• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What throw(s) should I start trying to master next?

Jmorri67

Par Member
At the moment, I have a pretty good backhand drive(300-350 depending on the disc), serviceable forehand (200ish, just a get out of trouble shot basically), and a pretty good thumber/tomahawk(300ish). I can throw a decent hyzer and hyzer flip, but past those and the basics, I can't really do much. What other types of shots would help my game?

At the moment, I have a pretty good backhand drive(300-350 depending on the disc), serviceable forehand (200ish, just a get out of trouble shot basically), and a pretty good thumber/tomahawk(300ish). I can throw a decent hyzer and hyzer flip, but past those and the basics, I can't really do much. What other types of shots would help my game?

You can throw a tomahawk 300 feet??

I can throw a wicked Tommy about 350 feet....with an Aerobie Epic.

To the OP: there was a video made a couple years back hosted by Ken Clink and Dave Feldberg that will be a huge help to you. Its by Innova, and I think its just called "Disc Golf Fundamentals Volume 1" but I could be wrong. Either way, its available on Marshall Street.

One thing that helped me with anhyzers (and it is a very important shot...Id learn it before rollers) was learning to throw a pure anhyzer with an Overstable disc. Not a flex shot, but a smooth anhyzer line the whole way. It took a lot of practice but I'm now comfortable throwing anhyzers with just about any disc.

Go play a round all rollers and turbo putts. Then play several more. Repeat.

I dont know about turbo putting... I can turbo putt pretty well (around 75% from 20 feet), but I honestly never do. I just don't see a need for it.

I say anny and rollers.

I dont know about turbo putting... I can turbo putt pretty well (around 75% from 20 feet), but I honestly never do. I just don't see a need for it.

It seems as if turbo putts are common by me and other when playing in desert courses in the area after a bad landing. I use it when I have to putt with limited mobility when trying to putt with the regular stance when you have a big mesquite bush right in front of you, and the only way is over it with a turbo putt.

Used to play with this guy who would only throw overhand. He would park a 400' hole and then proceed to miss his putt. He didn't understand the importance of a strong putting game

Turbo putts are only important when you have no other shot at the basket. I use them one out of every five rounds. During my last tournament I made a crucial turbo putt that kept me in the round as well as the tournament. They are great to have...when you need them.

Anhyzer. Learn to throw all sorts of annys; low quick turningtunnel shot anhyzers, sky anhyzers that float and turn for days, etc... Be able to work an anhyzer as many ways as possible. And that includes, if you'd like to learn them, BH rollers, as those are just extreme anhyzers a lot of the time.

Putting. Straddle and regular stances. Learn your putters. Learn to drive with em. Learn to upshot with em. Literally the most important shot is 2nd shot. Whether you are putting or upshotting. You got to be in or near the basket.