• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What makes you more excited?

What makes you more excited?

• A long drive/approach parked for an easy birdie.

Votes: 34 49.3%
  • A long putt made for a huge par save.

Votes: 35 50.7%

• Total voters
After reading feedback I started a poll. I do think that the "long birdie" is the obvious winner if it was a question, but that's not the question. The question is long par save or parked for birdie. Sorry, but I was busy at work all day, and this is the first time I have looked at this thread. I appreciate the feedback.

So, truthfully, I love every throw and I get excited for my next one. With that, I'm flying the handi this past Sunday and I'm off to a hot start. I'm parking holes and the guys in the group are talking about using the lead pipe to the knee trick in order to slow me down. I get to hole 7 and I'm 3 down. My drive hits the skinny middle finger tree in the fairway and shoots to the left. I have a nice line to the basket and I hit it perfect...too perfect as it skips 50 -60' passed the basket.
Now, I consider myself a good putter and others may tell you I'm being modest about it, but, this was no gimme' putt. Without stating the obvious, the putt saved my round and I killed it for 5 more birdies on the day. I have to say it was the long putt for par that made the round...Automatic Al strikes again!!
In this situation I would agree as I have had this happen a few times as well and it turned a decent round into an awesome round

Anyone ever define "long" here?

My answer would probably be the par-save putt, because I don't drive that far. Never did, and even less now. I presume parking a 250' hole doesn't count.

What's a "long" putt? 30'? 50'? 80'? I'll have to say that hitting a putt from 50' or more, even to save par, is easily more exiting that parking the kind of holes I can reach nowadays.

i went with the parked shot as well. to me the par save means i messed up my upshot and drive to to make that is mandatory. It is more of as big relief though than actually being excited as Chucker said up there.

Ummm no each stroke is not the same especially when one is for par and one is for birdie...par save means your score didn't change at all lol a birdie on the other hand.......and that is exactly why I would rather park holes instead of making long par saves, I prefer my score to go down rather then stay the same

Par is just a made up number. I mean, it kind of describes what an average player should get on a hole, but in the end it doesn't matter. If a person takes a 3 on a par 4 for birdie and a 3 on a par 3 for par, they get the same score.

The reason I would rather hit a long putt for par, is that if you don't park your up shot for a drop in birdie, you can still hit a long putt to save the birdie and save the stroke. If you don't hit that long putt for par, you will always being giving up that one stroke.

Glad this made it to a poll and right now its pretty evenly split with the putt having a slight edge.

For me the old adage holds sway. Drive for show, putt for dough. I routinely out drive many folks in my division and I can regularly hold my own with many open players when it comes to driving distance and accuracy. But 9 times out of 10 the great putters whup my a$$ no matter how well I'm driving.

I'm a fan of making the long putts. Don't get me wrong, parking a drive for a tap in birdie is always a great feeling ,but there is just something about seeing a long putt hit the chains and drop in that is so satisfying. Myself and one of my discing buddies have an ongoing competition for the longest putt. He recently took the lead with a 62 footer. We were tied at 57' before he drained that one!

Parking the hole is the most exciting for me. I enjoy easy deuces. What I like about the long par save is the deflated look on my opponent's faces.

Anyone ever define "long" here?

My answer would probably be the par-save putt, because I don't drive that far. Never did, and even less now. I presume parking a 250' hole doesn't count.

Don't worry David. 250' real life equates to 300'-350' internet distance anyway. Welcome to the big guns club sir.

I don't want to sound braggy but I'm going with the putt to save par.

The reason is this. I'm a much better driving then I am a putter. It's not uncommon for me to park a drive for an easy birdie but it is uncommon for me to sink a killer pressure putt. My putting is streaky, if I can get in a groove I'm decent but I got zero consistency. Need to work on that

Great question, as evidenced by the tight split on the poll. My buddy and I were just talking about this last night, what kinda good shot do you get the most excited about? We both agreed that sinking a long shot was more exciting than throwing a huge drive. Hitting the chains has a certain built in satisfaction to it. But when you add the additional parameters here it evens it out. Parked drive or a long par save. That changes things, and I notice in the discussion, most people invent more back story (tournament vs. casual round) to determin the weight of each situation.

And even though I think hitting chains from a distance is generally more exciting than a long drive, I imagine that long drive being so close to the basket would have another level of excitment, in that there is a thought of a potential ace mid-flight, that would make it more exciting than a long put after a botched shot or two.

Although banging a drive off a tree 10' away would be more exciting than sitting in front of this computer right now for sure...

I'm a long putt guy. I have missed those "easy" birdie shots before, and it can be a huge mental boost for my game.

The sound of the chains on a long par save is more immediately satisfying, but parked drive is much better, especially to your performance and the score.

A long, parked drive makes me more excited. A huge par save just makes me more relieved.

Huge par save for sure. It feels good to crush a drive and have a tap in, but for me that means that I probably had a fairly unobstructed view to an open basket on a par 3. You'll get a high five or two for that. But around here, there's some seriously legit 4's and 5's, where it takes 3 sweet shots in a row to get you that long par look. That's what I'm thinking of. Having 2 or 3 great shots in a row to set you up, not necessarily throwing a bad shot or hitting a tree to get you in that position. Then, when you hit that long par.... the sound of chains, it's awesome. That'll make anybody give a big fist pump when they hit it..... prolly even a 'woohoo'. That's more exciting. Plus, even crappy putters (like me) can park a drive every now and then, but to sink that long one everything's gotta line up just right.

Latest posts