• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What shots do you use understable mids for?

JTdisc

Eagle Member
I haven't quite figured out a use for my understable mids. What shots are you using them for? By understable I'm referring to discs like the Tangent or Fuse.

If I need something to go the opposite direction (opposite of the fade), I usually put a little anhyzer on my Core/Truth/Axis and it holds the line nicely. If I need it to flex out then I go to an OS disc like a Mace or Vector.

If I need something straight, the Truth works well and I rarely see the need to hyzerflip an understable disc.

If I thought about powering down a disc, I would probably just use a putter instead.

What am I missing? What shots should I reach for the Fuse or Tangent first?

I use a Meteor for a lot of finesse shots.

It probably gets the most use on shorter, powered down straight shots. I find powering down the Meteor gives me a lot more success than trying to push a putter out there, especially in the woods.

Late turning anhyzers and hyzer flips. Pretty much the same things I use understable drivers for, only shorter.

I haven't quite figured out a use for my understable mids. What shots are you using them for? By understable I'm referring to discs like the Tangent or Fuse.

If I need something to go the opposite direction (opposite of the fade), I usually put a little anhyzer on my Core/Truth/Axis and it holds the line nicely. If I need it to flex out then I go to an OS disc like a Mace or Vector.

If I need something straight, the Truth works well and I rarely see the need to hyzerflip an understable disc.

If I thought about powering down a disc, I would probably just use a putter instead.

What am I missing? What shots should I reach for the Fuse or Tangent first?

Good question.

For me, it's the fact that I prefer to release disc on a slight hyzer. It feels a lot more naturel with my probably poor form. I therefore use my understable mid, for me that is a beat up Gateway Element, to perform straight or slight turnover shots. When powering down a little, or with a nice snap, it can also do some super sweet long and very gradual hyzer lines (something that wouldn't work with an overstable for me, probably because of my lack of power though).
I can also release it flat when needed for a more pronounced anhyzer shot.
Lastly, understable mid can be very nice for long hyzer approaches when you have a significant tail wind.

Turnovers mostly, sometimes hyzerflips, once in a while sky anhyzers. For me the Fuse holds a nice gentle slow turn all the way to the ground thrown flat. 250-300 range. Under that typically I'll go to a putter.

I use my understable mids for a lot of shots. I love throwing my Stingray on a slight hyzer watching it flip flat and just glide for days moving from left to straight to right and back to straight again. Using your understable mids for driving on short holes is extremely intelligent because you're taking a lot of trouble out of play. You can also stretch out seasoned rocs a lot father than most mids because the more the get broken in the more glide they acquire for some reason.

For me its when i have a line i wanna keep lower and a slower turn. I also throw my mids a bit farther than most i believe so i want a more controlled assent to the ground so im not blowing past my mark with to much speed. I use an m4 for a long turnover shot and hyzer flips. Dont worry about it to much do what works but i just like throwing mids over drivers due to the speed issue

Slow anhyzers, straight shots and 200' tight shots in the woods. Comets and Meteors change lives.

love using my fuses for shorter holes with tight gaps so i can power them down and have them go straight. Also if i need to hit a straight gap with a right turn at the end (RHBH) i like throwing my fuse on a hyzerflip so it rides flat till the straight part ends and it eventually slowly turns over to the right. also great for sky anny's that will just ride its line the whole way!

LOVE THE FUSE!!!

Understable mids go a long, long ways on a super tight line in a tail wind. Its crazy to see, if you've never done it before. I was playing in some pretty strong wind a while back with a few other guys. We came to a ~470 hole with a wicked tailwind. Everyone else threw their high speed drivers, and they just faded, and dropped out of the sky early. I flipped a Roc there on a frozen rope and blew their minds. I acted like it was no big deal, but secretly I couldn't believe it got there.

Hyzer flips, soft shots

I use my Mako3 for hyzer flips in the woods and for short dead straight shots. It goes 200' without moving right or left, so is great for woods approaches. I can throw it very hard in the woods and can hyzer flip around trees and land softly and flat. I also use it for soft turning shots where a FH would be too aggressive.

But mainly it stays in my bag as a "just in case" disc, and doesn't get used. I'm not a fan of understable discs outside of certain specific shots that are needed. They are too unpredictable for me compared to a stable or Overstable disc of the same speed, or distance potential.

I have a Star Stingray that is perfect when I have limited arm movement. On a quarter swing throw the thing glides perfectly straight for a long time.

Stand and deliver hyzer flip short straight shots or late turnovers. I especially like the Tursas for this spot.

I use a beat up X Comet as my understable mid, and I find that I mainly throw it on wooded holes. There is a course that I play where the back 9 is essentially all in the woods, and I usually end up throwing my X Comet off of the majority of the tees on the back 9 at that course.

Uphill shots are a perfect use. You definitely want to go more understable than normal going uphill since the disc slows down faster. I'm sure I read that here, and it's been great advice.

I use them when I want putter line but I need more distance.

Latest posts