• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What type of course do you like?

RootsDiscGolf

Bogey Member
I have some land that I am thinking about putting in a course. It is 100% wooded and was logged in the 30s so its mostly older growth trees and has a ton of logging trails on it. I have roughly 20 acres to work with. I have a very long bomber course about a mile down the road that has very long holes with the shortest being 275ft roughly. I am thinking of making a tight technical course on my land to offset the length of the other course.

Do you think I should go with a tight technical course? Or any other ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Unless you're really looking to clear a lot of land (with the time, labor, and tools to do so), it sounds like you'd be best served to go the "tight and technical" route.

The fact that it'd balance out another nearby bomber style course makes it an even better fit.

All of the above. Among other things, tight-and-technical fits more holes into 20 acres.

But---

I'm not sure you should care what anyone else prefers. It's your land---build the sort of course you like most, because you are going to be the primary user.

And whatever is within your ability to build and maintain. Because you're going to end up working on it, even more than you end up playing it.

With 20 acres you probably only have room for a shorter, technical course anyway, especially if you set aside a couple of acres for parking, bathrooms, etc. If it's just for you and your friends, then just find the 18 best holes on the property. If it will be a P2P or open to the public though, you'll need to spend more time thinking about flow, safety, shot variety, etc. If you have lots of newbies or kids that live nearby, you may also want to install 2 or 3 sets of tees to accommodate the different skill levels of the local players.

Unless you're really looking to clear a lot of land (with the time, labor, and tools to do so), it sounds like you'd be best served to go the "tight and technical" route.

The fact that it'd balance out another nearby bomber style course makes it an even better fit.

I have a dozer so clearing would not be a huge deal, but I would prefer to keep the woods intact if I can. I think the offset would be perfect.

I prefer technical, shorter courses anyway. Since you said there's already a long course close, it would make more sense to go with the tighter option, mix things up a bit.

I live in East Tennessee so we have some elevation changes. haha It has a pond on it that covers about 1 acre of land.

Well then, at least one wooded hole that is uphill across a corner of the pond, if that is doable.

I prefer technical, shorter courses anyway. Since you said there's already a long course close, it would make more sense to go with the tighter option, mix things up a bit.

Yeah, I do too. I do not have a 550ft arm. 400ft is pushing the end of my power.

I am a huge fan of technical, right courses. It really demands that you stay on point, and can make a shorter course feel incredibly challenging despite its size limitations.

Others have said it, but I'll re-iterate...build the course that suits the land you have. Don't worry about fitting it to a certain style, just take what the land gives you. Emphasis on YOU. You're designing the course, do what you think is best. Don't worry about what others want or need. Building a course and maintaining it relies on you having enthusiasm for it. A lot easier to be enthusiastic about something you created for yourself than about something created for others.

I'm will to take on any type of course. The only issue, that i have is safety on the course.It must be safe for the players and the others, that follow the game.