• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is your most memorable tournament moment?

ZDotHalbach

Eagle Member
The title says it all! What is your most memorable tournament moment? Mine was my very first tournament I was 14 at the time and had been playing for 3 months. I got assigned my card members at the meeting and we walked to the first hole. I had played the course 2 times before this for practice and we were assigned to the hole that was my favorite. It was a blind shot over a hill and it was just a fun hole. So the other two guys tee off and now it is my turn, my first tournament throw! I take out the trusty Champ Sidewinder that I was able to put on any line at the time and have it hold it to the ground. I proceed to throw it on a slight hyzer to get it over the hill and hopefully near the pin. As we reach the top of the hill I see my lie, about 50 feet away from the basket. I was the first one to throw and I just drained the putt, the two guys I were with were just blown away. That was a great start to a streak that lives to this day. Birdie the first hole of every tournament round.

That is my favorite tournament moment. What is yours?

Mine isn't so much a favorite memory. I played in my first and only tournament so far on new years day this year. I had a two stroke lead going into the final round and ended up letting the pressure get to me and ended up losing by one. I missed a few easy putts that would have won me the tournament but the one that will haunt me is the 10 footer I pissed away. Not a great tournament memory but not one I will forget either.

One of my first tourneys ever, birdied the first hole and was feeling good. Next hole, have a crappy drive, crappy upshot, leaving a horrible look for par. Threw my VP up the hill, between the trees, for a 75' par save. I was laughing my ass off; the people on my card were speechless.

Totally tanked the round, but that was awesome.

I was playing a charity doubles tournament 2 years ago and I parked a 350 foot roller 10 feet behind the basket. Probably my best shot to this day besides my 4 aces.

my favorite one was the first time i beat everyone on my card =] felt so good! even if i ended up still being far behind,at least i beat all those poor guys

I've had lots of great shots and lots of bad shots while playing tournaments over the past few years. My favorite moment actually lasted the whole round and it happened last fall.

The first round in this particular tournament I played terrible and ended up with the worst score in my field. They put me on a card with juniors second round, it was that bad. The juniors card consisted of 3 kids from out of town that were all about 12. They were friends and were not playing like they were in a tournament. They were playing as if it was a casual round, just trying to beat each other as they do every other day playing. It was very refreshing seeing kids having fun and enjoying the game without adding unnecessary pressure to it. I ended up treating the round as a casual round as well, offering them tips on their form, helping them with shot making, etc. We all ended up shooting better than our first round and I ended up recording my first ever 1000 rated round. The whole experience reminded me what disc golf is all about and made me realize I've been approaching tournaments wrong this whole time.

My first class win.

About halfway through, I was pulling a bigger lead, little by little, and canned a way outside the circle approach for a 2 after shanking a tree off the tee (South Mountain). You could feel the card deflate a bit.

4 holes left, the card all is sitting for tap in pars and I have a long birdie from behind a tree, and smashed center chains for the 2. Right then, I knew it was mine. Felt great.

Parking the third playoff hole to get my first (and only) sanctioned Open win.

I have a few:

Blowing a two shot lead in Am 2 on the second to last hole.

Hitting an ace on the very first throw of a tourney.

Playing lights out with two others on my card (second card in Am 1) in a constant back-and-forth battle. We topped all but one guy on the first card and I ended up in second.

I guess I have two:

First:
Being hit with a courtesy warning (for acting like an crybaby idiot) by the playing-partner TD during a FDR Fool's Fest in one of my first tournaments ever.

Second:
Making a 12' putt (as the second person) in the worst-shot doubles final round to seal the win in the 2010 Advanced Grand Masters Doubles World Championships...and just standing there for 2 or 3 seconds absorbing it all in.

I'm thinking the first lead - via a long, circuitous route - to the second :thmbup: .

Karl

Beating a 20 player Am field by 1 stroke to win after only playing for 4 months.

My first tournament win at the Battle on the Briar in October. Never played Greenbriar Community Course before. It was super windy and it's a wide open course. First round I had 8 bogeys and 8 birdies. I shot a 54 and was leading by 9 strokes. Everyone else had terrible rounds. I was shocked to say the least. The second round was one of the most fun rounds I've ever had. Knowing I had that huge cushion, I just relaxed and played some fun golf.

Definitely standing on hole 1 at Winthrop Gold in last year's USDGC and hearing "From Atlanta, Georgia..." in front of a small gallery for all four rounds...awesome, but it made me very nervous the first 2 rounds as I hit the 2nd tree from the teepad both times! However, I did feel better when I birdied the opening the hole the next 2 rounds and hearing applause. That felt good :)

My first ace was pretty sweet. I was having an awful round, missed some birdie putts, carded some fours and i step up to a whole where the previous round I hit a tree about 6 feet off the teepad. SO this round I decide to take a different approach and smash a buzzz on a slight hyzer. As soon as I let it go I knew it looked good. hit nothing but chains and got tangled.

My second ace was pretty cool too.

And my only sanctioned win was cool too.

Man, I think I just like everything about disc golf.

That was a great start to a streak that lives to this day. Birdie the first hole of every tournament round.

That's a pretty sweet steak. Until late last year, I'd won or tied for 1st on my card every first round. That steak ended when I moved up to Advanced full time.

But my most memorable tournament moment is actually a negative one. I'll never forget the time I won a tournament that had 46 people in my division, and my winnings were less than my entry fee. To this day, I'm just confused... :confused:

I've played many years and have hundreds of good memories. I really like playing a good steady final round and coming from behind for the win. In my experience I don't do well in holding onto a lead but I typically play better on the longer layouts used in final rounds. I'll list two memorable moments.

A few years ago I was on my last hole when the TD asked me to get an ace so he wouldn't have to figure out how to do a throw-off for the ace pot. I somehow did as he asked.

For the last two years I have gone to the DGCR Mid Atlantic Meet. I can only play on the Saturday because there is a PDGA Pro only event at Walnut Creek on the following Sunday. In 2010 I had a slow start and finished 2nd with a hot final round. In 2011 I had a decent 1st round which put me in the 2nd group. As I went to turn in my card after the 2nd round they was a group of players from the 1st group and Erik Smith from the 3rd group with their bags heading to hole #1. They were congratulating Erik on his hot round. He had apparently caught two of the leaders and they were preparing for a playoff. He had shot a 52 to go with his first round of 56. I walked by them and said "a 107 beats a 108" and continued on to the pavillion to turn in my card. They stood there speechless and then wandered off to the parking lot to put their discs away. Never count the old guy out.

My first ace was pretty sweet. I was having an awful round, missed some birdie putts, carded some fours and i step up to a whole where the previous round I hit a tree about 6 feet off the teepad. SO this round I decide to take a different approach and smash a buzzz on a slight hyzer. As soon as I let it go I knew it looked good. hit nothing but chains and got tangled.

My second ace was pretty cool too.

And my only sanctioned win was cool too.

Man, I think I just like everything about disc golf.

I witnessed that first ace :)

My MA2 win was cool. I had been playing advanced and dropped down to play int with my wife, I didn't expect to win but ended up the leader after round 1 of 4. After we all teed of on the first hole of round 2 I knew I was bagging and I had the win. I played some solid golf all weekend.

Of my 40 plus events I've got a lot of good memories.

Latest posts