• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is this disc worth? (Part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the problem though, in how people interpret the charts. I can't necessarily tell you how to do things, since I'm not the one taking the effort to do it. But if it were me, I wouldn't include anything that seems like an outlier, even with such small numbers.

Sticking with the 11x Eagle-L example. Lets say I've seen them going for $20-30 consistently over time in the Marketplace, but once I saw someone sell one for $45 somehow. If someone asks me what an 11x Eagle-L is worth, I'm probably not going to mention the $45 one.

Same goes for the eBay spreadsheets. If you were to crunch your numbers and come up with a spreadsheet like the one about the 11x Eagle-L's, it might be worthwhile to remove any supposed outliers and note something like "Some listings were removed which were more than XX% outside of the norm".

The debate about eBay and Marketplace prices isn't going anywhere, but it seems dangerous to me to include discs that are so far outside of what they normally sell for.

I am not sure how it is dangerous to include all the data. If a seller over prices some disc, it will probably not sell. If they need to sell the disc they will price the item at the average going rate or lower.

I also show all the low outliers too.

What do you think the XX% should be? Editing can become very subjective.

I think it's dangerous because it inflates prices in the marketplace. You can debate eBay prices versus the Marketplace, but even you can agree that it's not reasonable for a disc like that 11x Eagle-L to sell for nearly 75% above the rest of them.

I also think it's dangerous to include sales that are too low of outliers, because sometimes things slip through the cracks on eBay. If something sneaked through and sold for $10 instead of the $40 that it's worth, an uninformed seller may think that's normal and get less than what they deserve for that disc. Although I suspect that this is significantly less common than the other way around.

As for the XX%, I don't honestly know. I don't want to tell you how to do your thing since I'm not the one making the effort to do it.

Gummy Rhyno

http://s1279.beta.photobucket.com/user/kerplunk412/media/gummy_Rhyno_zps3bb90a5f.jpg.html

175g (scale weighed), small ink and some larger ink that is mostly faded, stamp wear. ~6.5/10, mostly due to ink and stamp wear. I don't think it is XG, but it is San Marino and much gummier than any of my Ontario Rhynos. I have an Asia Open that I think it XG, this one is closer to that, although not as gummy.

I am probably looking to trade this guy, find kerplunk on Discaroo to see my wants.

Thanks to all appraisers! :thmbup:

etUBXH1l.jpg
Thank you!

20130219_1943580_zpsc5767e3e.jpg

Glow Leopard 171g 7/10

20130219_194342_zpsccd0082f.jpg

Gummy Z Flick from 2005 Unknown Weight (feels under max weight) 10/10

20130219_194325_zps3439be88.jpg

Photon Glow Talon from 2003 Unknown Weight (fells around max weight) 9/10

I think it's dangerous because it inflates prices in the marketplace. You can debate eBay prices versus the Marketplace, but even you can agree that it's not reasonable for a disc like that 11x Eagle-L to sell for nearly 75% above the rest of them.

I also think it's dangerous to include sales that are too low of outliers, because sometimes things slip through the cracks on eBay. If something sneaked through and sold for $10 instead of the $40 that it's worth, an uninformed seller may think that's normal and get less than what they deserve for that disc. Although I suspect that this is significantly less common than the other way around.

As for the XX%, I don't honestly know. I don't want to tell you how to do your thing since I'm not the one making the effort to do it.

The thing is, that's just the nature of things. Values are dynamic and change overtime, and people paying a lot or people selling it for little are the driving factors in that change. Preferably everything would stay the same as far as discs prices go, but we'd kind of have to assume everyone following guidelines or some omnipotent head figure controlling the pricings and sellings. Both Mr. Anderson and the group that includes everyone else have solid stances and neither one is wrong.

But hey, I'm in the everyone else group, so down with Mr. Anderson!

The way I see it the MP, EBAY, and some guys trunk cannot be exclusive markets. If they were then CE plastic could be still purchased for under $20. If they were exclusive, there would be many people who would purchase discs from the MP and just flip them. Attempting to keep the two separate is futile. It is altruistic trying to keep the MP prices artificially lower, but it is not realistic and someone is or will take advantage of the imbalance.

People who chose to pay more for a disc and who are more liberal with their money will influence the disc golf collectors economy. Most of the people who are upset at the charts are buyers, and nobody wants to pay more for a disc that they want (not need). It is all speculation. If someone is willing paying more than stock prices for a new disc they are taking a risk.

I personally love the Ebay spreadsheet, Ebay is one of the ways I determine what discs are worth, and Mr. Anderson makes is easy for all of us. There is no such thing as "bad" data, just poor quality data, and I see no reason to doubt the quality of the data Mr. Anderson provides.

I personally love the Ebay spreadsheet, Ebay is one of the ways I determine what discs are worth, and Mr. Anderson makes is easy for all of us. There is no such thing as "bad" data, just poor quality data, and I see no reason to doubt the quality of the data Mr. Anderson provides.

We are not doubting his data, so much as people's interpretation of the data. His data is objectively correct as discs really did sell for that much (we're assuming he doesn't make up random numbers although that would be hilarious). However, the data still takes a fair amount of interpretation, ie considering weight, color, etc and to someone who is less knowledgeable on the current market, they will just pick the higher value on the chart most likely.

I mean you could then argue that it just won't sell and a bunch of other stuff, but I digress.

would a first run champ destroyer be worth more if instead of the typical three stamps it had a party time star stamp?

I mean you could then argue that it just won't sell and a bunch of other stuff, but I digress.

This is the power of a free market economy-- something is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay, the sellers never determine a price of something in a free market due to the principles of a free price system. Even if a person picks the "wrong" value for a disc but it sells that simply means it was worth that much to a buyer. Its the same with anything not heavily regulated and with any resale value you can't really agrue what a REAL value is because they constantly change and are only best represented by the most recent sold data.

This is the power of a free market economy-- something is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay, the sellers never determine a price of something in a free market due to the principles of a free price system. Even if a person picks the "wrong" value for a disc but it sells that simply means it was worth that much to a buyer. Its the same with anything not heavily regulated and with any resale value you can't really agrue what a REAL value is because they constantly change and are only best represented by the most recent sold data.

I understand, it's just as a buyer, I kind of enjoy a more regulated economy. From an outside perspective, it's really cool to observe change, I just don't like paying more haha.

This discussion belongs in the thread created for it.
Let's quit beating this dead horse in this thread.
PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts