• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] What Was Your First Disc(s)

When I went to the store to get my first discs the guy suggested a dx aviar pna (good suggestion), a dx shark (good suggestion), and a dx firebird (insanely terrible suggestion).

Did some research on here before I bought any discs. Walked away with an Avenger SS (I hated at the time because I had no idea what I was doing), a Z Buzzz and a soft Challenger. I ended up just throwing the Buzzz on just about everything, turned out I ended up pretty good off since I didn't like the Avenger, and I threw the Buzzz a lot. Now I wouldn't trade my Avenger SS for anything. Just need it in Ti plastic.

Challenger, Valkyrie, and a beat to hell ROC given to me by my father in law. Best discs I could have started with.

Back around 2000 I picked up a bar stamp DX Eagle, a bar stamp DX Viper, an Omega Super Soft, and a purple bar stamp DX Birdie. I still have all of them.

Saw these funny looking chain gizmos at a local park when my daughter was running a cross country meet. Asked someone what they were and they said it was some crazy hippie game using frisbees. Since I used to be pretty good tossing Frisbees on the beach and casual Ultimate games I thought I'd try. Bought two (me + wife) Innova starter kits (Leo, Shark, Aviar). My first individual disc purchase was a white DX beast with rainbow stamp. I used to use that beast a lot but it got so flippy I only used it for rollers. Lost it in the water but found it several months later when I went in after another disc.

I no longer use any of those molds but still have those discs in the boxes with all the others I've purchased since.

My first four discs were a pro destroyer, dx: leopard, skeeter, and polecat. The destroyer got shelved after about two throws of the leopard went further than any throw with the destroyer.

The first disc i ever bought was a red DX Shark (no Champion back in that day). I only bought one disc from PIAS, and proudly went out to the course for a practice round. On hole four, I threw it up into a tree and couldn't get it down. I sheepishly walked off the course and went home :).

My first discs were from a starter kit in Target. They were Frisbee brand. crappiest discs I have ever seen. I didn't know any better at the time but got laughed at by my friend that got me into it. They were in fact shameful I ended up breaking the fairway driver and replaced it with an TeeDevil <-Fail. made a lot of poor disc selections until I joined here and started reading that I needed to disc-down.

All DX discs...Aviar, Shark, and Archangel. I added a Cheetah and Champ Leopard shortly after that. This was about 15 years ago.

This gives me an idea. I think I'm going to film a 9 hole round using the oldest discs in my collection. The molds I threw back in the day. Wizards, Rocs, Leopards, Roadrunners, Firebirds etc.

Anyways my first discs were a Star Aviar and Star Leopard. Loved the leo, never liked Aviars. Too deep.

Hey Mike, did you ever make this video? I would be interested in watching it for sure. :thmbup:

For me it was a dragon and a whippet. This was an incredibly foolish endeavor of mine when all I knew was to look at logo's and pick based off of that.

When I got smart? Wizard and Buzzz.

Pink 172g Pro-D Challenger and an orange 175g Sirius? Orion LF. I still have the
Challenger I've since retired it and is on my wall, but I traded away the OLF. Not the best first discs but I did end up loving the Challenger after I learned how to throw.

I think perhaps I've said this before on the forum, but I first decided to try disc golf because my little brother was visiting me in college and I wanted something for us to do other than video games. So we decided to check out the local course, but neither of knew anything about the game. We went to Wal-Mart (which only had DX discs) and I decided to buy a putter, mid, and driver. We made decisions purely based on how much we liked the stamps, so my first discs were a Rhyno, Gator, and Teebird. Needless to say, it was not a good starter set... especially for 2 people who had only ever played Ultimate. I stuck with the Teebird for a long while (before losing it in a lake) but the Gator and Rhyno never got much use. Both of them are now wall hangers (the Rhyno at my house, the Gator at my brother's) to remember what started this crazy obsession of ours.

DX Beast and a Birdie. The Birdie was the only putter the store had unless you got the starter pack with the Aviar. I didn't want to drop that much coin on it (if only that was the case now)

Polecat and a max weight DX destroyer. I Noob hyzer'd the crap out of that Destroyer for months before I finally picked up a DX Teebird and a Shark.