• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What Tees To Play From?

mrclc

Birdie Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
When I play a new course, I constantly struggle with deciding which tee to play from when multiple options are available. Originally I tried to play whichever tees were closer to a hole length average of ~293, since a mile per 18 holes seemed to fit my skill level. But this strategy soon wore thin as I felt like I was missing out on the optimal experience for courses that were designed with the longer tees in mind. Since I generally get to play a course only once when I'm traveling, making sure I play the "right tees" is a big deal. Here are my general criteria, a bit more evolved from my original:

1) Are any of the tees very clearly too easy or too hard for my ~850 skill level? Don't play those. (e.g. Ninigret Park reds)
2) Check the DGCR Scorebook to see if a certain tee is clearly more played than any other. Play that one. (e.g. Seviren Lang blacks)
3) When at the course, does any set of tees appear to be the "intended tee" to play from? For example, are the reds natural while the blues are concrete? I typically assume this means the designer gave the blues greater consideration and/or expected more players to use the blues. Therefore, I'll end up playing the blue tees. (e.g. IDGC - Steady Ed)
4) If all else fails, return to the mathematical 293 ft/hole approach.

The thread on disc golf superlatives mentioned Leviathan as being one of the more divisive courses in our game. This got me thinking on my tee selection dilemma, which was especially difficult at that course. The blacks seemed to be the intended tees (concrete), but were clearly beyond my skill level. However, the reds and the blues seemed to receive a comparable amount of play, and both were rubber. The blues fit my mathematical model, but I ultimately decided on the reds when I heard from multiple sources that the blues added little to the design of the course and served simply as extended reds. As a result, I enjoyed my round, but feel like I may have missed out on the best embodiment of the course.

Does anyone else dwell on these things, or am I just crazy? What are your criteria for deciding which tees to play?

Playing a new course, I generally play the long tees (with my very short arm), and take a look at the shorter ones. Basically, I want to see the "full" course. Sometimes I'll skip a long one if it looks too long, an uninteresting angle, or is unplayable for me (such as a water carry I can't clear).

But basically, when I first play a new course I'm checking out the course. Don't care what my score is, anybody else's score was, or which tees suit my skill level, assuming any do.

People get all undie-bunched about "playing the CORRECT tees / pins for your ability". "Correct tees" isn't as much about a person's ability but rather about that person's "purpose" of that specific round. If you're working on strategy, perhaps the longest tees (making some of them par-4s, the importance of where your tees shots lands, etc.) is better; if accuracy is your want, maybe go off the shorter tees. If you're in a "I need a hug" kind of blue-mood, treat yourself to the easiest (read: birdies galore!) layout possible. If you're chewing on nails and "want a beat'in", go long!

Karl

Ps: Personally I really like Ninigret's red...especially if I'm working on tight angled drives and putts.

I always do longs unless it's snowy or night.

If its my first time playing a course that I will prob play more, like a new local course I will play the shorts to get to know the course.

If im traveling I will always play the longs. When I'm travelling its not about the score its about the experience.

Playing a new course, I generally play the long tees (with my very short arm), and take a look at the shorter ones. Basically, I want to see the "full" course. Sometimes I'll skip a long one if it looks too long, an uninteresting angle, or is unplayable for me (such as a water carry I can't clear).

But basically, when I first play a new course I'm checking out the course. Don't care what my score is, anybody else's score was, or which tees suit my skill level, assuming any do.

^this. I usually choose the longs and check the shorts along the way. Most of the time, I really enjoy that first round on a new course, so free of expectations.

I just play whichever has the most interesting shot, as long as it's a casual round. Sometimes I just play the longs with a full bag, and go back and just play the shorts with putters.

Depends how easy/difficult it is and how I'm feeling throwing at the time. I've mixed and matched during a round just to get a feel for the difference sets of tees. I've already got a noodle arm, so if it's my 3rd or 4th round of the day during a trip, I don't see the need to exacerbate things by throwing from the longs.

I've also started out with the intent of throwing long or shorts, and changed mid round to adjust the challenge accordingly.

Last edited:

This sounds like a good idea. Challenging holes can help improve the mental game and approach to shots. Then when your arm gets distance, then challenging the longer or trickier holes is your next step. Remember to bring extra discs for the challenging water shots.

When I play a new course, I constantly struggle with deciding which tee to play from when multiple options are available. Originally I tried to play whichever tees were closer to a hole length average of ~293, since a mile per 18 holes seemed to fit my skill level. But this strategy soon wore thin as I felt like I was missing out on the optimal experience for courses that were designed with the longer tees in mind. Since I generally get to play a course only once when I'm traveling, making sure I play the "right tees" is a big deal. Here are my general criteria, a bit more evolved from my original:

1) Are any of the tees very clearly too easy or too hard for my ~850 skill level? Don't play those. (e.g. Ninigret Park reds)
2) Check the DGCR Scorebook to see if a certain tee is clearly more played than any other. Play that one. (e.g. Seviren Lang blacks)
3) When at the course, does any set of tees appear to be the "intended tee" to play from? For example, are the reds natural while the blues are concrete? I typically assume this means the designer gave the blues greater consideration and/or expected more players to use the blues. Therefore, I'll end up playing the blue tees. (e.g. IDGC - Steady Ed)
4) If all else fails, return to the mathematical 293 ft/hole approach.

The thread on disc golf superlatives mentioned Leviathan as being one of the more divisive courses in our game. This got me thinking on my tee selection dilemma, which was especially difficult at that course. The blacks seemed to be the intended tees (concrete), but were clearly beyond my skill level. However, the reds and the blues seemed to receive a comparable amount of play, and both were rubber. The blues fit my mathematical model, but I ultimately decided on the reds when I heard from multiple sources that the blues added little to the design of the course and served simply as extended reds. As a result, I enjoyed my round, but feel like I may have missed out on the best embodiment of the course.

Does anyone else dwell on these things, or am I just crazy? What are your criteria for deciding which tees to play?

I'm 998 rated, but that doesnt matter. When I step up to a tee (while traveling) either I like the shot or not. If i think the long is a poor hole or boring, Ill just play the short and Vice Versa. You can succeed or fail at any hole length, just have fun.

Or just play them both, does it really matter if you are just visiting a new course?

If I have traveled to a new course, I allot time to play several rounds, thus playing several sets of tees! Usually play the shorts first, especially if there are hidden baskets to get the general layout of the course if I am playing alone.

If I have a playing partner along, we usually opt for the longs for the first round, using spotters if necessary, and then wind down with the shorter round for the second go through!

Flip a disc, if there are more than 2 tees, flip a disc for 1 or 2, then flip it again for 2 or 3.

I play longs when travelling for the reasons given of wanting to experience the entire layout of the course. For local courses I play tournaments at, since I'm AM right now, I throw from shorts, but usually throw a few from both tees during a casual round.

This is sortof on topic right?

What tees do advanced and intermediate throw from in PDGA tournaments?

I havent played in tournaments yet, so I'm not sure if I should start in Advanced or Intermediate, but I dont have much interest in competing on short tees. I cant believe they make the pro ladies play on short tees... wtf is that?

If there are multiple tees per hole, but only one is concrete or flypad, I'll play that. If there are multiple tees per hole and more than one is concrete or flypad, I'll play the longs.

During friendly rounds we sometimes play that whoever has honors picks the tee for that hole. Just a fun way give a little something for the honors.

. . . What are your criteria for deciding which tees to play?

Option 1: Play the shorts to warm up and learn the course, and then play the longs. This is how I prefer to play a new course if time is available.

Option 2: Play the tee that looks most interesting. This is how I usually play local courses.

Option 3: Play from the tee that yields a multiple of your throwing distance. If you throw 300' off the tee and 270' from the fairway, then moderately open holes that are 280 - 320' or 550 - 580' should be a good challenge. In contrast, a hole that is 380' will probably be boring (drive, short approach, drop in par).

Adjust distances for tightness of fairways, elevation changes, etc.

This is sortof on topic right?

What tees do advanced and intermediate throw from in PDGA tournaments?

I havent played in tournaments yet, so I'm not sure if I should start in Advanced or Intermediate, but I dont have much interest in competing on short tees. I cant believe they make the pro ladies play on short tees... wtf is that?

It completely depends on the course and event. If you're concerned, you should check with the TD first.

A number of tournaments I play semi-regularly mix them up, anyway. So the Pros play 4 rounds long, Advanced 2 long, 2 short, below advanced 4 short, or something of the sort.

On some courses the short tees are still pretty long. I've rarely seen people playing shorter tees than are reasonable; when it happens, it's often the older divisions who do, and complain about it.