app. I haven't tried it personally, and it doesn't currently seem to be working, but probably just another artifact of the site changes that needs to be addressed?

UDisc

Thanks for the feedback, I know that will take a little more work on our side (read, A LOT) but I'll put it on the list.
No doubt. And honestly, I can wait until the site and app are (mostly) finished before looking into watch integration, I know it's a big ask.

Latest posts