• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What makes you more excited?

What makes you more excited?

• A long drive/approach parked for an easy birdie.

Votes: 34 49.3%
  • A long putt made for a huge par save.

Votes: 35 50.7%

• Total voters

BillyLrsn

Bogey Member
A: A long drive/approach parked for an easy birdie.
B: A long putt made for a huge par save.

For me it would have to be the putt. Nothing feels better than staring a bogie (or worse) dead in the eyes and making the par. Exhale, and then a feeling of relief!

Yes, I know this question is very open ended, but thought it would be a good discussion topic.

Easy birdie. Mainly because you look really friggen cool walking up to the basket after your drive and sitting your driver inside for the two. (every hole around here is par 3)

I have to go with the park job.

If I make a long putt to save par, I think on most holes I play that means I have had 1 or 2 not so good shots to be in that position. So it is more just a feeling of relief, rather than excitement. Driving is also the weakest part of my game.

Long putt for par save. My putts are terrible outside of the circle, so that would be a bigger deal for me.

I'm going to have to go with the birdie. A. its a better score = more exciting. B. having to LONG put to SAVE par means poor play prior to that (in most cases) and that isn't too exciting. As someone said above, it's more relief then excitement, imo.

I'm torn. I'd say for the sake of a single shot, I'd take the easy bird. Its a great feeling to hear the reactions from your cohorts around you at the teepad. Plus, I feel a lot better than I am when I park a hole.
That being said, if it were a tourney round, I'd say the long putt. Nothing builds momentum in a tourney like making putts, especially confidence building putts like the long one to save par.

I get more excited over a huge par save, but better overall about my game/myself with the parked birdie.

I also notice that the parked birdie, when occuring in a bad round, often passes and the player goes back to duffing around the links, where a huge par save more often than not causes the player to go on a tear afterwards and turn their bad round around.

My biggest problem with the huge par putt is focusing on the great putt, anticipating/expecting it to immediately raise the level of my game, and then fail to raise my game that round because I am focused on something other than the next shot. :wall:

I'll say the long drive/parked birdie.
I can't putt for S#*T lately, so I have to get close...

While getting a birdie is always nice and I have to admit it does feel pretty cool casually walking up and dropping your disc in for the deuce, I think not getting that bogey is better. It erases those negative thoughts and pumps you up for the next drive.

Definitely the long putt for par. Hitting a stroke saving shot like that is really clutch. Long par saves for me definitely feel better than parking a hole for birdie, because from the tee you don't feel the pressure of a possible bogey.

When you park a bird through a picture window sized opening in the brush, THAT'S a feeling I'd like to experience more often.

Definitely the long putt for par. Hitting a stroke saving shot like that is really clutch. Long par saves for me definitely feel better than parking a hole for birdie, because from the tee you don't feel the pressure of a possible bogey.

You just used my answer in your as a comparative view...in a tournament there is no better feeling then parking a hole and knowing its a deuce then you can think about the next shot...And I would rather not feel the looming bogey pressure putt especially during a tournament round. Overall they both have their advantages but parking a hole is never a bad thing and too much can go wrong on that long putt for me to rather make it although I have had this happen planty of times :D I just make the putt 65%-70% of the time if its outside the circle inside 70ft or so..just my opinion :D

This should have been a poll, and the great drive always gets me excited because I already expect to make all my putts inside of 25'.

This should have been a poll, and the great drive always gets me excited because I already expect to make all my putts inside of 25'.

Well said slow roll, I also expect to make all my putts inside my range(40ft) and inside 70ft is usually a 50% chance regardless...Any respectable golfer has to think that way or they aren't worth there salt

I feel like I should park every hole for birdy (I don't, but I feel like I should, lol), so when I do, it doesn't feel like anything special. However, I don't expect many putts outside of 30 to fall, so when they do, it is great. Each stroke is worth the same whether it is for birdy or par.