• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do you have to play a course to review it?

Sort of unrelated but also kind of on topic. How do you feel about a course designer/owner reviewing their own course? I know one of the local courses in my area got a 5 star review by the owner.

Sort of unrelated but also kind of on topic. How do you feel about a course designer/owner reviewing their own course? I know one of the local courses in my area got a 5 star review by the owner.

This is one of my pet peeves. However, I just gave a thumbs up to one because it was informative, and the designer told us up front that he is the designer. We have a local course where the designer gave his course 5 discs; other people tend to rate it around 3.5. Periodically, the designer "updates" his review so that it shows up first in the default listing. And he never says he is the course designer. I think the best solution to this situation, however, would be to have a separate spot for "designer review" with either no number rating or not have the number factor into the overall rating.

Course designer reviewing their own course can provide a goodly amount of insight, if one values the review more than the rating. I appreciate when they identify themselves as the course designer up front.

It is not surprising that designers often (but not always) rate their labor of love on the high side. I have no issue with this, within reason.

Edit: But what aclay describes above feels sketchy (but I probably thumbed up the same review lol).

Last edited:
If you just walk or even caddy a course, you aren't going to know what it's like to scramble or what the rough is like. How difficult a particular gap might be.

There is a lot missing from the experience of playing it.

But, if you state your basis for the review, you could still right a useful review of what you saw, just wouldn't carry as much weight as those that played the course.

I do not write reviews here. I am greatly indebted to those that do. If anyone has any information that I could find valuable, as a bagger, I am grateful. All I request is transparency, effective writing skill and a genuine interest in making the reviews here valuable and useful.

There are reviewers on here, some trusted ones even, that write wonderfully crafted reviews. I find some of them useless. Reviews are only as good at the information that I glean from them and as the information that is important to me. I have little use for a hole by hole breakdown, for example. I am sure it is valuable to someone, it is just not the information I seek, as a traveling player.

Reviews > rating.

Last edited:
… would be to have a separate spot for "designer review" with either no number rating or not have the number factor into the overall rating.

No rating review sounds like a good option. Might satisfy some 'let me tell you about my pretty baby' need.

A designer/owner (or any member) can edit course info and add links, photos, maps and hole notes instead of a review. That is useful engagement with the DGCR.

This is one of my pet peeves. However, I just gave a thumbs up to one because it was informative, and the designer told us up front that he is the designer. We have a local course where the designer gave his course 5 discs; other people tend to rate it around 3.5. Periodically, the designer "updates" his review so that it shows up first in the default listing. And he never says he is the course designer. I think the best solution to this situation, however, would be to have a separate spot for "designer review" with either no number rating or not have the number factor into the overall rating.

i saw that review and it was helpful and he did state in the first sentence that he was the course designer. much appreciated.

it's pretty lame when the designer gives an inflated rating but it's no different than any other homer doing the same thing. we don't take those reviews down or put them in a different section or take away their rating so i don't see why that should happen to a designer's review.

does anyone remember who has been here awhile... i thought i remembered one of the review ground rules (that brentjacob posted earlier in this thread) used to include a comment on course designers writing reviews. i am imagining this? having some kind of rule there gives a recourse for people to report a review that is clearly unfairly biased.

There was a old user who was vilified on here for *possibly* walking courses and not playing them. I don't think it would be any different if that happened today?

A perfect review by a course designer / owner is always shady in my book. I'm guessing you are referring to Haybro which when I played it in 2019 was in no way shape or form a perfect course.

A perfect review by a course designer / owner is always shady in my book. I'm guessing you are referring to Haybro which when I played it in 2019 was in no way shape or form a perfect course.

He may be referring to a certain course, but designers/builders/owners rating their courses with 5's or grossly inflated ratings, is not uncommon.

He may be referring to a certain course, but designers/builders/owners rating their courses with 5's or grossly inflated ratings, is not uncommon.

Fair point. I supposed I replied since I thought I knew what course he was referencing. Not familiar with other course owner reviews I guess.

Fortunately, unlike the local homers, there's generally only one designer per course, so a single inflated rating isn't going to have much effect on the course's overall rating. Except where there are very few reviews, in which case any information is helpful.

And since this thread started with the question of a tournament spectator writing a review, I'd hope that there are few enough of those to not effect things much, either.